Surviving the pariah factor

Discussion in 'General chat' started by helenlee, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I believe we already have everything we need. The real trick is to work out why we need it.

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I believe we already have everything we need. The real trick is to work out why we need it
    How did you get so smart so young????? :)

I'm going to copy that out & stick it to the wall as well ...

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

a man to do a bit of man stuff should be dead easy.....
    and women have more than one use ( many men know this )...
    so can't you do the equivalent of bake a cake or do his laundry?

in return he can just be the bloke -

put an ad somewhere " stunning permaculture goddess needs man bitch for manual labour..(that'll do it)

or frumpy old hippy woman will baby sit in return for some mechanical work on car.
    or alternative lifestyler seeks friendship and share support for likeminded in the ****** area.

or rise to the occasion;
    it is not as though you are Daniel Boone's wife and there are injuns on the roof.
    but
    what a superb opportunity for personal development .....

and let us not discount the spiritual....
    One confronts one's limitations honestly and openly, without fear or favour.....

maybe this limitation thing is the 'right speed' for now?....maybe you should let yourself 'wait' for nature.
    we know that nature abhors a vacuum, and even strives to fill the smallest depressions....if there is a deep down 'vacancy',,,manifest filling it.

manifesting 'fix car' should not translate to 'drop pants'.

you 'feel' the responsibility to your place....but your relationship with your place can be a metaphor for 'other' relationships....
    maybe you do have room to give less ( pressure off? ) yet still enjoy the relationship with your land.

i only mention this because i felt pressured in such a way, directly proportional to what i wanted for my place.
    my lesson was " the place is "......
    even doing bugger all, is it not still magnificent?

and just you?.....lucky/well done/good design/sure it gets lonely sometimes but stiff shit,,,there's good and bad in everything.
    cheers
    k

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

God damn it's not the first day of spring ... it's Christmas! 2 replies in one evening & I'm smiling like an idiot :)

stunning permaculture goddess needs man bitch for manual labour..(that'll do it)
    or frumpy old hippy woman will baby sit in return for some mechanical work on car.
    or alternative lifestyler seeks friendship and share support for likeminded in the ****** area.

Honey child ... I've done it all. You know when Jerry Hall said that a women should be a whore in the bedroom, a chef in the kitchen & a maid in the lounge room? ... well I believed her.

it is not as though you are Daniel Boone's wife and there are injuns on the roof.

Oh yes I was ... I only liked the Fes Parker types (well bad versions of Fes Parker) & there were Indians on the roof - or at least cops breaking down the door or cattle stampeding through the camp or ....
    I couldn't get enough "fun".
    But now I'm retired. And I've decided to just STOP. And breath. And grow up. And when the dust settles, I'll decide what to do next.
    Sadly... I did find my perfect man. And he's married. With a kid. And cows!!!
    Bugger :)

and just you?
    I'm OK. I'm just trying to distract myself & resist the temptation to let the old boss come home. I'm still a bit fond of the silly bugger. But ... onwards & upwards ...

5. springtide

springtide Junior Member

There is always the saying...
    Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
    and remember what peace there
    may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly,
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story..............

Or, and just because i've had one of those days...
    Give a man fire and you give him warmth for a day,
    set a man on fire and you give him warmth for the rest of his life.

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

springtide ... It's been quoted so often it seems kinda corny ... but I still love the Desiderata.
    I even love Kamal singing it ... don't tell anyone - that's too tragic! :)

Take kindly the council of the years,

Gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a healthy discipline,

Be gentle with yourself.

(All together now)

You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here,

and whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

what a superb opportunity for personal development .....
    At the end of this week I will have been out here on my own for a year. Apart from a once a fortnight visit to my therapist & the shop, & the occasional jam, I've been alone. A year alone is a lot of time for personal development. I'm glad I did it. I needed it. And unlike Walden, this little humpy isn't on the edge of town, it is in the wilderness.
    (The depressing part is I reckon I need about another 6 months of it to get my head on straight ...)

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

God how I love you Kimbo. It would be so easy to dismiss you as a pot head freako from wheat land and then you come up with priceless insight like this....

9. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

ok you are a girl, i believe you now.

"pot head freako from wheat land"???.........what do you mean 'wheat land' ??

this is some of the best 'coarse grains' country you are ever likely to see my friend and don't you fkn forgt it ! wheat?/idiot/woman

[in anticipation] coarse grains are "OATS, Canola,Triticale, Barley" etc.

coarse grains like oats produce either grain or hay.
    much of the country around here grows export hay....premium varieties...twice bailed...exported to japan for the lucrative race horse industry by the container load.
    These export bales are about twice the size of an old fashioned small hay bale, but 20 times heavier.

They are baled in the field, and then re-baled with a massive 'press' into the export bale, which needs a fork lift to lift and is stacked into containers.

this huge region of south west w.a., the reason its massive hay business exists is not to produce human food.
    It is all done for the racehorses of japan who have no grass.....
    ....is a that crazy, obscene wast of human and natural resources or what!

oo roo

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I genuflect in your general direction. Face still stinging from much deserved slap on left cheek.

Still like you though...

11. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I just blissfully sail through life with the understanding that other people are not only welcome to their personal opinions of me but entitled to them.
    I realise that they are personal to them and quite often have little to do with reality.

On the other hand as a friend once used to love saying.... You can have alot of fun with narrow minded people.

