Suitable oil for compost bay timbers?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by GWilliams, Aug 4, 2010.

1. GWilliams

GWilliams New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be building some composting bays from some locally milled green hardwood in the coming months and was wondering if anyone could recomend a suitable oil or other kind of finish for the timber?

Obviously it has to be free of any harmfull chemicals as the compost is going to be used in vegetable growing.

Cheers
    Gordon.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Why put a finish on it at all?

3. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

Grapeseed or Linseed.
    Happy turning.

4. GWilliams

GWilliams New Member

The finish is to extend the life of the material as it will be in continual contact with the composting material.

Thanks fernando.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter?

5. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

I don't think there's much in the way of safe things that will stop continually damp wood rotting apart from using certain hardwooods, which are really expensive.
    I fiddled around building a flash system which won't last; when it falls apart I'll wire a few pallets together and call it good!

6. floot

floot Junior Member

Why not try Lanolin. They even use it on boats now. Organic, cheap, readily available and water proof..

Ever seen a shearing shed floor??

Oh btw, I saw Lanolin for sale at my local hardware just this morning. It was in a little plastic squirty bottle but couldnt read much more than the LANOLIN 'cos I had forgotten my glasses... 00 ...:)

cheers,

cheers,

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I'd check the organic bit. Lanolin use to be sold as nipple cream for breast feeding mothers ... until someone worked out it's not good to have babies sucking on all the chemicals that had been used topically on the sheep & were now in the oil in the lanolin.

8. floot

floot Junior Member

Helen,

Good point, I need to change the word from 'ORGANIC' to 'NATURAL'.

I do remember that breastfeeding thing, seems like after that petroleum jelly was recommended.

cheers,

9. pierre

pierre Junior Member

Gordon,

There are two oils a friend of mine uses for the dressed timber work.

Eco Wood Oil (natural) -- it used to be called Organ Oil -- is tung nut oil mixed with gum turpentine, pine oils and beeswax. If you google the name and enter your post code they tell you where the nearest retailer is to you, it is however rather expensive and not that easy to get anymore.

Lately he's started to use a product called Easy Deck this is a linseed based product, Bunnings Wh*rehouse sells it and it is a bit cheaper.
    For timber in contact with soil (including being buried into the ground) use Diggers Timber Protecta -- this is a certified organic product that prevents rot in timber.

Cheers,
    Pierre