Starting permaculture farm in southeastern USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by PermaChelsea, Jun 11, 2015.

1. PermaChelsea

PermaChelsea New Member

Greetings! Very glad I found this forum.

We purchased 16 acres that we have started a farm with. So far we have a small herd of Hogs, chickens, sheep and alpacas, and we have just started raising ducklings in our brooder. We also have two Great Pyranese dogs. In the future, we hope to also add A2/A2 cattle (dairy as well as beef), guineas, and goats. We also hope to expand our current herds/flocks with diverse species. We are a big fan of heritage breed livestock.

In addition, we are fencing our yard to turn it into a garden/Playscape paradise, and have been doing a lot of research (and labor!) trying to establish our annual and perennial gardens, as well as our orchard. We will not be using chemicals to do any of this of course.

We also homeschool our children not only to keep closer track of their academic progress, but also to surround them in a skill-building environment.

My husband is a novice carpenter and farmer, and I am a novice gardener and studying naturopath. We both enjoy culinary endeavors and are obsessed with both macro and micro ecosystems. We are enthusiasts of quality, frugality, and the DIY lifestyle in general.

I apologize for the long introduction; I have a lot to say and even more to learn! In fact the more i learn, the more I realize i need to learn! Can't wait to absorb knowledge and advice from those more experienced than we are.

in short, glad to be here!
    Chelsea

2. Rodney7777

Rodney7777 Junior Member

Hello
    I am a recent grad from Geoff Lawton's PC design course.

16 acres? What a great size! I want to alert you to this machine, a BCS walk behind tractor with a rotary plow. ( tractor will also run a tiller, other attachments including a hay baler) -----------------------> https://youtu.be/vhfjUSusROc

As for PC practices, I highly recommend www.singfrogsfarm.com There you will find out how they no-till. use no fertilizer, or herbicides or insecticides while producing much garden produce and building soil at the same time. They taught me that soil that is exposed to the sun produces 17% of the co2 content of our air. That site is packed with knowledge, ideas and some great links.

Good luck at your 16 acres. Regards Rodney7777