Test Tube Meat

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Spidermonkey, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

This would be funny if it wasn't so scary. I've noticed a dramatic slide in meat quality in Australia over the last 15 years. Thankfully the local supermarkets have given up on undercutting the few independat butchers left and now charge more. The stuff that supermarkets offer can be absolutely awful. Your friendly independent butcher? I master at his trade, cares about where it comes from and charges the same if not less than than the horrible fare scraped together in the supermarket. I don't raise and butcher my own meat, nor do I have friends that do either so a butcher is the next best option for me and may they never become extinct through unfair competition.

2. labradel

labradel Junior Member

you know if you get on good terms with the butcher then he may even give you an even better deal making the supetrmarket even worse value

3. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Junior Member

I think it would be good if it were possible to approach an organic farmer and buy a "share" in a bull, pig or lamb with other families and when the animal is slaughtered you go and collect your share of the meat. There is probably laws against it but I think it would benefit the farmer by having the funding for his animals up front and reduce his reliance on the supermarkets, and it would benefit the customers as you know that the meat is of a good quality and raised well as you have visited the farm. Or if not you take your business elsewhere.

Ford once boasted that they don't make cars that havent been sold. Imagine if we could free our farmers in this way to pursue better practices. You buy from the farmer who's methods you approve of.

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Dirt I call everything I don't like tripe or crap or just shit. Childhood nightmares of being served the white stuff that nearly made me vomit. Same thing with melts and rabbit (yes saw the bunny in the pot and that was that). but yes I would probably eat it if I was starving over any of this test tube meat. I still wonder how though with the rise of the middle class in Asia and the trend towards eating more meat, how there will be enough. Meat takes so many resources to produce, food, water etc.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Like a CSA of meat? I like the idea.. need to talk to some people around here.

6. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Please support your local butcher here in Australia .. you would struggle to find 1 in USA as big stores have put most out of business . We have 2 in my small town as well as an organic one out of town and some excellent ones in very small nearby towns. Also a few farmers who select superior stock and feed on grass .. 'Bingle Bay' a brand to loook out for if you are up in the tropics dining out .

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am convinced the West Coast of the USA has no clue wtf a Butcher is aside from ones that work on breaking down elk, and other wild game.

8. Try Reason

Try Reason Junior Member

Something effectively the same with dairy would make life so much easier (and better) too. Pay for the product and the process on site.

I sometimes day dream about having a business cluster available to me in which a bakery, butcher, green grocer and dairy producer all occupy one arcade or space. Would have to generate good business even if the giant vampires did undercut them for months and months.