teathering goats

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by newieboy, Jun 6, 2010.

1. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

I have just got a goat and was wondering what is the best way of teathering it so it will not get tangled up.
    Cheers!!!!

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

a swivel clip and a ring on the post it is teathered to will help but goats still manage to get tangled up ! A running wire like used for a dog is another option

Really they should only be teathed when someone is arround as they can choke to death. Goats also need shelter as they hate rain

3. Don Hansford

Don Hansford Junior Member

Not actually answering the question, but a bit of reminiscing .... My best mate in high school had a goat. It used to live in a box about 2m x 1m x 1.5m high. When we made our first batch of cider (we were 12 at the time), we thought we'd better try it on the goat first, just in case it was poisonous, or something :D
    The goat drank a hubcap full of the brew, and seemed to be ok. Then he went to jump onto his box ... and missed it by about six feet! The look on his face as he hit the ground was priceless!!!! Needless to say, we drank the brew, and it had a fairly good effect on two twelve-year-olds :p

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    :rofl:Great yarn Don I am still giggling:clap::D

5. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Ohhhh, you are a naughty boys.
    Still laughing too

6. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

Cheers for the reply!
    He has been teathered for a few days now and hasnt got tangeled up yet. I dont really like the idea of teathering him but the block is not fenced so it is my only option at the moment.
    Classic story Don. Sounds like your brew packed some punch.

7. Terra

Terra Moderator

We have had lots of interesting goats over the years , havnt done much tethering only a Billy that wouldnt behave , plenty of funny goat memories like my friends goat named "Garbage" which used to escape often dragging her chain over cars which of course did significant damadge and up , up , up as only goats can onto the house roof and around cheeky as anything at strange hours of the night . Rob

8. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

i know a fella whose goat called 'rags' would happily consume anything strung out on the clothesline, he would ask people rather than donating/binning their old clothes, bring them out here and hang them on the clothes line for rags to eat as he pleased.