Taste the Immensity

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by 9anda1f, Jun 5, 2016.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Now is a great time to expand/re-visit our awareness of the universe. Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter are all in the night sky (i.e., on the same side of the sun as we are currently since their orbits are "outside" of ours). You can't miss Mars and Jupiter, two of the brightest objects in the sky, with Mars nearly due south at midnight and Jupiter in the southwestern sky. Saturn is a bit east of Mars and while fairly bright, it doesn't stand out nearly as much as the other two planets (due to its distance).
    With a strong pair of binoculars or small telescope, you will definitely be able to see Saturn's rings and Jupiter's moons (and maybe even the moons of Mars).
    While these planets arc across the low and close to the southern horizon in the northern hemisphere, they will be high and bright south of the equator! Plus, right now we are in the new moon phase and the skies are as dark as you'll see them.
    Anyhow, a bit of wonder to contemplate at this point in our annual orbit around the sun.
    Enjoy!
    https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Bryant RedHawk and Marcus Busby like this.
  2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Thank you Bill, I'll be pulling out the macroscope (telescope) for the next few night now. Much better than watching the tele.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Ah, the macroscope! Piers would be happy to know yours is being put to good use!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroscope_(novel)

I've always thought that reading immense amounts of science fiction when young has helped keep my brain from congealing into the typical dried-out American husk spouting one-liners from tv. Kimbo has it right, living on the furthest fringes of the herd is quite liberating.

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Yes indeed, I've always been considered "weird" by most folks. Now I live far enough from the herd that I can't even hear them.