Sticky needed!!!! new members

Discussion in 'General chat' started by ho-hum, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Time we moved on to a point whereby anyone with permie questions can at least suggest a climate zone, aspect, city, town or even postcode/zipcode.

It is not like this forum is alive with trolls but if some of us spend time addressing the needs of others to help them grow we are oft let down by finding the mango grower lives in London, or the supposed 'parsnip grower' has been in Kuala Lumpur for 3 weeks etc etc etc..

Can we not mandate that any new person articulate a zone, district, postcode or even country.

Too many times genuine folk have offered genuine answers only to find that someone wonders why their herbs die and they live in a top floor flat in Invercargill and 'wonder' why their basil fails every time it gets cold, which is a lot of the year...

cheers,

ho-hum

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Sticky needed!!!! new members

Perhaps referring to the climate rather than the country might be a good option. Some areas do of course have colder or hotter seasons than others, however with the exception of Tropcal areas, its pretty much 4 seasonal variations (not including the extremes - desert/ice).

I like your idea though, perhaps it should be a requirement members list at least their country in the area provided in their profiles.

3. forest dweller

forest dweller Junior Member

I'm only new here (but a forum veteran) and would think that if the poster doesn't mention where they live it should be one of the first questions that people ask.

If they aren't forthcoming with all the info they aren't that keen for an answer (IMHO).

just my 2c.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

The problem with asking is that it takes longer for threads to get going, and sometimes other people just come along and answer anyway. Plus it's more work for people here and sometimes that gets annoying. I'm always surprised when people post here asking things (eg where can I get x?) and they don't even say what country they're in, let alone area.

I like the idea of something that asks newbies to (a) state roughly where they live (country AND district) and (b) describe certain basics when they start threads or ask for help (eg climate, rainfall, soil type, vegetation). Maybe there could be a statement in the registration process, and then a sticky titled something like Newbies Read This First!

I wouldn't want to use postcodes or even zones. Postcodes many of us would have to look up each time (given it's an international forum), and I don't use the zone system so I would have to learn that and I'm not sure how useful it is in a permie conversation.

I'm wondering how many people know where Invercargill is, LOL (there's some good permies down there btw).

5. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  6. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    just realised that I have no 'location', which I'd like to rectify, but have mentioned in another post I cannot log out, similarly cannot find where to edit my profile, can anyone help?
    The only menu option I have is 'board index' what do I do?
    cheers

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You might need to try another browser like Firefox. I can see the User Control Panel right under Board Index. And it's on the same line as Log out.

I use Safari and bits of the page are missing with it, but someone else posted a while back that it was OK with Firefox. (It's a free download)

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

You could delete your cookies to log out... doesn't fix the overall header problem though.