"Sustainable and Diversified Agriculture: Not Optional but Absolutely Necessary"

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by SueUSA, Oct 27, 2012.

1. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Thank you, I particularly enjoyed that.

Sue's description may seem a little scientific and daunting, but the article spells it all out in layman's terms (for you to research once your interest is piqued) and is very easy to read. The theoretical, or the analogy, piece of the Coffee Farmer is great and may stir something in your breast.

Recommended.

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Thanks Sue great article!

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Yes, good stuff. Thanks Sue!

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    nice one Sue - thank you for posting

6. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

I really enjoyed that one Sue and I've bookmarked it. Up here in Sweden almost everything has to be imported as far as food goes. Cold climates are incapable of producing much in the way of good crop production especially in this cold wet environment. So how can you lessen the import of food crops which come from 1000s of miles away ? Create Green Sustainable growing conditions in hot houses by replicating nature.

Here in Sweden I get CNN Europe. On one of the Fareed Sakaria's show called "The GPS Road Map for Powering America". They interviewed Amory Lovins who has his personal home at 8,000 foot elevation and has produced 28 crops of Bananas within his sustainable home/office complex. He uses no heaters and his Hot House with all the tropical plants actual power the energy system. I've written about it today. The concept is exciting and anyone with half an intuitive bone in his or her body could certainly replicate some of these ideas. I come from the warmer deserts of the USA southwest and I have to tell you it's tough living under these climate extremes of cold and wet constantly.

Alternative and Sustainable Energy Technologies and Examples That Actually Work

Here's the Economic Reality. Countries and the leaders that run them don't want to give up selling and transporting their wares all around the globe no matter how much they pay lip service to the public to build up their image as a caring celebrity. They'll be forced to if the average world citizen pushes for it by their own example and spending habits.

-