songbird's roost

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by songbird, Sep 26, 2013.

1. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    they have a size limit on uploaded (to the PRI site) pictures. your picture is 27K too big. so it needs to be shrunk down to fit within that limit. i don't know what kind of tools you have on your computer to do that. here on this computer i have a program called GIMP, but Irfanview is a common program that others use for the same sort of thing (there are many others too).

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    bobs yer uncle

for the photo upload download issue, i try to put any pictures up on my own website and then i can reference them from my e-mails or other places (now that i know how to do it from here that's great) without having to do it again. saves a lot of bother but it does cut down on how many i post.

as i keep trying different things out, and i learn more, i'm trying to get a website generator program going that will do the photo albums and layout and let me do the text all locally on this computer and then upload it to the website when i have it done or when i do updates. i had one version set up for testing but i wasn't happy with it, so i'm still looking. thought i found another one a few weeks ago, but i've gotten sidetracked on something else lately so ... i'll get back to it eventually...

the head bobbing, i think it might actually be a part of the mating dance at first, but i don't really know for sure. it is hard to observe them without interfering and becoming a part of the observation. they've not nested close enough to the house yet where i can watch them from inside and not have them notice me watching.

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I think you need to recycle some free junk into a very cool bird hide :)

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I uploaded the photo to my desk top & chose "medium" for picture quality & size - which produces a photo size that has always worked fine on here so far. Does the amount of detail the photo contains affect the size of the upload? They're pretty detailed - lots of bright Rainbow Lorikeets on a Bangalow palm inflorescence :)

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It will only let me post the other photos in thumb nail size : (

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i suspect so, but i don't know what thingy you are using to get the "medium" setting when getting the picture from the camera. : ) as i'm not using "M*soft" or "App*" computer driven stuff i can't likely help you beyond generalities, but there are usually options for adjusting or doing a more direct edit of the picture.

e.g. when i load a picture into GIMP, then to downsize it for putting someplace else i have to export it, but there are options when exporting that let me select the size of the result. so in your case look for options when exporting or saving...

i always upload the largest and most detailed files from the camera so that they can be mangled more later... i have an external drive for storing them so that it doesn't plug up the system.

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh for goodness sake I have no idea what you're talking about ... however I was very glad to see that "thingy" is actually a technical term ; ) : )

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I have tried literally a dozen times to upload the bloody thing ... using the smallest size & lowest resolution ... only 15 kb size & it STILL won't let me upload it ... grrrr ...

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    you're hitting some other limit then. likely there is an amount of space you can have for uploaded photos someplace and you've gotten to that limit. try deleting a picture from your photo album and see if that works...

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    sometimes it helps to take it a bit less serious as much of this is not critical. and i don't mind poking fun at myself. :)

where i used to work it helped to be able to siddown and figure things out a bit at a time, and if i started using words like "program" or "cable" their eyes would glaze over (the acronym "MEGO" My Eyes Glazed Over : ) ) and we'd be sidetracked until i could get them back into the problem again... using a bit of humor and loopy words at least could keep them from getting freaked out about it all over again. especially if someone else was applying pressure to get something fixed.

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I hope you don't think I'm poking fun at you!
    I'm just playing with you is all : )

13. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    we're good. : ) and it is fun.

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

: )
    : )

15. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    system upgrade conversations

with recent cold weather continuing we've turned the thermostat down to 13C otherwise we'd be burning propane quite a bit faster than we'd like. chances are we'll run out of our second tank sometime this month. from then on it will either be electricity for spot heating when we need it (usually from April to October we don't need propane at all). normal years, we'll go through one to one and a half tanks of propane (ours is about 250 gallons, but they never fill it all the way up), so perhaps we burn around 200 - 300 gallons a heating season. this is in addition to extra electricity costs to run the fan to push the heat around.

now, this isn't horribly expensive compared to some folks heating bills. this winter the propane price has gone up quite a bit, but we can still afford it. yet, i do keep my eyes on the prices of things, when propane gets above a certain cost then it does make sense to switch to electricity or to consider alternative sources of heat.

which brings us up to today's conversation... : )

the furnace when it runs makes a fair bit of noise, it is efficient, but it isn't what i would consider very good in that it is located in the crawl space, so it isn't easy to monitor or clean the air filter or much else, but there really isn't any other viable spot for it either. and it's a bit too late anyways as the house is built, the ductwork is in, etc.

