Terra! Help please ...

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by helenlee, Jun 12, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I dunno ...
    In my case it's a 2 pronged thing I think.

1. is that almost everything I/we ("we" being whichever current bloke) have ever owned has had something "special" about it. You know, special? "Special" meaning difficult, requiring unusual knowledge skill or patience to operate it, or just as a euphemism for rooted.

2. It's a bloke thing ... you know how they (OK ... some of them ... but all of the ones I've known : / ) whinge about you not helping ... & then when you do something, they race over & take whatever it is you're using out of your hands & tell you not to do that because it's too dangerous???
    So you either never get to learn how to use said dangerous thing, or, when you do eventually need to use it ... see 1.
    The bloody thing doesn't work properly, & when you ask to be shown how to do whatever trick it is you need to do to make it work, they blow you off, because they never actually wanted you to use the bloody thing anyway, they just wanted to have a whinge.
    And I know this is true because they only whinge about things that involve machinery. They never ever whinge about you using the compost bin, the sink, emptying the dunny, shovelling cow shit, cleaning up after babies or children, washing floors & the like.
    They also reserve the right to demand that you can miraculously, when the situation is desperate, drive the bloody dozer or help wedge over a tree that is about to fall in the wrong direction (these are actual examples) or some other stupid, dangerous thing you've never done before just because they urgently need you to do it right then!
    Men!

Geez ... that's a pretty cranky anti-bloke rave : ) I better stick another couple of patches on my butt : )

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yup - you are singing my song Helen! I have had that experience too.

Mind you I have seen women do the same thing to men on the domestic front - whinging that he never makes the bed, then telling him he did it all wrong and remaking it in front of the house guest (me) was the worst I have ever seen!

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

OMG!!! YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU HAVE STAYED AT MY MOTHERS HOUSE!!!???
    She actually, literally, re-pegged an entire load of washing when I went up there when Mitchell was a baby. It was his nappies & onesies & stuff. Now that really is a fantastic way to inspire confidence in a new Mum, right? I don't do a darn thing (on the extremely rare occasions) I go up there now ... it's just not worth it : (

I can be a little bit like than myself - don't tell anyone! : ) ... but I try really hard to keep it on a short leash these days : )

4. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hmmmmmm Chainsaws

This is outside the square as I tend to drift there

Chainsaws and Lawnmowers are like "Normal Humans" they like to do the same thing in the same order every time year in year out , so you must organise your self to align with this , trouble being until you KNOW the special regimented routine your basically stuffed .

My Saws , (1) massive 088 Sthil it must have fresh fuel (old fuel loses its kick from partial evaporation)
    (2) Do aircleaner
    (3) stand with foot on handle apply fullchoke press in decompressor button
    (4) Pull start rope until it fires once usually around 7 to 9 pulls or until exhausted (go away try later)
    (5) select half choke position push in decompressor brace yourself pull until it starts around 4 to 5 pulls pin the bast&%[email protected] down until its warmed a bit .
    (6) select run position and im away

Deviate from this and im wasting my time , my little Saw is a completely different personality I wont go there as you get picture .

Point being we need to find what works for you look look look. You need spark and fuel for the motor to run 8)

Start by looking at the spark plug (pull it out) if its brown its good , if its white or black the mixture settings (either carby or fuel / oil mix is off or aircleaner is clogged and working against you )

GET VOLUNTEER TO HOLD SPARK PLUG while you pull it over (so you know plug is good)(im glad im long way away) or use the usual boring method of sitting plug on top of motor while you pull it over hoping for spark (plug may be stuffed / cracked / clogged with carbon up in side shorting it )

Do aircleaner (my little saw caught me with this the first time as the I have to pull the pad out to see the dirty side it looked clean but draws air and was dirty on the under side)

Fresh fuel will help a lot if its been in a "vented" storage tank it can lose its kick. 50 to 1 oil fuel mix more oil will make starting harder

Put fuel in :p

It should have a choke and run position on the start stop switch / control

Pull a few times until you think it should have fired check to see if spark plug is dry or wet from fuel , sometimes if its been sitting for a long period my little saw avoids pumping fuel so I will put a few drops in the spark plug hole so I don't have to pull it 80 times once its been running its ok .

You can find free owners manuals online for anything these days

Just be passively persistant there is a reason why it wont run if its really really easy to pull over with no compression its in need of work (unlikely unless dirt has got into the motor) that happened to my big saw in the bushfire cleanup I was stuffed didn't pay attention to the air cleaner ect ect .

Main thing with chainsaws that do actually run is they are dangerous pay attention to chain tension not too tight not ever ever EVER too loose , :sweat: a derailed chain will rip you to bits the chain will wear and loosen and will vary tension once the bar warms up , my little saw is ok but the big brute im adjusting it often also don't leave it too tight when you stop as shrinkage on a very hot long bar as it cools can damage bearings

Ive just got home last night so I better go and check things its filthy wet and cold here , I will be on the Armstrong wood splitter before the days out .

Good luck .

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Terra - that is priceless knowledge! You need to run courses or write a book or both...

6. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Chainsaws

My dad's Quote: " Son, there's two things you never loan- your wife and your chainsaw"

My wife often asks me why we have an 090, 088, a 660magnum, a 044 magnum and several 009's plus a collection of rolls of chain, bars, sprockets, wedges, rivet spinners, air filters, files and holders etc. I reply, the 090 is for ripping posts and MF large trees in half, the 088 on the mill for slabbing, the 660 for falling big trees, the 044 for falling mid range trees and firewood, the 009's for morticing fence posts and gardening stuff. All logical to a bloke on the land? I quite enjoy sharpening and tuning the local district saws and dressing bars etc. Good Karma and swap value for other stuff.
    Terra you are a legend.

7. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Climate:
    Back at you

I blush when I read this, how bloody true! When does the cathartic, spontaneous and romantic kiss and make up bit come in ?

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

And that's the icing on the cake isn't it? : ) One is then expected to forget that one is furious, & get all hot & slippery at the drop of a hat as well.
    sigh.
    sigh sigh sigh.
    It was Jerry Hall who said a woman should be a chef in the kitchen, a maid in the lounge room & a whore in the bedroom. (I'm sure she would have added a dreadnought in the shearing shed & a crack rider if she'd been an Australian sheila.) It's a pity I didn't figure out Jerry Hall wasn't an authority what blokes likely to make wonderful life mates were looking for a bit earlier.
    sigh indeed.

How's the Territory treating you?
    : )

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Bloody hell. This is definitely reading for tomorrow, not tonight. I've been out all day ... took Ms 21 to Bellingen for her birthday. sigh. Big day. Bad, bad headache. Very sorry wallet. Long drive home : (

Thank you. Thank you very much for taking the time to write all this : )
    I appreciate it. A lot. You're a doll : )

So ... how'd the bike go? : )

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh god help me ...
    She was reading over my shoulder, & indignantly exclaimed "What do you mean you're tired??? *I* drove over there, & half the way back!!! Why are *you* tired???"
    Yeah. I wonder? I am *completely* stumped as to what could be tiring about being a passenger to an L plater on a steep corrugated dirt road with more twists & turns that a cut snake, a short dash up the highway with semi's & idiots towing caravans whizzing past in both directions, & a cheery saunter through the Saturday morning Bello traffic, with every man & his dog trying to find a park right outside their favourite latte shop. And then, after surviving the day out, to have to repeat the horror in reverse, & this time in the dark!!! Nope, no idea why I might be feeling tired =:|

And then, as god is my witness, she said "And that's a shit website they've got. It needs updating. Look at the font! It's hopeless." And do you know WHY the PRI website looks shit????? Because she has used all my bloody internet allowance, & the best I can get this site to load is some jumbled, junked, eroded, corroded, smashed up litter of signs & symbols all thrown together in such an untidy heap that it has taken me an hour & a half to make these 3 posts!!!

So now, before anything else awful can happen, I'm going to bed : )

11. Terra

Terra Moderator

Didn't get to ride it exhausts and chain cover and a couple other bits are still at the chrome place , but it was worth the trip the local police officer is an old bike enthusiast and can help with paper work to get registration (bit of a process) . I now have a frame no which I was concerned about I thought I might have to sand blast the frame to find it , so all good .

Attached Files:

12. Terra

Terra Moderator

What we need to defeat the young Miss download stealers is a daily limit then they would get sick of it as well .

13. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Climate:
    I fly to Cairns Thursday, then by 5 seater plane on Friday morning 700km up the Barron Gorge and over the gulf rivers to Birri in the Gulf 30 km offshore( Queensland still), On the water Friday after lunch and a beer. No internet or phone there, just lots of locals to catch up with after along absence that make me feel very whitey, back in a while.
    Jerry Hall, what a show pony! I reckon that my wonderful life mate meets or excels most of those criteria less the dreadnought bit and the bedroom bit is just too private to discourse upon. I must add that my better half is also over 6 feet tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes, without the Texan drawl and has a pretty good seat on a spirited horse.
    Weird stuff, your Mum is the same age as mine and my Dad was born in March 1920, a few years shy of yours.
    Sounds like the axe head is a pain in the arse. I have dozens and I also make the handles, come and take your pick. One of those over-reactive, compulsive collection things from having to use crap as a kid.

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Thanks for the tip : ) I'm checking it out now ... : )

The bike looks fabulous. You're doing a great job of it : )
    You must be just itching to get it finished so you can take her for a spin : )
    Glad you guys had a nice little get away : )

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It's great to get away from technology isn't it? When you're away you wonder what on earth it is you find so attractive about being "connected", & you remember what connected really means : )

I'm glad your long tall blonde got a better man than Ms Hall did : ) The couple of times I've seen her interviewed I was impressed with her Southern manners & sweet demeanour. I've never heard her say anything unladylike, even about Mick. She must be a saint : )

I'm grateful to have been born to old parents who were raised on farms & who lived through war & depression. I have a very different view of the world than people my age who were born to 20-something parents.

The axe head was only a drama because both my hands were sore & then I hurt my right elbow as well - so I was pretty handicapped! I'm not liking this new reality called ageing, & bits of me not working like they used to. It sucks : (

Sounds like you have a fantastic little trip planned. Enjoy yourself & stay safe. And don't forget to post photos : )

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Did you get the axe head sorted in the end Helen?