Tassie - WTB-milking goat and other starting out things

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by inthemidstofchange, Feb 12, 2007.

1. inthemidstofchange

inthemidstofchange Junior Member

Hi

We are coming to Tassie and are establishing ourselves near Huonville. We are going to develop our permaculture dream from sratch and are looking for any objects that we may need. Initally we are in desperate need of a good milking goat, non GM seed, any information on permaculture (particularly in Southern Tassie at more than 300 m above sea level), garden tools, second hand fencing materials, old carpet etc. Basically all that we are starting with is a hot house frame, a chook shed and some chooks and the land. We have a couple of dams so some dam dwellers also may not go astray!

We are happy to buy, swap for labour etc.

If anyone would like help on their PC set up in exchange for teaching then also please drop us a line.

Thanks for reading this post and look forward to being able to contrinute to the discussions as we learn more :D :D

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I cant help much I am on the other side of the county but if you want to know more about goats in Tassie the julie who owns the web page below may be able to help you ( I am not sure if it says it on the web page but she does live in Tassie now )

https://www.freewebs.com/goatwhisperer/index.htm

one thing if you want to have a happy goat you need more than one as goats are herd animals and dont like to be alone ....... and unhappy goats dont give much milk :lol: :lol:

we got into goats nearly 18 months ago and they are wonderful animals :D

good luck

frosty

3. inthemidstofchange

Thanks Frosty

Thanks for letting me know. I will check her out. Sorry, should have said that we are looking for a couple of goats as I try never to have only one of each kind of animal.

It is good to hear that you have had positive experiences with goats. Did you have any trouble learning how to milk them? Is it similar to milking a cow?
    :D

4. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hi again

having never milked a cow I cant say for sure but for starters goats never poo in the bail :lol: :lol: and I havent seen one kick but even if they did it wont be like getting kicked by a cow !

hubby is the milker in our family and when we got out first doe he had never even handled a goat ! I had goats 20 years ago but didnt get round to milking them ...... now I am disabled and my hands too weak to milk

we set out to buy an expeienced milker so at least one of us knew what was going on :lol: but in the end we finished up with a first kidder ! when we picked her up the breeder gave hubby a quick lesson on one of her exerienced does ! she had also milked our doe a few times over the week

we did have a few power struggles in the first week with the doe wriggling arround a bit but on the whole if you feed a goat it forgets everything else going on arround it ! hubby took a while to get the knack but he says basically you just squease the milk down throught your fingers .........

does with bigger teats are easier to milk ....... our second doe is a second kidder with her Q so gives much more milk and much higher cream content ........ but such good quality goats are not usually for sale

ours are British alpines and they are the only breed that will consistenly "milk through" ie dont need to be kidded every year to keep milking ........ both our does kidded in 2005 and are still milking well ! so if you dont want to eat kids or have a population explosion BA are worth considering

I also reccomend you get a copy of Pat Coleby's book " natural goat care "

frosty

5. inthemidstofchange

Thanks Frosty

Thanks so much for that. It is very useful. I was wondering about the kidding each year and it is good to know that BA's are recommended as this is what we have been looking at getting!

Also good to hear that if I experioence power struggles then it is something that can be overcome with (dare I say it) food bribery.

Will let you know how I go and am on the look out for Pat Colby's book,.

Thanks again for your information and kind words.

Simone

6. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Permaculture in Southern Tasmania

Hi there,

The president of the Permaculture Association of Tasmania lives in the Huonville area and PAT is pretty active in that area as well with workshops, working bees etc. I have no doubt that they will give you not just a welcome but lots of help and advice.

Bernie

PS Welcome to Tassie

7. inthemidstofchange

Thanks

Hi Bernie

Thanks for the advice and for the warm welcome!

Look forward to chatting with you further in the future.

Simone

8. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Sweet Tassie Change!

Hi,

Not sure if this will help, but there is a goat farm just down the road from me (but about 3 1/2 hours away from Hounville!) and their website is:

https://www.mathomfarm.com.au/experience.htm

You can get goats from them (good ones!), but i'm not sure at what time of year, etc (i think it's about August???) Otherwise they may be able to help you with any questions you have regarding goats!

Anyhow, good luck with your permie plans! Anything else i can help with in the future, please drop me a line . . .

Cheers
    Lyn