songbird's roost

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by songbird, Sep 26, 2013.

1. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    if i've done the conversion right

24.5 US pints is 11.6 liters, of strawberry freezer jam i did last night and this morning. and i didn't even get one patch picked at all in time. today it is raining pretty heavy, so a good day to be inside making jam anyways. : ) pictures later.

not sure what i will do with the rest of the strawberries, we won't have that much freezer space so either i'll have to make regular cooked jam that doesn't need fridge/freezer space or figure something else out. i have been enjoying a combination of mustard, strawberries, cider vinegar and sugar as a cole slaw dressing, but i'm not sure that would can well. can try... experiments are fun and better yet, done small to trail to make sure i don't make a gallon of something i won't eat (or anyone else for that matter).

might try to dry some, make fruit leather (might take too much time for how much time i actually have these days).

still haven't finished planting, but should be ok anyways. only the outside gardens to do. sprouts up all over the place, some need thinning, hmm... i need a clone or two or...

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Helen - you need to lift your game…. Where's your plum jam?

How about just sliced and dried to be mixed with nuts? Or Young Country Wine?

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh god ... you had to ask didn't you? : )

I was thinking about hiding behind a "I'm not supposed to have sugar & if I make it I'll eat it & then I'll be REALLY sorry" excuse (& don't anyone say "use honey" - honey is sugar. And I only have a tiny amount of honey here anyway.)
    But the truth is I'm just shagged. And not in a good sense ; ) I'm so bloody tired & grumpy & worn out & constantly sore & achy that I can't be bothered. Everything hurts. My poor old hands are swollen up like sausages & its hard to do anything like cutting up fruit & measuring sugar. I've done something strange & painful to my right elbow & I now can't hold anything heavier than a cup of tea for the past 3 days : ( And I just know if I go back down the bank I'm gunna fall in the bloody stinging nettles again. Actually it's the fall that's worrying me - the stinging nettles might help the arthritis that caused me to be so useless as to fall in the first place : ) : )

But yeah ... I've been feeling very guilty about wasting them. I wish you lived next door ... I'd have them over there quick as a flash : )
    I dunno ... would they still be OK to use now? I guess I could go & check.
    I wonder if the cows would like them? One of the bastards would probably choke on them & cost me another huge vets bill & then die anyway : / : /
    Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find the bandicoots have eaten them already! : ) : ) ; )

Yep ... I'm lil' Miss Sunshine today folks : )

I think I'll start my own poll.
    Should my GP prescribe me super strength oestrogen patches????
    : ) ; )

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Ah yes ... I've been following your strawberry trial around a few posts : )
    Makes my mouth water : ) I LOVE real, home grown strawberries : )
    I had a few last year - literally only a few, & they were delicious , - before I managed to burn the hell out of my plants by ... can't remember ... I shifted the shade cloth or watered them in the middle of the day or shifted them into a sunnier spot & then forgot them for a few hours or something. It was when mouse & I were writing about erecting make shift shade thingies. It was damn hot here at the time, & I got distracted & bam! No more beautiful strawberries for me : (
    I wish I lived next door to you too : )

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Trail dammit ... not trial : ) : )

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Dammit I wish we ALL lived next door to eat other.

I don't reckon the meat eating thing is the topic of the century. I reckon the burning question is why the hell don't we all live near each other? I've been whining on about this on here for years.

So why the hell don't we???
    (The obvious aside).

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    well

i don't think anyone was hurt... i haven't watched the news yet.

it's not often you look out the window and realize that the neighbor's garage has been blown away. as it turned out theirs and the next house had theirs blown away, neighbors out back are missing a part of their roof, many trees down, one large tree on the house further down the road, a woodlot fairly flattened, car smashed by other falling tree, other houses damaged, ...

the heavy rains i mentioned in my last post were hiding a monster of wind or even a tornado, i couldn't see more than a few feet in the thick of it, but for some reason i wasn't too worried, i've been here when the house has shaken in heavy winds and this time it didn't even shake even if it was being hit on all sides at once by rain. i'd checked the weather radar a few minutes before and there was some odd storm patterns, but then it was just heavy rain and i didn't think anything else of it. no warning at all from authorities or alarms.

the power went out, the jam sat on the table overnight and through most of the day until a few hours ago and then i waited a bit before the jam went into the fridge, in a few hours when the freezer gets cold enough again i'll put the jam in there and hope it turns out ok. damn that was a lot of work and expense so i sure hope it turns out.

no major damage here, not even a leak in the roof that i can tell. this is crazy, but the other day when it was lightly sprinkling i could swear there was a dripping noise in the wall again. not yesterday, perhaps it was a rivulet, but i don't see it coming through the wall... dunno...

Ma and my sister were up north so they missed the whole thing.

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So pleased that you weathered the storm ok. At least if the road is blocked and the power takes some time to come on you'll be able to eat strawberry jam!

9. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Helen, i wished you lived here too, in another writing place we used to joke about someone getting the teleporter working so we could easily visit each other. now most people are gone from there and write on fb or livejournal.

then again, if you lived here you'd likely be a completely different person...

