Sugarcane Mulch rolls in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cosmic, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I would like to know how I can get the huge sugarcane mulch rolls delivered in Brisbane? Capalaba produce sell them but I have no way of transporting it. I would like to get two rolls.
    Any suggestions or suppliers?
    My garden is a total weedhole at the moment and it's because I have no mulch. The bales I used to buy went up to over $8!!! I don't want to pull out the weeds to leave bare earth.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: Sugarcane Mulch rolls in Brisbane?

talk to your neighbours and see if there's anyone else close by to make hiring a truck worth while

flat beds are about $100 a day

3. derekh

derekh Junior Member

A lot of landscape yards sell the rolls and can arrange delivery.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day cosmic,

2 rols is a lot of mulch to use.

but if your vehicle is a large say 6 cylinder type you could hire a larger car type trailer and use that you will get at least 2 rolls on maybe even 3?

if you hire a truck (might have to be larger than 1 tonne?? dunno?) then as you have it for the day and ther is only the milage cahrge do 2 trips.

maybe capalaba produce will deliver?

len

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

If anyone knows of a landscape yard on the southside selling the rolls please let me know the company name. Also, I can't afford to hire a truck on top of the cost of the rolls.

6. gardenlen

g'day cosmic,

did you do a google or check the phone book?

and another thought ring the sugar cane farmers down on the lower logan river ie.,. rocky point, woongoolba, they bring their cane mulch to the agencies for delivery they may take a short detour and do an add hok delivery? how much would a general carrier charge for pick up and delivery?

ther are produce agencies out on the warrego highway, give them a ring they may have some idea the thinking they need to come into town at times?

len

7. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I think last time I hired a trailer it was $30 for a couple of hours, for one of those large dual axle car-trailers.
    I'd go halves with you, but I'm on the north side, not the south.

8. gardenlen

g'day ppp,

have you sourced any rolls up this a way as yet?

if so how much are they?

if the budget can stand it i may be tempted to go 1/2's with you? towards the end of june may be better for me?? dunno? anyhow let us know.

if you find any you need to ask how big the rolls are there are a couple of sizes i have seen one is about eq.,. of 30 bales giver or take the other only about 15 or so bales. i think the big roles are about 6 foot across?

len

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I just rang a few lanscaping supplies but most didn't have the rolls. One said they did, I put the order in gave my credit card details then he walked out to check then said didn't have any but would send the bales instead. He said about 9 bales is equal to the roll. What a load of pigs dung. I said no thankyou and felt weird about my details having been handed over. Hope it's alright.
    One would deliver for $80.
    So that's where I am at.
    My partners, Brothers, brother in law LOL sells them as a business but that's in Grafton. Going to try and see how much they would deliver them for.

10. gardenlen

yeh cosmic,

yah gotta watch what they call a roll hey, lots get caught.

len

11. ppp

ppp Junior Member

gardenlen

No, I haven't got any round bales as yet, I've been just getting the small square ones.
    I did notice someone with a large square bale (bigger than the round ones- hangs over the sides of a standard ute) out at Samford.
    I'm out of town for a week, so if I get around to it, I will hunt around.

PPP

12. gardenlen

g'day ppp,

yes they have a pallet sized bale it is on a wodden pallet about 4'x4' and about 4' high, at least with that you can wrk out that you are getting value for money or at least not paying more for less.

len

13. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I would hire a trailer if I could find the rolls. The last one I saw at capalaba produce looked half composted so I will see if they can get me some fresh one. It will mean two trips and the place isn't close to me. I don't like over using a big car.

14. gardenlen

g'day cosmic,

did you price the pallet sized bale?

yes rolls might start to decompose when in storage awaiting sale, and not many around the 'burb's would even consider using s/c mulch let alone buy a roll of it.

next time i get to the agency i'll ask them and work out app' eq' to bales.

len

15. gardenlen

again cosmic,

just checked down at our agency, the huge bails are $82.50 they are equivalent to 12 bails of normal s/c mulch, but they say it is better value probably because it is packed tighter? dunno?

len

16. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

$82.50 seems like a lot. I went to Capalaba produce today and their big round bale is $52.50. I ended up buying two bales @$6.50. 12 bales @ $6.50 is $78.

17. gardenlen

you must be closer to the cane farms maybe? our bales are $7.50 up this way.

len

18. Marty Gardner

Marty Gardner New Member

Hi All,

I used to buy the big rectangle bales for around $60- they said it was equiv to approx 15 small bales (which were $6 ea). I never did the calculations to see if it was equiv to 15 bales but did find it a conveneint way to purchase/handle things. Having a one ton ute was sufficient for pick up, delivery was an extra $25.00
    A mate and I are looking at setting this up as a part time venture and are initially looking at what demand is out there- we can possibly access the large round bales- I am meeting the farmer in the next week or so and will calculate how many small bales are equiv and let you know the details,prices etc if anyone is interested. I live on the north side of Brissy out near Dayboro but would look at delivering if the price was suitable for all parties concerned.
    Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers and happy gardening.

19. gardenlen

g'day marty,

in working class suburbs where gardeners are likley to use real mulches you may ahve a go, in the yuppy ville's no hope they only use pretty muches easy on the eye stuff.

anyhow you may get a lot of different opinions on how many bales a roll is eq' to, the large roll and you need to be sure they are talking about the large roll we where told is eq' to app' 15 bales, and that big bale on the pellet is eq' to app' 12 bales. but as we have found depending on how much s/g there is for baling a bale can be tight packed or loose packed for me maybe up to 20% difference in volume of mulch contained within.

anyhow currently here just north of brissy way we can't get any rough sugar cane mulch in any shape or form, and our nearest agency ahs no idea when it may be available. but mey guess is greed will mean the retail price when it does come will be more.

len

20. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I scored a couple of lucerne round bales for $55 landed which was a real good deal, I'm using one to do a permablitz on a friends property in the next few weeks.

Marty let use know how you go as we are always on the look out for clean mulch.

With all this rain I will be harvesting the fire break again soon :D