Starting a pond adventure

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Zed McJack, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Zed McJack

Zed McJack Junior Member

Hi,

I have a 1HA property in Northern Serbia that is rather flat.
    Half of it is an orchard and the second half was cultivated soil which I am currently converting to mixed woodland, orchard and garden.

On the southern part of property there is depression 15-20m wide and about 1,8-2m deep stretching across several neighboring properties including mine, maybe 500m long.
    The one half of orchard's part was completely owergrown in reeds and the other half has a couple of fruit trees in poor condition.

Very often in neighboring plots the water can be seen standing in the fields.
    Thinking about water level and having cleared the reeds this winter I tried digging and found water 20cm below surface.
    Now I am thinking about having a pond here which would conviniently replace unuseble land and convert it to something very interesting.

Right now I am reading about ponds but I would like to hear your ideas, suggestions and warnings about building and having a pond.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Its lovely having a pond though i don't suppose water lillies would grow in yours.

Do you think it could attract wild ducks and geese? I'd set it up to do that if possible. I adore my ducks but so far they are not permitted in the pond. Theirs is a wheelbarrow only.

My pond is quite small.

I won't try to give you any practical advice since MA has given you lots of links and anyway my situation is too different from yours i think to be useful.

4. Zed McJack

Zed McJack Junior Member

Thanks Michaelangelica and sun burn for your replays.

Ive read those links MA posted although most are about aquaponics not ponds, but I found a couple of interesting post here and there.

So far the pond is shellow 20cm by 1,5x1,5 pit with some water.
    Paying for excavation is not an option so the pond will be excavated by myself. And here we are with one of the problem I encountered. Widening pond goes ok, but I have problem with geting depth as soil goes to mud and mud is hard to get out of water.
    I nevere did that before but I recall I should use bucket or something similar to enhance digging. Any other ideas?

I was thinking about having occasional fish from that pond but it seems that balancing fish populations is moving target. (And I need 2m depth)
    If I decide to have some fish Ill try carp most probabaly so if anyone have some experience with carp Id like to hear that.
    What about plants do I have to bring them as well or they would find its way in by themself?