they really didn't design or plan on this place being a winter home... *sigh*

with the noise being a problem at times for Ma and she made the complaint today when we were talking about how cold it was and the status of the propane level and such. i took the step of mentioning that we just had several sunny days in a row, we could have been using some of that heat from the sun. i did not expect the harshness of her reaction. i mean, i know she hates change about as much as i do, but i thought that perhaps with the added carrot of having a chance at a more quiet system she might at least be willing to think about it. wow. was i surprised. immediate negative, strong words, etc.

as i knew that wood burning is out of the question i did poke back and said something like: "well at least it isn't wood." and her reply was pretty harsh still.

so it may be that i'm stuck here with no chance of upgrading heating no matter how expensive propane gets. i.e. if it gets too expensive we switch to electric and that will be how it goes.

or... and what i'm hoping will actually happen, is that she'll think about it and likely we'll talk about it again, and i can gradually get into the research and design of something she'd accept and be positive about in the end. i think the harsh reaction was like the lancing of a boil or release of pressure. she knew it was coming, so it got done, now she can think about it. or not. we'll see.

i'm not really too sad about the idea of not doing anything soon, as then it would not be tying up funds into something i may not get any return on or only a partial return on. when the time comes, if i buy the place, if i do improvements now then for me to buy it later means i'm spending money for the same thing twice... i hate that... but then again, i hate spending money for heat when we could be getting some of it from the sun. we could probably reduce some heating and electric costs by a third to half without too much trouble (putting in heat collectors for hot water and hot air, i.e. not doing solar electric as that is much more expensive -- only putting in enough solar electric panels to run the small pumps needed to circulate hot water through a closed system).

such is life. the journey continues. those of you who have full control over a site and can make upgrades easily when desired, well you have my complete and utter envy (in a nice way : ) ).

16. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I am constantly amazed at how people afford to live in very cold climates. It's just beyond me. And I also wonder about the environmental consequences. I know from a personal viewpoint you (universal you, not personal you songbird : ) ) were born there & you work there & that's where your family & friends & house are ... but really, it has to be a big problem that so many people live where you need a lot of extra heating & cooling. I don't know what the answer is, but if it was me living with all that snow I'd be making plans to move : )

I think I missed something somewhere ... why is your Mum so touchy about discussing the heating???

I'm on another forum that has quite a few Americans & I've been reading a lot of woes regarding the cold & heating issues recently. Guess it doesn't make you feel any better that you're not alone huh? : /

I wish I had some helpful suggestions for you but I don't. I have very little experience with heavy duty heating, having lived my entire life in a perfect climate.
    And I have nothing helpful to add about dealing with difficult elderly mothers either. I gave up on mine a long time ago : /

A couple of hugs is the best I can offer I'm afraid : )

(((x)))

17. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

So that wasn't a typo - 13C? We have 13C days here in winter quite often and down to -2 or 3 overnight but at those temps are slow combustion heater is going 24/7. That is our only source of heating.

I cannot imagine having a heating device that is SET at 13C. I feel the cold terribly. Every winter here I moan about moving to Queensland. But I hate Queensland - I just love the weather there. :/ (no offence to the Banana Benders).

If I was on my own the method of heating would be problematic. I would have to learn how to operate a chainsaw (which scare the crap out of me) and then I would have to split all the wood myself. No I would have to PAY someone else to split the wood. We leave most of our fallen wood on the ground but take just what we need from fallen branches over the summer. (In Australia the big eucalypts drop large branches after periods of prolonged hot weather).

Electricity prices here are not conducive to using it as a heating source (or cooling for that matter).

I can't imagine what it must be like to live with such cold weather but one gets used to what one grows up with. I hope your ma comes around to your ideas in time. :)

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

19. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

My dear SO says he has determined my 'comfort parameters' by gauging when my whinging starts and stops: 23C - 32C ish = no whinging. Over 32C = minor whining. Under 23C = whining increases as temperature decreases. :p

20. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I would imagine, judging by that, that you & I could happily share a niche : ) : )
    How we would go stuffing an extra foxie & 4 kelpies in that niche is anybody's guess : )

And now I really do have to go to bed. Apparently Telsta no longer have Wake Up & Reminder calls. So if I don't get to sleep now, there is no way I'll be awake by 6.00 a.m on my own : /