Terras Patch

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Terra, Aug 23, 2012.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

What's crazy about grain harvest time (She who has never been close to it asks....)?

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

Dear Eco take a ride in a Grain Truck is probably the best way to understand . Hmmm trying to keep up with monster harvest machines , Drivers that try to get an extra load a day in that's bordering on impossible so they push push push . Dills that make idiotic overtaking risks in their cars and trucks , having to make decisions on the run at the grain testing station that effect your employer in the thousands of dollars . Hot , grain dust , flat tyres on loaded trucks in difficult situations . I think your getting the drift . :think:

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yup…. Best to stay at home with the blinds drawn by the sounds of it….

4. Terra

Terra Moderator

I don't know what the worlds coming to I had to SIGN in today

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

I have to sign in everytime now I havnt had to sign in for probably a year =(

6. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Hopefully you had your password tattooed on the back of your hand. I couldn't remember mine, and when the site gave me a new one it wouldn't work and sent me back to get another new one. I forgot how I finnally got back in. CRSA. Y'all were all telling me to click that little box before signing in. If I didn't love you blokes and shielas so much, I'd have dumped the whole mess and called it quits. If I hadn't found a way back in (with help from the computer geek) I would have just started writing to Brian and ECO with a two week wait for answers. As it is, I'm on the computer first thing after making coffee to see what y'all have posted while I was sleeping.

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

A shearer who sheared ozzie sheep
    began shearing sheep in his sleep
    He awoke with a start
    and a screaming young tart
    there beside him, her hair in a heap.

Thank you, Thank you. The Bard has left the building.

8. Terra

Terra Moderator

That poems a ripper Ben
    Is that one of yours
    Mrs Terra needs a hair cut so I better be careful and cable tie my hands at night , happy wife happy life .

9. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hmmmm big Xross roads for the Terras

We have sold our place after moveing here in 1988 rebuilding the place (Run down) then rebuilding again after the 2005 bushfire .

Just cant stand the every increasing chemical circus that surrounds us in every direction , the pastures don't even grow properly the ground is dying I recon . The "weeds" on the road sides get shoulder high but we are not seeing that growth in paddocks anywhere . The main change I see is the massive increase in insecticides which of course kills everything .

The final straw that tipped me over the edge was end of august last year , now the bloke that crops my farm is a good operator he knows my issue with chemicals , it wasn't really his fault I did ask him when he was going to spray and he did tell me ( I normally cover the tanks and most of the beds and shut down the water pump on the aquaponic system and run the airpump inside the house and run a long air line out to the fish tanks ) however Mrs Terra was in and out of hospital and I was shearing was leaving in the dark and returned in the dark , and too much going on in my head I just forgot.

The canola had to be sprayed for aphids as they were spreading the virus that wipes crops out it , blew nth east for three days and by then all my fish were dead , so my whole house food garden fruit trees the whole shooting works were no doubt contaminated. Cant remember the chemical but reading the label it was RED HOT on warnings about aquatic life .

I Nearly died from long term small and large exposure to insecticides while shearing through the 80s and 90s when sheep were treated on the shearing board for flystrike before we let them go after shearing them , and back lined with chemicals in long wool . So some days we would breath the spilled chemical all day of course there was warnings on the labels but no one read them back then . Im Hot on it now if anyone trys it now they get a scolding lecture from me and the young blokes get educated about the danger.

My balance is damaged its really wrecked me im super sensitive to preservatives ect.

So this is why I don't work my farm (very small exposures to anything makes me sick) , also these days we need three farms like this to be viable just been hanging around the last few years to see what happens with the youngest Miss Terra , and working off farm to keep the wheels turning .

Now if we had scrub all around us and were 700kms closer to markets this would be a great intensive livestock property set up with permaculture principles . I never did much cropping , We ran a lot of sheep , a 30 sow piggery and cropped enough barley and wheat for the pigs and sup feeding of sheep (hay and lupins) and both worked off farm a bit as well . But its not going to happen .

Sad but excited we are likely moving to a small property in a area with HALF the rainfall so challenges by the truck load , this has been in the wind for a few years now and was the main driver for learning about Aquaponic systems (Very water efficient) if you have no stuff ups :shake: :p .

So what to take and what to rehome is the burning question every waking moment amazing the volume of "Stuff" that seems to self breed in the back of cupboards and corners of sheds.

Terra sometimes Terrafied 8)

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    wow Terra, that is a huge change, i hope you can find a decent place to call home.

i understand the feeling of being surrounded by people who are spraying.

11. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yes Terra.

Sometimes, while getting a kick out of some of these posts, I just can't help myself. I hope you don't mind, but while at the weekly poker game, I used your tag and got a big laugh all around. You knew already I'm 83 so the line worked pretty well. I always get a big smile from cashiers in the local stores, then I realized they smile at all the old farts. Probably thankful we haven't died right there in front of them. Oh well, a smile of relief is better than a scowl of disdain.