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It's a year today since he left ... & tomorrow I can apply for a divorce (you have to be separated a year & a day) & I'm going to :nod:

other people are not only welcome to their personal opinions of me but entitled to them.

You know mischief, I only recently "got it" that I don't have to agree with/approve of/like everything about other people in order to be friends with them. That it's OK for them to have very different ethics/beliefs & values ... & so long as they don't try to force them on me ... it's no biggie.

I realise that they are personal to them and quite often have little to do with reality.
    I'm only just starting to get my head around this too.
    Feel free to add any more insights ... I could use them :)

13. Rob Windt

Rob Windt Junior Member

It took me several years to get the last paragraph right, you're well down that track even though it may not feel like it.

The Invitation
    by Oriah

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.
    I want to know what you ache for
    and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.
    It doesn’t interest me how old you are.
    I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
    for love, for your dream
    for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon…
    I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow
    if you have been opened by life’s betrayals
    or have become shriveled and closed
    from fear of further pain.
    I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own
    without moving to hide it, or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own
    if you can dance with wildness
    and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
    without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic
    to remember the limitations of being human.
    It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
    I want to know if you can disappoint another
    to be true to yourself.
    If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
    and not betray your own soul.
    If you can be faithless
    and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty
    even when it is not pretty every day.
    And if you can source your own life from its presence.
    I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine
    and still stand at the edge of the lake
    and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”

It doesn’t interest me
    to know where you live or how much money you have.
    I want to know if you can get up
    after the night of grief and despair
    weary and bruised to the bone
    and do what needs to be done
    to feed the children.
    It doesn’t interest me who you know
    or how you came to be here.
    I want to know if you will stand
    in the centre of the fire with me
    and not shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
    I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.
    I want to know if you can be alone with yourself
    and if you truly like the company you keep
    in the empty moments.

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It took me several years to get the last paragraph right, you're well down that track even though it may not feel like it.

Jesus Christ Rob ... I thought for several heart stopping seconds you meant you wrote it!!!!
    Thank god for google ... or I would have been on your doorstep by the morning :)

Still ... if you meant you've got all the rest of it right & it took several years to get the last bit right that's still pretty heart stopping ... just checking flights now ... I've saved up enough "enviro points" to justify it having lived like a feral most of my life :)

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Forgot my manners again ...

Thank you so much for posting that Rob. It's beautiful beyond description.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Pity it's not a full moon tonight - or I'd be out there scaring the neighbours yelling YES YES YES!!!

Thanks for sharing Rob - that's truly beautiful.

17. Rob Windt

Rob Windt Junior Member

FWIW, I'm a shed dweller who knows the pariah factor well having lived this way for several years now and being (mostly) accepted around here as an eccentric tinkerer (the poor dear wants to make engines run on wood? but petrol is so cheap and simple!) One big bonus is that it sorts out the accepting and the pretentious without saying a word or creating a scene.
    I've looked in to, studied and taught about intentional community for about 10 years now and am still ambiguous about it ('tho I'd happily live next door to one) so am settling into a small town with good soil and rainfall, with all services within walking distance.
    Joined the local TT group and figure I'll be be the towns Green Wizard when TSHTF, trying to get some allotment gardens and a CSA scheme set up at the disused rail station but negotiating the various committees is like herding cats - I'm waffling now but somewhere in there is a point about putting into the community before expecting much back (and expecting is probably the wrong word...waffle waffle) Accepting our self as we are seems to be the key as is the condensed Buddist - "wherever you go, there you are"
    Shorter Rob :(:
    Love and honour yourself, you are worth it - everything else follows

PS Bugger the airplane, I'll take you carbon neutral cruising when I sort this out https://nakedmechanic.blogspot.com/search/label/woodgas%20ute

PPS It's a new moon tonight, howling is encouraged
    cheers

18. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

It's a pleasure to have you grace us with your presence here, Rob. Maybe one day all of us PRI Forum nutters (yes, you know who you are) will meet up and build the ultimate IC? Maybe not. It does not matter. However, if I were to die tonight, I would do so knowing that I have had the fortune of learning a great deal from you all. Thank you all, goodnight/day, Markos.

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

or I'd be out there scaring the neighbours yelling YES YES YES!!!

Just do it eco ... just DO it :)

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

am settling into a small town with good soil and rainfall, with all services within walking distance.
    Joined the local TT group and figure I'll be be the towns Green Wizard when TSHTF, trying to get some allotment gardens and a CSA scheme set up at the disused rail station

Sounds like you've got it all happening there.

Accepting our self as we are seems to be the key as is the condensed Buddist - "wherever you go, there you are"
    Shorter Rob
    Love and honour yourself, you are worth it - everything else follows

Man this is sssoooo where I'm at right now. I didn't listen when life whispered it to me, I put my fingers in my ears when she yelled, so now she's flogging me with a cat o' nine tails to get me to shut up & listen ...
    that I'm OK just as I am ...
    even better ...
    I AM.

Maybe one day all of us PRI Forum nutters (yes, you know who you are) will meet up and build the ultimate IC?
    Yeah Mark, I'll have a go. You only live once & time's a tickin. I'm not living down in that freezer called Victoria though ... you'll both have to come up here :)

PS Bugger the airplane, I'll take you carbon neutral cruising when I sort this out https://nakedmechanic.blogspot.com/se.../woodgas ute
    Yeah ... I've been following your blog for a couple of years. I even wrote to you & told you how inspired I was by something or another, can't remember what. I've been checking the photos of the latest project ... looks fantastic.