Syrian mesquite

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Wael, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Wael

Wael Junior Member

I've moved into an apartment which has piece of land around it which seems to be left without use for decades.
    There are many difficult weeds like Bermuda grass , passiflora caerulea and Syrian mesquite. I found solutions like cardboard for the first tow but not for the last which has very deep roots.
    any idea how to get red of these shrubs ?

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Sounds like Syrian Mesquite is very difficult to be rid of.

https://www.feedipedia.org/node/262

Plants like that, and considering animals can control but not eradicate, removing photosynthesising material frequently would be the best option. Cut it off at ground level and then cut if off again and then cut it off again.

Does seem to have benefits too, according to the above link.

3. Wael

Wael Junior Member

I came a cross the link above during my search ..
    Actually the handling of the weed brought me to the idea to cover the soil with plastic and install stations of whicking beds above which serve as gray water filtration units as well. The site has the needed slope. The soil is too problematic.
    Do u think the Syrian mesquite would come through plastic sheet!? I saw it how it drill through asphalt

4. Wael

Wael Junior Member

The site has a slight slope .. I think to cover it with plastic and install whicking beds along which works as gray water filtration units.
    I saw this weed drill through asphalt. Do u think it will break the plastic?

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Hi Wael,

New posters have to be moderated first to prevent spam/unwanted posts (and someone like myself reads them and approves them). I deleted your post asking why they didn't appear, I hope you don't mind.

The Feedpedia link states that they can punch through the plastic, and solarising won't work as they will reshoot from root pieces.

Have you thought of forest gardening and including them into the design? Wickining beds you could trial on the small scale to see if the plant pushes through.

6. Wael

Wael Junior Member

Thank you so much. I didn't notice the forum is moderated.
    My yard is small, about 100 sqm.
    Once I covered part of it with black plastic. The crumbs grow like albinos very week and almost yellow instead of green.