spider mites! - controlling pests

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by toasted melon, Sep 4, 2003.

1. I need help!! I am from office city gone to rural starting all over again. I am told I have spider mites that are destroying my tomatoes. They create yellow spots on the leaves that eventually kill the leaf. I don't want to use pesticides and I gather they have a natural predator. Where can I find some info or does someone know whats up?

2. busta

busta Junior Member

There are a few options you can use.
    organic pestacides: Chillie and garlic spary- you can make it yourself by soaking crushed chillies and garlic in water for a week or so the dilute the mixture so it looks like weak tea.
    The same cn be done with wormwood and southern wood.

Plant fennell in your garden the flowers attract predatory wasps

peace Busta

3. busta

busta Junior Member

There are a few options you can use.
    organic pestacides: Chillie and garlic spary- you can make it yourself by soaking crushed chillies and garlic in water for a week or so the dilute the mixture so it looks like weak tea.
    The same cn be done with wormwood and southern wood.

Plant fennell in your garden the flowers attract predatory wasps

peace Busta

4. thanks busta. chatted to a mate about that just now and he said the chilli and garlic just makes them shift around but doesn't eradicate them. I heard somewhere that praying mantis were good as well as another type of spider mite that just preyed on those mites, does that make sense?

5. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

i have Azaleas and have probs with Spider Mites periodically as well..... i use a mixture of garlic that has been chopped finely and left for 15 mins (releases certain enzymes apparently, even for cooking) b4 adding to warm soapy water.... i then spray it on in the early evening after all the predatory insects have gone to bed :laugh: and wont cause any stress to the plant.

the soap helps the mix to stay on longer.... i would repeat this until all mites are gone... it can take one to two weeks, but my azaleas are very thankful even though i know they cant tell me in person :p

hope this helps

Dave