Sourcing garlic

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by car2522, Apr 1, 2007.

1. car2522

car2522 Junior Member

I wish to find someone that sells garlic to plant. I can only find the imported from china type. I have heard there is a large purple type that is milder than the norm - no idea what it is called. I am on the Sunshine Coast, Qld.

Also anyone with hints on how to best grow garlic?

Cheers and thanks Carolyn

2. Muddy

Muddy Junior Member

Hello
    Probably the best source of garlic would be the Diggers club. (google them) They sell 6 types of garlic including the mild stuff you are after.
    I just buy any old garlic from the local shop when it starts to grow shoots. They usually sell it a bit cheaper when it gets to this stage. Just poke the cloves in the ground and wait. I prefer to use it at the spring onion stage rather than wait for bulbs. That way you can use the whole plant, green stuff and all. Getting bulbs up in the north is a bit tricky but I have found a way by limiting the amount of light the plants receive each day.
    Good Luck with it.
    Muddy

3. car2522

car2522 Junior Member

Thank you for the info.

Incidently I happened to walk into an organic shop today that I have never been in before and they had 2 different types of garlic. All locally grown and organic. I bought some Russian purple, and a large white variety. So into the ground they will go and hopefully I will have a good crop.

Cheers

4. sammiiz

sammiiz Junior Member

Hi, sorry to butt in.

So, can you plant the garlic, even if its not already sprouting? Or should you wait till each clove is 'popping its top'?

I was told once that the best way to grow garlic, is to saok it in water over night, then put the whole garlic in the ground, without seperating the cloves, and hey presto, great garlic plants...

is this true... or was i taken for a stroll up the garden path?

5. Muddy

Muddy Junior Member

Hello again,
    You can just stick the unsprouted cloves in the ground and up here they never fail. You can also (like bulbs) put the garlic in the fridge for a week or so and when you bring it out the increase in temp should make it sprout. Some imported garlic has been treated to prevent sprouting so avoid those.
    Cheers

6. Batz

Batz Junior Member

Did you get some car?

If not there is a couple at Noosa Farmers Market sell Russian organic garlic,this Sunday,if you can't get there I will get some for you as I have to score some myself this weekend.
    Just pop me a PM

Batz

7. carbrooksilkies

carbrooksilkies Junior Member

Garlic

Does anyone know of a good source to buy garlic for planting in SE qld. After tips of best markets or farms to purchase from so i can get a batch in to have fresh home grown garlic for next year. I'm after a few different varieties that i can plant out in a 5m2 patch.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Some thoughts on garlic

I have seen Chinese garlic and French garlic for sale in Coles and Woolworths.

The French seems much milder to me.
    There is an Elephant Garlic with massive cloves. I used to have a plant but lost it. It is mild flavored.
    Of course the more you cut or squash garlic the stronger the flavour. As more surface area of the plant is left open to the air and the sulphide flavor components come to the fore.

You can make a nice vegie with garlic by peeling 100 cloves or so boiling them and changing the water 2-4 times. They tase like a mild garlic flavored bean. You smell like a garlic patch the next day

I like to roast garlic with roast meat and vegies. Just cut of the top little bit of the bulb pour in a little olive oil and rub in lots of salt. Delicious, especially if you can cook them just to the caramalising stage (about 1 hour at 180-200C)

JTO PLANT
    ust break up the bulb into cloves; plant the cloves and in 9 months time the green shoot will die off. Then you can harvest your large bulb of garlic. If you are clever you can braid the dried leaves of garlic -quite ethnic!
    I like to put a few corms around the base of potted plants especially roses.

Very occasionally some vegies are sprayed with a growth inhibitor to stop them shooting. To get your Bulb of garlic going you could soak it in water for 24 hours then leave it for a week or so before planting
    Now is the time to plant garlic.

There is also garlic chives and society garlic another story

9. Muddy

Muddy Junior Member

I have just bought a kilo of "Chemical Free" elephant garlic. It was grown at Eungella which is in the hills west of Mackay, Queensland. This is the mild flavoured Russian garlic with massive cloves.
    The distributor is happy to sell by mail order and has offered her email address.
    [email protected]
    If you would like her phone number just send me a PM.
    I will try to keep you posted with the results when I get around to planting it.

10. carbrooksilkies

elephant garlic

Hi All, I was able to get a hjold of 4 kg from a grower at redlend bay...

Thanks for the replies.

The garlic has already sprouted nicely and little green shoots are growing by the day

11. carbrooksilkies

Just harvested some garlic

Hi all i have just harvested a few kilos of frsh garlic locally grown in carbrook.

I have a mix of russian garlic sourced from a redland bay grower and normal garlic sourced from the markets.

Let me know if anyone is interested.