Sydney-sider

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by mrsbutters, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mrsbutters

mrsbutters New Member

Hi there,

My family has just moved back from Ireland to a suburban block in Sydney which is in desperate need of planting up - lots of concrete and grass! I'm on a steep learning curve on everything permaculture starting with design (I've done an Intro course but haven't been able to do a PDC yet - although hopefully not too far away in the future) So I'm searching for tips on where to get started, hence why I landed here.

Paula

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Search out a course locally and put your name down for it. In the meantime hit the library and read everything you can. Use your pre-PDC time to really get to know your site - where the sun angles are, which direction the wind comes from, what the soil is like, when the rain falls and were does it pool and so on. And start working out where to get your supplies from - plants, manures, hay, food scraps, worms, chooks, construction materials etc.

Bung a few herbs in a pot to keep yourself happy while you start to plan.

3. deee

deee Junior Member

Hi Paula,
    which end of Sydney do you live in? Permaculture Sydney West meets every month at Toongabbie, holds monthly permablitzes and has a seed-savers meeting and seed bank. And we're all very nice! I hear Permaculture Sydney North is really good, too.
    Danielle

4. mrsbutters

mrsbutters New Member

Hi Danielle,

I'm in North Epping and I have joined Permaculture Sydney North and get lots of great info on what's going on around the local area. They're very active but unfortunately I have only been able to attend a couple of activities as I've just had another baby but am very keen to do so in the not too distant future!

Thanks - Paula

5. deee

deee Junior Member

Hi Paula,
    that's great - would be nice to get some shared activities going between the two groups.
    Danielle