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Holy Hell! That sounds very exciting indeed! I love storms, but when they get that exciting I kinda wish I could fast forward to the end & make sure no-one is gunna die, & then I could relax & completely enjoy it without the accompanying anxiety : )

Thats a worry about the potential water in the wall. I dunno how you'd find it (without one of those moisture meter things termite inspectors use) but you need to exhaust all avenues to locate it if you think it's happening.

I don't want to visit anyone. I want us to live together. I like my life, I like living in my own home, & I don't much like visiting. (And I'm not overly fond of having other people stay here if I had to be very honest - but then again maybe I haven't had anyone NICE stay here so, maybe that would be a different experience?)
    But I'd love to be able to do it sometimes, without the huge hassle of driving hours & hours, or, god forbid, flying! It would be so good if we lived in a small community so we could go help or drop over for a visit when we felt the urge, & as needed, rather than on some schedule marked into a diary. I can never find my bloody diary - so I'd probably miss the plane : ) But if you were within yelling distance you could just holler when the jams ready, & I could throw some scones in the oven (or almonds in the blender if eco's got the day off work) & then half an hour later, Bob's yer Uncle : ) And I could just holler when I've got a calf that's got it's stupid head stuck in the head bale or something.
    That would be awesome.
    I want a life, not a holiday : (

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    ya! me too! : ) thanks Eco, if i'm writing here the power is on.

12. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    a bit more excitement than i was expecting.

if there is enough water it should eventually show up in the paint as bubble or discoloration, we'll see...

it's hard to have a village without the attendant dramas and often negatives of having too many people too close together.

i understand the gist of what you say about wanting your own space and not having to visit (i think i use the word visit to mean something less formal than you), a teleporter would allow being able to pop over easily, but it ain't going to happen. the energy needed to do it would be huge, let alone all the other technical aspects.

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I didn't think you were serious about the teleporter ... & besides, the pc word for teleporter is "feet" isn't it? ; ) (Well sort of ... you know what I mean) : )

Yeah ... the whole intentional community conundrum, with it's "attendant dramas & often negatives" aspects. Man, what a dilemma : ( This particular drama has consumed the last 20 years of my life! The old "how do you get close enough to get connected without getting so close you get invaded?" chestnut. Well it beats the hell outta me : ( I'm so totally exhausted & disillusioned with it all. How in gods name can it be so impossibly difficult???

Regarding the water ... I was kinda hoping you could get on top of it before it showed up as a bubble in the paint : / I freak out about water going anywhere it's not supposed to in houses.

14. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    haha, yeah, me, mr. literal, just being silly as usual. : )

people are complex and i think there isn't all that much done any more that really gets people learning to cope with others. technology means that people can get along at arms length, not like before when you had two or three generations living under the same roof (or needed a larger group living together for mutual protection). add in the pets as companion aspects and it really isn't too much of a mystery or surprise that more people live alone these days. i only see that trend reversing when it becomes a lot more expensive, difficult or dangerous to live alone.

this house has already got places to redo after 14 years of leaking so one more wouldn't bother me at this point. just would like to get it figured out before i start to patch and repaint before the warrantee period on the new roof expires. it's really a long and tedious story going back much longer through multiple houses built by the same person, etc. i'm just glad that Ma can sleep without getting dripped on and we're now down to only one possible spot of leaking.

15. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    yay! strawberries continued...

today some friends came out and picked some of the crop, it was good to see them and i was glad to have them come visit. i didn't expect it but they also brought a smaller child with them, and our place is not really what you would call child proof. there are things all over the place to trip over, or things that can hurt you if you aren't paying attention. with names like the rust garden, or the glass garden, rocks everywhere (of course!). still, she was friendly and helped pick berries.

when they were done picking i had to give them a short view of the worm farm as i was putting strawberry scraps into some of the bins. the parents are more squeamish than the kids. hope it was a good memory for her and perhaps they'll be back to pick sometime. i still have calls in to other friends to come pick, but until people actually show up and do it i don't reserve them, it's first come, first served. i wasn't really planning on helping pick today, but i did anyways... seems most people are too busy to even have time to pick. i think i've managed to get about 1/4 - 1/2 of the initial crop picked, hard to say for sure as there are some places i've not even gotten to yet.

i picked a bunch again the other day, to have berries for shortcake (which is currently a carrot cake without frosting on it -- turns out to be an excellent use of mashed strawberries : ) ) and i also made fruit leather, which was a lot of time before it was done, and i didn't really like the result. not counting the fact that i almost dumped the cookie sheet into the oven when i was changing the two cookie sheets around. much prefer the fresh taste like in the freezer jam or the berries used for shortcake. wish i had a lot more freezer space, i'd be out picking every day... i know i'm still short on pictures, but how many pictures of sinks full of strawberries does someone want to see?

oh and i managed to give away some green garlic. : ) one convert at a time... i suspect i'll hear comments about it being too hot, the garlic i grow is not mild, but if i pop one of the plants out of the ground and eat the newly forming cloves they are sweet for sure.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

All of them!

17. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    rhubarb and comfrey

two in two days!

finally someone else wanted rhubarb and actually came to get it. she makes a mouthwash out of it using vodka. i will no longer pick things for people who say they want things because it happens often enough that i would pick it and then they not show up. so now i will only pick when someone is here, better yet would be if they pick, but the number of older folks or injured folks we know is more than those who will actually come and do.

still they did clean and chop what i did pull for them and all were happy. as i've not really looked at the rhubarb much for a few weeks other than to pull the flower stalks off and at a distance admiring how it was doing such a nice job of covering that edge, i was surprised to see how well it was doing. normally it starts getting stung as it gets later in the season, but only a few spots were marked. i don't mind if the leaves get chewed, something was munching on some of them, can't recall anything ever chewing on them before, other than me...

in trade we now have some comfrey plants i have to figure out where to put them. i thought we were too far north for comfrey here, but she has been growing it for years at her place, so we'll give them a try. i even have a spot for them.

finally, i better get done with planting today. a few weeks late, but probably will still be ok for what i am planting. beans and more beans.

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Vodka rhubarb mouthwash - OMG! I wonder what the dentist thinks of it?!

Comfrey needs to go somewhere that you aren't going to dig regularly or you'll spread it everywhere. Happy with lots of water and OK with some shade (at least at my place - with your cooler weather you might want more sunshine). Good near a compost pile (pluck and chuck!) or under a fruit tree (chop and drop).

I'm doing beans too - even though we are 6 months out of sync!

19. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    no idea what the Dentist thinks of it, i suppose it wouldn't be any worse than any other alcohol based mouthwash. it's not like there is any added sugars... i will not be using it (i drink once in a great while, yet vodka and rhubarb would not be anywhere even close to on my list).

the comfrey went in a spot which gets sun most of the day, the pieces of plant were chunks of root 8-12cm and 1-2cm across, but not the whole taproot, she told Ma that it would grow from that just fine. i took off the leaves up top and then planted it and watered it well. it won't be dug up (on purpose) for a number of years. i like to see what a new plant looks like growing and flowering before i start doing other things with it. not sure what the rabbits or other creatures will think of it... it had just flowered, so i was kinda sad to not see them. will they bloom again later or is this it?

another bean person? : ) what varieties do you grow?

i have too many, i admit it, this year instead of being meticulous and keeping track of every row of beans planted (how many seeds, how many rows, etc.) i decided to select mixtures and to plant them all together in areas (spaced somewhat closely). the reasons for doing this is that i'm trying to encourage certain cross-breeding and because some do not grow particularly well, but if some do then i will get some seeds and the others that don't do well will get overgrown by the neighboring plants, and some extra because the critters might thin them out.

i did finally finish planting the beans and some buckwheat went along some of the edge of that garden. then i walked around and looked at what else i may have to plant again... the muskrats, woodchucks and chipmunks are doing a number on some of them and some crocus bulbs. looks like if i want to grow them more i'll need to do the bulb cages for them.

tomorrow, i will spend a few hours weeding at least and perhaps transplanting some of the onions that are being crowded by some other plants. i should know much better by now that leafy plants like turnips need more space than i gave them. i don't know how well the onions will react to being moved, but i figure if i take a big enough chunk of dirt with the roots and move them and then water them good they'll be ok. i certainly have enough of them.

then this week we get to start back up on the berm/reshaping of the south side and i hope we can get some chunk of that done this week as the weather is supposed to be cooler than it was today. digging is not easy for me still, but Ma said she'd help if i tell her what to do, but she doesn't have the patience so it might be a challenge. would be really nice to get it done.

the birdsfoot trefoil is really nice in the north central garden and the alfalfa is blooming, smells so wonderful, the bees agree, finally seeing a lot more bees around, not too many bumblebees, some natives, the raccoons scout out among the rocks for any wasp nests they put underneath. other things blooming nicely too. we're getting fairly regular rain and that is very much appreciated because it is so much better for the plants and it saves me time watering.

wormies are happy. i've found some rather pale pink worms and have put them in their own bin to see if they will breed in captivity. i have other pale white worms, and several other types, but i've not seen these before. they are soil/earthworms and not compost worms. should be interesting.

i was almost three for three today, but the person backed out after spending a lot of time working on their own yard today, they are having a wedding there in a few days and want it to be ship-shape.

did get some more pictures taken at last today, not sure when i'll get to selecting and editing. rainy days in the forecast.

ok, time to conk out. cheers!

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I put Purple King in this morning. There's another green climbing bean that went in 3 weeks ago - don't know the name as I bought seedlings to save time. My favourite are Madagascar beans. As a dried bean in a casserole they are REALLY yummy. I have had success with winged beans but couldn't get the family to eat them. Snake beans a bit hit and miss - the get attacked by aphids some times. I have done zebra beans and rice bean and yam bean - you name it!