starting vegie garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by toasted melon, Sep 5, 2003.

1. on another issue, does anyone know where I can find info on starting my own vegie garden proper. I have a very sandy, clay soil. can I get it tested to see if things will grow etc. is their a site that I can log onto to start me off? cheers for any help.

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

One of the benefits of Permaculture gardening is overcoming the problems.... you will find lots of information by doing searches on 'no dig gardening' .... great if you have hard compacted soils, although there are longer methods you could apply to break up the clay.... but this is the quickest and easiest method.

Also, do a search for rotational vegie planting to get right plantings if you are starting out.... better still, there are plenty of great books and videos around that cover for planting vegies in the right order for all year round vegie production.

Just a couple of hints for you....not complete by any means, be prepared to do the right amount of searching to get best results.

Good luck

Dave

3. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

i'd mark out the area you want to garden - throw down a stack of buckwheat - let it grow but before it goes to seed - dig it back in - dump a layer of composted cow poo and some mushroom compost and plant away.

just keep adding organic matter to the soil - and mulch and every winter plant a a good green manure and you'll get beautiful soil in a very short space of time.

cheers (and do what dave said) there is stacks of good stuff out there...

4. Thanks guys, for pointing me in the right direction. Its been a while since I've had to learn anything and with gardening, I'm starting from scratch. It's exciting and frustrating all at the same time. Again many thanks.

5. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

no probs toasted melon. best thing to do is keep asking questions...
    like do you need to know what green manure is?
    after any good book recommendations?
    this place is an excellent spot to get some expert advice...
    best of luck with it! and with the garden keep persisting - it is an addictive past-time and the most rewarding of activities