tech help, Murray?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Hi,
    I foolishly clicked on a link posted in the "gigs" section here and after I did my puter starting being really sluggish and then little things popped up saying if my puter was running slowly I should download WIN spywarestoppersomethingorother, and it LOOKED like it was a Windows product. Then a window pops up with click here to d/l now...I kept clicking cancel and went and downloaded a trial version of AVG virus thingy (my Norton is out of date, no money) Also, other windows pop up that are matching services :(
    AVG found something in temp internet files called "dropper" which I sent to the vault, and my puter is still being slow. Playing my game, Griddler, at Playsite is very frustrating as it lags when I try to place my tiles and it's like on a time delay.
    Any hints? I'm totally puter challenged, so keep it simple :D
    Thank you.

2. ~Tullymoor~

Cancel that for now, I'm such a dropkick! :oops: How embarassment, the AVG was running in the background just then when I posted, making it lag.
    It found no nasties and it's all running fine.

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Hey Tully , It may help to run a anti-spyware program ...

https://www.lavasoftusa.com

adaware is a free program that will scan your computer for any nasty spyware programs and files (normally NOT detected by anti-virus).

From memory it is about a 2mb download. I use it on my netowrk and it is a great little app..

Good luck

4. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

spyware would probably be a better program....it's free to download...whereas adaware checks for things on your computer spyware will actually stop them getting on there in the first place. I'll try and find a link for you.

5. Cornonthecob

6. murray

murray Junior Member

whoa. sorry. got here late.

everything ok now?

8)

7. ~Tullymoor~

Ooooooook, so I already had AdAware lol son must have installed it for me when he set up the puter, told you I'm a nong :oops:
    So, I did a scan and it found 27 objects. One of them was in my favourites, Playsite....it said something about hackers. Is that bad?

Then I d/loaded the upgrade 1.06 and it's in the process of doing it's full scan now. Be interesting to see how many objects it finds this time.

So, should I get the one Cornonthecob suggested as well?? :? Is it automatic or do I have to remember to do a scan? AdAware isn't auto is it??
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    BTW, I have Spybot...is that any good? Son must have gotten me that also. Does it do different things to Ad Aware? Is it ok to have all these things on my puter or should I just have one?

8. ~Tullymoor~

AVG keeps popping up every now and again saying virus detected in C:\ volume something or other...should have written it down. Why would I have a trojan named dropper in my volume bits?? :? :? :? :?

9. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Tully,

Yes, it's ok to run several different programs as you're doing. It's referred to as 'layering' and can provide you with just as good a protection as any top rate complete package can offer.

Have pm'd you.

Tam

10. Cornonthecob

So, should I get the one Cornonthecob suggested as well?? Is it automatic or do I have to remember to do a scan?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G'day Tullymoor.....AdAware will remove spyware from your computer.

The other one I mentioned will stop spyware fom getting onto your computer in the first place! And it runs in the background. try it...once you've downloaded it onto your computer install it, and after a while check AdAware to see if anything is there. :)

11. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Hey Tully,

Sounds like you have a troj virus in your system volume... Happens..

Ok what you need to do it, Buy VET, Norton or maybe TrendMicro.. While AVG is free and does work.. It isn't as good as the commercial ones..

Ok,, on the other hand.. what you will have to do is turn off your system restore, Do a scan then turn it back on.. Virus can get cached up in there.. Nasty little buggers...

Go here and do an Online Scan, (T'is Free)
    https://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't get rid of the virus,

Goto here https://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html
    and look up the virus name, and download the remove tool...

:D

12. ~Tullymoor~

hey, Baldcat, ty, I went to Trendmicro to do a free scan and the popup I was talking about popped up...I thought to copy the addy, this is it.......

https://antispyware.winantivirus.com/?ai ... &lid=&ax=2

So, is that legit? And if not, why on earth didn't adaware get rid of it/detect it?

Am still yet to get to your link Corn...will get there eventually :)

13. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

nah, I would not download that software.. Although it may legit software, they way they go about marketing it, isn't right... What it probably does is, You download it, run the scan.. It tells you that you 345 problems on your hard drive... To fix these you need to pay X amount...

adaware is good for getting these things but not perfect, try sybot as well...

You may also find you might have to reboot after one of these scans for it to take effect..
    Here is another grweat little tool, for cleaning the crap of your computer..

https://www.robertenfemke.nl/~diskclean/

It doesn't get rid off viruses and the like, more along the lines of temp files, and internet cache...