sugar cane mulch - rant

Discussion in 'General chat' started by gardenlen, Oct 2, 2007.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day friends,

not only are the bales this season (that is rough bales) up from $6.50 to 7.00 but they are packed looser and have less buiscuits in them 7 this year (never counted last year but would have been at least 2 more), plus they are thicker and looser.

reckon it's about time we had some sort of standard by weight might be too restrictive, but lenght and tightness of bail things that are controlled at time of baling. this season 1 bale covers 3 meters long and app' 500mm wide for weed barrier pathways last season would have been around 4 meters long (that's the 2 biscuit difference), shaken out as mulch on the garden maybe not so noticable.

hopefully as the season progresses and more mulch becomes available for baling they will get tighter and more biscuits, time will tell. but this is a bit like the butcher putting his finger on scales isn't it, and consumers are the worse off for it.

len

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

lucky you can get them len - we live closer to the cane country than you, but we can't get them because every ounce of sugar cane is grown for the cow candy being sold out of nambour.... I used to love the big round bales -- excellent stuff, but no longer available (or not advertised in the paper any more)

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

Re: sugar cane mulch - rant

Yes, I agree. The bailes have gone up double in price and they are lose. I never used to be able to pull the strings off with my hands. It HAD to be cut but now the strings come off as we are driving it home! As soon as something becomes popular the quality deteriorates.

4. gardenlen

our local bales ahve gotten better of late, i think the cane farmer was strestching the stuff early on?

our local agancy has had spoilt lucern hay of late heaps better stuff more biscuits and much tighter, and about the same as s/c a bale at around $7.70 per bale so no increase since the last one around here.

len

5. Yuralani

Yuralani Junior Member

Up here in paradise we are still getting bales for $4.50 for tightly packed cane mulch. The guy delivers them for free and puts them around the garden in strategic places for you.

Didnt get that type of service when I lived in Brisbane though.

Maybe it all depends on the local market. Most people up here mulch with roundup. AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh.

:rolleyes:

6. Susan

Susan Junior Member

I don't even consider sugar cane mulch here in the Blue Mountains. It's obviously not the same as yours because it is not strictly in biscuits, but rather chopped and compressed into bales covered in plastic. I love it but it's $14 at the moment. And as far as I'm concerned the bales of straw I have been getting are much looser too.
    Obviously a small part of the growing food shortage crisis that we are only now beginning to hear about...
    Food security is going to become a bigger deal I suspect; especially since we are the ones already growing food most people have no idea.
    s

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

If you pick it up on a regular basis; there is plenty of free organic matter available from Shopping Malls

Gloria Jean made a big publicity thing of them giving grounds to organic farmers.

Woolworth's locally have their organic waste tied up better than Fort Knox; but your local little veggie dealer might keep waste for you if you were reliable and consistent about picking it up. (Tell him you don't want too much citrus).

Has anyone tried shredded cardboard or paper as mulch?

I think it is immoral to be using hay and straw at the moment in Australia when farmers are struggling to pay high prices for feed to keep stock alive. Can stock eat sugar cane mulch?

Sugar cane mulch i found did not last longer than 6 months in my garden.
    Perhaps that is a good thing because the soil "wee beasties" ate it but perhaps not too.

8. gardenlen

i agree on the straw factor as that p[roduct comes from broadacre farms that have decimated habitat in marginal areas, the reason for lots of dust in our cities (melbourne gets dust storms regular brissie just had a couple days of lots of dust blown in).

the hay is spoilt hay and if it didn't get used by gardeners it would be wasted as there is no other use for it, spoiling occurs when a product used for fodder hay is cut and baled and then before it can be removed from the paddock it gets rained on this causes the hay to go mouldy inside which is toxic to animals. the luceren hay i currently get is all full of mould.

sugar cane mulch is full of chemical residues for growing the cane, and there is little nutrient in it for cattle feed all it does is keeps them alive at best, and there again if gardeners didn't use it it would be ploughed back into the ground (probably the best outcome same with straw).

so argueably cane and grain farmers are probably making a tidy little possibly tax free profit from bi-product, fodder farmers most likley suffer a drop in proft as mulch hay sells for around $7 a bale here and fodder hay up around $18+.

len