Starting Aquaponics here...Need Solutions.

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Pakanohida, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

...I understand it, I can build it, etc, but my my my am I frustrated with the initial expenses for set up!!

Let me explain, I am trying to create:

1 - fish / sump pond with dimensions of 2m x 1m x 1m

3 plant beds - 2m long x 1m wide x 1/3m high

However, trying to price and find commercial beds, insanely out of the question. IMO, that's the limiting factor there.

DIY - EPMD liner is insanely expensive. The first bed alone for the fish will cost over $350US, and as much again for the plant beds. Then a person needs to add in the plumbing, cost of a pump (relatively inexpensive compared to the liner), backup pump, air pump, air tubing, I am looking at an easy $1000 that this 24/7 Caretaker can't come up with by any freaking means what so ever.

Any ideas to bring the prices down besides do as usual and scrounge scrounge scrounge?

The greenhouse or what ever cover is being made with round wood, cob and whatever else I can find / afford.

So please, any ideas, chime in.

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

That size is concrete? You aren't going to consider the IBC-style of Aquaponics?

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

IBC tanks are too expensive for me. They start at around $250US, usually higher. Water Barrels, generally over $70US each.

I am at least 3 hours from any major city in the US, and 1 hour to any city. With my truck, that 1 hour trip, one way, costs $80US in fuel. Not exactly helpful to my situation at the moment.

If I can find them great... but atm I can't. Last night I was even looking into food grade epoxies.

4. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I ended up spending a stupid amount of $ on my aquaponics setup, for tanks and plumbing. The fish are the cheapest part. I think I've spent over $600 by now, which is way out of any budget I should have had. Kind of embarrassed about it, actually. What was I thinking? I may end up selling the system if I'm not able to be really successful at producing food from it. $600 is a lot of food.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Before ditching your system which I am already envious of, get a hold of Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together [Book] by Sylvia Bernstein in Books or get Murray Hallam's Aquaponicss Made Easy ( or his Aquaponics secrets) DVDs. It would go a long long way to making everything more successful.

Might be able to get the book from your local library, I did. :)

6. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I wish I could ship it all to you, if it doesn't work out for me, but that's more $! :p

7. Terra

Terra Moderator

Pak
    Have a look at building growbeds / fish tanks from brick / concrete , problem with this though is it sends the ph wildly alkaline ive followed threads in poor countries where they have had to build big systems with no money they do this and they get around the ph problem with bathroom tiles . I believe they seal between with a aquarium safe silicone product .
    You can scrounge tiles from garage sales , shop closures bricks ect . if you set it up right and you want to stop AP you can still use them as wicking beds so they wouldnt be a waste , i was lucky enough to get free IBCs that had local fish waste processed into organic fertilizer in them , you and ludi are right though you can run away with money on these systems . Start scrounging gravel you will need heaps (Ph neutral) the best option $$$ commercial growbeds ive seen are half round 500L cattle troughs made from poly , with these i could get 3 (1500L) on my tank stand the Ap commercial growbeds i could just squeeze 2 (900 -- 1100L) where i am freight costs more that the product drives me nuts so dont just think AP products . I have a 22000L concrete tank that i might cut off (top damadged) and do something with if i can get it to a suitable position .

Another cheap $$ recycle option is a tank made from a huge tractor / harvester tyre (Free), cut the sides out and line it with (Grain bag) these bags are one use on farm grain storage for farmers you will see them in paddocks they look like enormous white sausages , so do you know any farmers ??? i could post you one but im halfway round the world . more info at Tasses thread https://www.backyardaquaponics.com/...=18&t=11528&p=310377&hilit=shadehouse#p310377

My system so far , must take some more pics plants are lots bigger now picking a few Toms , celery , chives, sping onions , first cabbage is hearting .
    https://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12070

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

What about learning how to fibreglass?

9. Terra

Terra Moderator

Couple more thoughts , secondhand fibreglass bathtubs are popular from demolition sites ect , also blue poly 200L barrels cut in half , best place around here to get them is a place where they make baby food and packaged gravy . Cut out the huge mark up at recycle places get them from the sauce (pardon the pun). With these multiple small beds plumb them all together and have ONE auto siphon set up in a seperate barrel at the end , another option to save on expensive fittings is drill a small hole in the poly barrels use a heat gun until soft and shove a pipe through they seal well . Lots of ideas on the BYAP forum also Murray Hallams forum .
    Rob

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Impressive system and photos Terra, certainly gave me food for thought! (Please pardon that pun)

S.O.P. - I have been thinking that route since I surf. My wife hates the idea though because of the dangers to health & waste materials from the process.

Ludi - Careful, I might just take you up on that idea since I know someone moving from TX to OR in a few years. ;)