Back to the subject at hand, almost all of my poetry stays at 'Hello from South Carolina" I'm impressed by your line of work. I've never done it and probably will never get the opportunity to mess up some poor sheep's clothing.

I've done many things through the years
    Brought many a lassie to tears
    but never a ewe
    Shall I be unkind to
    They've nothing to fear...from my shears

Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben

12. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Terra.

I just finished reading your last post. If I had read it before I posted the post above, I'd not have been so flippant. You have my heartfelt compassion. That, and a dollar (used to be a dime) will get you a cuppa java, I know, but It does sadden me somewhat.

I still say your avitar looks like Gregory Peck.

Love is the answer

Uncle Ben

13. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

good luck with all that!!!

8)
    plenty of room here!

14. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Sounds like you'll be fighting a losing battle by staying there. Just seems so unfair that the surrounding properties can get away with soaking your property in that toxic stuff, then your the one that's forced to move, Id be furious. Same with the GM crops, its disappointing that they take zero responsibility for their actions. Especially when it affect others on such a large scale.

Look forward to seeing what you find next Terra and sorry to hear about your property.

15. Terra

Terra Moderator

Oh well the world keeps turning , we can do a few things now without being tied here .

Andrew you will get a visit we intend to travel and work a bit to pay our way , also Curra and Eco and Helen whos moveing around a bit so that's why she has been quiet and there will be others no doubt once we get to know them . Rellies in Sydney we must spend some time with , Son and grandies in Qld we really must get a wriggle on time is ticking by .

Will probably do some Blaze aid volunteer work good way of making usefull contacts from all around the country , camps on in our state now but I think I will be busy for the next few weeks .

I will finally get a chance to do a PDC , previously because of timing they were prohibitive as once you add to the cost the travelling and two weeks lost work the cost for me would be up around $10000 and I doubt I would get that value .

Good on you Ben I think I will be laughing a lot more from now on so have one on me , lifes too short , I recon though we have seen the best years the comeing generations biggest threat will be population explosion and everything associated with it .

Looking at a place on Monday bit expensive but ticks most boxes , small 13acre property , No sprays comeing over fence , scrub all round ,smallish modern well insulated house , BIG shed with cement floor (lots and lots of rain catchment) 6.5 kw solar , plenty tanks , BIG greenhouse , all less than 15yrs old , 10 min from a town with most services and quiet bitumen roads to get there .

This area has miles and miles and miles of quiet bitumen roads perfect for hooning around on my 80 yr old bike for those who haven't seen it , its been in my family at least 75 yrs but probably from new no one left to confirm but I know my father rode it as a teenager and it probably came to him from the family partnership as being a big strong man amongst lots of little family members its likely he was the only one strong enough to start it LOL.

So Andrew if you hear a Roar like a wounded Bull it might be me comein up the track .

Attached Files:

16. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Glad to hear you have found a new place that will work for you.
    We had to look for five years before we found our land, the only thing we wanted but didn't get was a year round stream. Now we are looking into starting up a breeding program for Guinea Hogs and American Blue Rabbits. Hoping to keep these animals for both profit through sales and for our own meat needs.

Luck to you and your family.

17. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Onwards and upwards Terra! Always a big upheaval when you change places, hoarded stuff to the dump, unearthed lost treasures, dredged up memories. By coincidence I visited an aquaponics setup the other day which incorporated native fish fingerling production with leafy vegetable crops under plastic. I was impressed that it supported three different families on the one small block of land. Good luck settling into your new dry-land paradise mate. Always a spare room, a beer and a feed here when you're on the wallaby.

18. Terra

Terra Moderator

Im still around although pretty busy , half way through shifting stuff , had the opportunity to get our furniture and a heap of sundries on a back load truck at a very good price so we are living out of boxes and borrowed furniture for a month . New place is 700kms away so just wanged our stuff into storage at a friends place 20kms from our new place . Pain moving it twice but too good to miss , have to do another truck load of my tractor and metal heavy sundries heap of good steel lengths ect . And probably two loads in the horse float and Landcruiser of tools , last of furniture motor bikes ect . There has been an extraordinary amount of stuff to get rid of but we are getting there .Two thirds of my Aquaponics system has been pulled down and shifted . End of march we are out and in "No Mans Land" for ten days so that will be interesting might do a little trip in the caravan . Havnt been online much our main "Tower" is out so have dreadfull signal strength . I will be Back

19. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i lived out of the back of my car for months at a time. found out i sleep better in the car than i do in a tent.

take good care of yourselves, that's a lot of lifting and shifting. : )

20. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Just thinking about your move Terra, hope it goes as you wish it. My old man simply used to say "If you really want to do something enough, you will". Just remember there is a van site here in the orchard and some daggy sheep if you are passing through. Cheers.