Strawberry tree

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Mont, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Mont

Mont Junior Member

A very specific question. I've bought an Irish strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo), about a metre high, some berries already on it, which I've got in a large pot. I want to put it against the front of our (northeast facing) house where it will get direct sun until about noon and reflected heat from the cream coloured rendered house wall. As the plant originates from Killarney with its regular soothing rains, I'm just wondering if it will cope with the heat or whether it needs more shade. Can anyone who's grown it advise me?

T'anks a mil.

Mont
    Sydney
    Warm temperate climate

2. Guest

:) Hi Mont
    Geoff coming into to try and help you with your question from Jordan in the Middle East.
    I have seen quite large straw berry trees growing in southern England 15m. high, in a climate that has cool winters warm summers but regular rain. So I think the Sydney summer temperatures may stress your tree, but I maybe proved wrong.
    Cheers Geoff

3. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    Hi Guys,

Good to hear from Geoff - our best wishes to you over there toiling away - we hope its all going well.

There are heaps of strawberry trees all over Victoria - plenty here in Bendigo - which gets about 5-10 40 degree days a year, 500mm rainfall and desicatting hot northerly winds. When we were kids we used to eat the rather insipid, yet attractive (and abundant) berries - but more often we would throw them at each other as they are really soft and made a for lots of fun. The tree heights that Geoff mentioned I haven't witnessed over here - however there a quite a few 5-10 metre examples that are really quite beautiful. The flowers are pretty too - little white bells like blueberry flowers.

Looking in my "Trees and Shrubs of Greece" it suggest that Artubus unedo and A. andrachne are both indigenous "throughout Greece in low-altitude scrubland". As far as I knew the species was taken from the meditteranean region and planted in southern Ireland hence its common name.

In many of the Fire Planting guidelines in Victoria the species is recommended as suitable to be planted in fire sectors and are safe as a planting under powerlines.

Hope this helps,

Yours and Growing,

Darren Doherty

4. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Thanks fellas. Good luck in the dry country Geoff! Must be good to see the progress since last time you were there.
    From what you both say I think I'll leave it where it is and just keep an eye on it for stress.
    I've heard contradictory things about where it originated from Darren. It's at least naturalised in Spain as well.

Mont