Surveying equipment - dumpy, laser, etc

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by dyllos, Sep 8, 2014.

1. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Hi all

Please can experienced pc people out there recommend what exactly to buy for surveying before earthworks (swales, drains, small to medium dams). Laser level, dumpy level, or one that is a combo of both? Am looking to buy second hand (or is new advisable) on gumtree or ebay, but there is just so much variety and a large difference in prices. Am after specific brands to go for (or ones to avoid). Don't mind spending money if it is worth it. Do want something reliable.

Thanks for any info :)

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

I have a Pentax AP 241 not all that fancy but a tool I wouldn't be without , I had a similar older model and it gave me great results , I loaned it to a close friend (don't go there ) it came back off the focus track it had been over wound on the focus knob . I rang the place I bought it from and learned a lot in that phone call . Yes it could be repaired but it would need re calibration and in the end cost more than a new one (of course) also he said don't post it as the calibration can be knocked around in transit , we picked up from the shop they were real helpful and im glad I went that way .

So going with that I would say NEW only and PICK up yourself .

Make sure you have the warranty sorted .

Really watch it on windy days spread the tripod REAL wide , don't want it blowing over.

Carry it yourself or disassemble to move to the next area don't leave it on the tripod in the back of the vehicle under any circumstances .

When you first use it set it up and swing it around on the level and mark some predetermined points say 200m away so you can check the calibration from time to time and you will know if its shifted the further away these points are the more accurate your test will be .

If you have a helper its easy good fun.

Select a staff that is not too complicated , I made my first one out of white timber with 100mm increments used that for years .

If you have no helper then the laser option would be better

Its amazing how often I will use it , great help building anything knowing where level is and measuring up or down to get things straight and square .

I find with drains a good tip is if you have a sharp change of direction increase the fall through this section , water will slow down on these bends and drop silt and can go over the bank and make a mess by speeding up the water through the corner it keeps scouring the bend clean .

Have Fun Rob .

3. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Thanks for your quick and informative reply!! Nice tips too.

Interesting that you recommend against freighting them despite Get Tools Direct selling them online... Not a bad price at $339 +$15 freight - got a second hand tripod already so got to check if it will fit..

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  5. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Yes, that explained laser things nicely.

Does anyone know if there is a combo machine, i.e. a dumpy level and a laser level in one machine?

6. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Very good tips Terra, I agree with the laser thoughts, I have both a transit and a laser level, they are must have tools to me since I live on a ridge and the land falls away both South and North. The transit also has been handy for surveying our property lines and the neighbors, who once they found out I had the equipment and knew how to use it, asked me to survey their properties. One of these instances prevented a squabble (over where the property line was) from escalating. I am always happy to help out my few neighbors ( the closest one is about 1/4 mile from us) and thankfully they are happy to help too.

I have two staffs, one has inch measurements on one side and mm/cm on the opposite side (white background with black for inch and red for metric), the other has mirror mylar attached and black inch marks to the left and red cm marks to the right. I made both of them. I also welded a stand so I could use the instruments solo, it is 1 sq. ft. of 1/4" thick aluminum and has holes at the corners for spikes to keep it upright, I also made some legs that can be slipped into place and clamped for when the winds come up.

Dylos, you are referring to a total station, these are all in one units and are usually in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range. They are a transit, a laser level and GPS in one unit https://www.engineersupply.com/total-stations.aspx is one place to check out for all your needs, they sell the David White line, which is what I use.

7. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Thanks for the post Bryant. Are you really happy with the David White equipment? wow, the total stations are the real deal!

8. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Yes, Love my DW gear. I've used it for a few years now and not had any problems with calibration staying in and my Transit has been whacked while in the case (not just bumped but dropped) a couple of times. It is rather pricey but it is like most stuff, you do get what you pay for.

9. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Alrighty, thanks Bryant.

I had some other advice today from an experienced Permaculturalist - if the terrain is rocky, with trees, several corners to go around, then a dumpy level would be better as moving the laser tripod is more time consuming. Will be a 2 person job though. Also, for short distances and less frequent use, then a cheaper device would be fine.

10. Bryant RedHawk

Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I always recommend people go and try out different equipment since this stuff is not a one size fits all. I know surveyors that hate the stuff I use, and tell me how it is not what they would use. It works for me, but I can also use their gear and it works for me too. This is definitely a different strokes for different folks skill set. Find what will do what you need it to do, at the best price possible and you will have equipment that will last you many years and you will be happy with it. I started out with a 190 dollar transit, used from a pawn shop, I still have that gear, it has always served me well for what it does and now it is a great backup unit. If I had not gotten an unbelievable deal on the DW units, I would not have them. It's been my experience that I have not found any company with a good reputation to make unacceptable equipment in the surveyor's world.