Starting out iin permaculture.

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by newieboy, Mar 28, 2010.

1. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

I am in the process of desiging and building a house, and would like to design my garden using permaculture principles. Does anybody know of where I can do my PDC in the or close to Newcastle nsw. I would also like to take a look at some gardens does anybody know of any permaculture gardens that are open to the public I the same area.
    Thanks!!!!

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    There are several options newieboy but none as "made for you " as Purple Pear at Anambah just outside Maitland with a choice of three different options this year in format. The link at the bottom will take you to the website

3. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

I don't know your area and can't help on finding a PDC but I can say that you have a wonderful opportunity to start a whole project using permaculture principles - not just the garden.

Before you finalise the design of your new home do a site plan noting where the wind comes from, where the sun comes up etc and a zoning plan too. (If you've done this already I'm sorry to try to teach you to suck eggs.) That way you can incorporate the essential elements of water harvesting, energy needs, multiple functions etc.

You can find everything you need to know in the forum here but doing the Design course will help you to focus your ideas.

I hope you find a course soon. :)

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day newieboy, welcome to the PRI Forum.

I can only concur with the advice that has previously been given: Plan for and design for the whole, rather than just a part. The design of your dwelling should form an integral part of the overall design of your site.

Check out Holmgren's (co-founder of the permaculture concept) setup:

Melliodora

Cheerio, Markus.

5. newieboy

newieboy Junior Member

Hey cheers for the replys. I am very excited about getting to design a house and garden as a whole to suit my needs. As I havent done a PCD I have only been able to try and design the house with what I have learnt off the internet and books. I have positioned the house where it will get the best solar access and have left the majority of the land facing north so it should get sunlight for most of the day. I am pretty sure I have got the house designed so it will be fairly energy efficent, it is just intergrating the house with the yard that I am struggling with at the moment.For example zoning and I am sure there is a hell of a lot more to learn as well. So if anyone has any helpful tip please pass them on I would hate to get the house built and than go I should have done this or that.
    Thank all!!!!!

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day again, newieboy

Reads like you are off to a good start.

Permaculture Two (Mollison, 1979) is available at your local library. This is a brilliant introduction to the design aspects of any permaculture project - particularly useful for helping with zone layout and infrastructure siting.

Oh, and I really can't stress enough how important it is to complete a PDC. The people that you will meet, and the new areas of your mind that you will explore, will set you up for a life of real 'alternative' learning.

Happy travels, Markus.