Swimming Pool Fish Pond - what is the right balance of water plants?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Wichysteria, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Wichysteria

Wichysteria New Member

Redhead, Newcastle Australia.
    Stock: 25 Silver Perch fingerlings from Aquablue, 50 Glass Shrimp, 6 Fresh water mussels, 6 Yabbies and 4 goldfish.
    Started: Mid Winter
    Aim: To create a working ecosystem for 25 Silver Perch within a backyard pool.

So Far:
    -pet blackmoore, gone, presumed eaten.
    -pet snail, shell empty, presume dead.
    Theory: Too long in little tank to adapt to pool environment.

Oxygen:
    PVC pipe fitted to water jets using electrical tape, board across pool to hold out of water, water is shot out of jets when filter is turned on, shot through air and into pool making bubbles, OXYGENATION ACHIEVED! filter timed to run at early hours of morning so as not to disturb neighbourhood.

Problems:
    -ALGAE BLOOM!!!

Solutions Investigated:
    - ALGAECIDE-copper based, kills fish. Fish friendly algaecide, too expensive for pool quantity.
    -ammonia based algaecide???
    -FILTRATION-each water pond seen so far has had a filtration system run at least half the day every day.
    I cannot do this. the pool filter is not very good.
    -WATER PLANTS-native water lily, frost resistant, horizontal root systems require heavy soil- not viable
    -floating water plants - azolla pinnata, duckweed an unidentified (as yet) floating, green, spiral shaped vine with roots, all were harvested from the redhead swamp. The fish ate ALL the floating water plants. I am getting some more.

Plants of interest: Yellow Bladderwort, the unidentified floating vine, water snowflake and ludwigia peploides - https://www.australian-backyard-wildlife.com/native-water-plants.html

Fish: Winter Docile, won't eat, cannot see in algae bloom AT ALL. mussels, not moving. shrimp, found around steps of pool and in filter. Yabby found once in brick (hole) with rope attached.
    Spring, Ostara, fish begin eating daily at sundown, a teaspoon of floating pellets. after a couple of weeks are big enough to see. purpley grey darting. still about 4cm. Goldfish try to stop the perch from eating. spread out the food. The perch are too fast.

IDEA: hydroponicly growing vegetables in nets stretched across pool. any suggestions of what vegetables? any ideas on how to hold the nets taut? / keep the plants in place and not get them all eaten by the fish?...

Thankyou,
    p.s. sorry if this is a bad read. I just started this late and needed to get everything out.

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

In a super quick easy way to help you,but be explained better then i can... Google or search Backyardaquaponics .com.au The bloke Joel Malcom who runs the site and invented Aquaponics

during his time as a poster in here,hes that busy now days hes never gets time to sit on the net much lol

Aquaponics is a cross between Hydroponics and aquatics.... basicly growing veges in water using "only" fish waste as the food for the veges....

Not many are doing it out of pools yet,but dams, and water tanks exetra are invaluable to any Aquaponicist

Silver Perch are pretty valued for there survival abilities under these growing conditions,surviving good levels of water quality and heat/cold extremes..

I been slowly learning to master myself for past 4 years.. and am HOOKED

Tezza

3. derekh

derekh Junior Member

+1 for aquaponics

My system have been active for 3 years.

4. Mumchook2

Mumchook2 Junior Member

There's a highly experienced and very approachable aquaponics person nearly an hour south of you if you get stuck - Tank to Table Aquaponics (not sure if that link is working properly).

BTW, I was a new member here before the Big Glitch and couldn't sign in again... have reregistered today with a slightly different username when I saw a query I thought I could help with.

All the best!
    Ree

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Nice to have you back Ree and thanks for the link. We would love to get involved in the aquaponics thing.
    With some local expert we could get a course happening I reckon

6. Mumchook2

Mumchook2 Junior Member

Hi Mark, :hi:

The co-op did a series of talks/tour there a few weeks ago and it was an impressive system. She will running workshops on the Central Coast from November and I'm sure would be interested in a trip to Purple Pear.

Bye for now...

7. Wichysteria

Wichysteria New Member

Thanks. Went to the website, checked out the videos. some of those set ups are amazing. I can see I had the wrong idea. The vegetables are not actually grown IN the fish pond. The water is pumped into a gravel filled bucket with plants growing in it. I had no idea that fish produced ammonia! my guess is it's something to do with the slime that they cover themselves in to stop fungal growth. anyway. many thanks. I'll be testing it out maybe with sand instead of gravel and the strawberries and snowpeas from my fail of a garden.

8. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

ha ha ha.. I new youd be impressed if you managed to find it ok Whichy..

keep us informed of your progress please and pictures as well please

Tezza

9. MoD

MoD Junior Member

Might take a look at this guys setup.

https://www.gardenpool.org

I like how he's got the chooks above the pool making 'deposits' for the fish.