songbird's roost

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by songbird, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Damn Songbird, hope you keep checking back from time to time. I'm expecting a new editor soon and am anxious to work with her/him to get these forums back on track.

songbird likes this.
  2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    thank you for the reply and the notice. i will check in from time to time. :)

in the short term, broke my camera and am looking for a step up from what i was using before so i can get better pictures of what i'm after.

the gardens are doing ok. much rain, way too much rain but still the plants are growing. the farmers who are stuck with their few crops and no flexibility in planting are faced with now having seeds that they can grow but will not get a crop from them because it is too late. they might be able to grow them as a cover crop and some plants can be used as animal feed, but nothing like normal. in the mean-time, me with my small area and diversity am looking at some kinds of returns. already the strawberries have come in, the peas are coming along, cucumbers are just now getting big enough to pick.

diversity brings resilience and alternatives.

ok, that is just a short update. be well. :)

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    most of the harvest is in - at least the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions are finished well enough. beans are still finishing up. recent rains are making a mess of them, but we'll see how it goes.

the other day i was wondering if it was going to rain, looked at the radar and saw a big enough storm heading our way that i went outside and picked some beans so i would have something to do that afternoon instead of being stuck inside without much to do. i picked two large box tops of beans to shell out and that was what i did the rest of the day. now i have them spread out and drying so they can later be stored...

in other news, the local library may start a seed library and so i hope to get involved with that if i can and that they will work it out with the director/board of the library. i will not be the point person on this, me and the management there are not that compatible so i would much prefer a buffer if you know what i mean?

otherwise, just ambling along, trying to work on projects as i can...

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    nothing has still happened and i'm not making any more changes because my edits and posts have been repeatedly destroyed. pretty sad... i sure miss all the old crew that used to write here.

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i'm still around, but not spending much time on this particular site any longer.

the garden season has pretty much wrapped up and now we're just puttering around on projects.

one project i did with regards to computer stuff was to finally get a certificate set up for the website so that the pictures that were not appearing should now all be showing up in the above thread. that makes a lot of difference and i'm glad to not have to got back and edit this whole thing yet another time.

@9anda1f are you still around?

6. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
  7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    first significant snow, shovelled this morning. hoping to still get some gardening done before winter really sets in for good, but dunno if that will happen.

the season was a challenge, but some good things too come from it including yet more bean variants to see what they do and more friends. keeping busy for sure.

website is still there at anthive.com, other gardening forums to talk to people and helping people grow things. nothing much happening here, but if people start posting again i'll eventually see them. :)

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    2022 is here, hopefully Omicron will be the last large surge of the crud, etc.

the large local seed swap i was looking forwards to attending has been cancelled again. :( i'm going to see if i can do something smaller more local so we'll see how that turns out.

anyone else here at all?

9. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i have started a local gardening group that meets once a month at the library. :) i normally bring some seeds to give away along with the library itself having a seed library for people to use.

spring has been cold and wet enough that i've not gotten outside nearly as much as i'd like to be but this coming week at last is looking good for some gardening weather.

nothing hugely different going on. some minor nusciances like needed a culvert replaced and the roof leaking still but we're getting there. just time keeps going on and i'm enjoying whatever gardening i can get up to.

as a longer term goal that had eluded me for some time i finally was able to get a picture of a recently hatched killdeer that was off and running but hadn't ran so far fast enough that i was prevented from capturing it at last on the camera. :) such a sweet little birdie.

[​IMG]

LdnErin likes this.
  10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    beans from a cross i'm hoping is stable now (looks like it is) - these were harvested from the same plant about 4 days apart.

[​IMG]

finished weeding the North Garden and then transplanted some more ground covers to get some more erosion control layers going. it looks a lot better with green on there instead of bare dirt (plus it's a lot fewer weeds). if you look closely in the left and some of the ridges and slopes you might be able to see the transplants that were watered in and getting ready to take over their new corner of the world. i still have a few layers to go, but it's getting there... the lack of bean plants in the central area back there is due to deer eating most of them.

[​IMG]

from another angle that i don't usually take a picture standing in that spot. showing some of the other decorations around that area (and the front birdbath).

[​IMG]

the Red Lucifer out front also has been grazed pretty heavily but they didn't get all the flowers. too bad the hummingbirds won't fly at night and defend their flowers... perhaps i need to get them some night goggles?

[​IMG]

i thought of Mom when taking this one as i know they like those close up and personal kinds of flower pictures. :)

picked tomatoes today and put up 21 quarts. more to go as they ripen.

Joe_ma likes this.
  11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i'm still around and gardening and trying to continue using whatever permaculture techniques i can in the gardens and what little is left of the lawn here. :)

considering how little i have to do with this garden i like how it turned out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really enjoy working on this space to improve it for both flowers and growing vegetables. it really needs a fence to keep out the deer, rabbits, groundhogs, etc. but mostly it also now needs for some of the daffodils to be thinned out.

[​IMG]

of the daffodils this one is my favorite

[​IMG]

i've added more pictures to the website and to the daffodil page

https://www.anthive.com/project/daffodils/

12. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    the tomato canning season is over and we did ok this year. not the best quality but acceptable.

doing well for the most part. continuing issues with critters. without good fences that can happen.

beans have done ok. i love the color of these flowers.

[​IMG]

and this is a new edible cross between Painted Pony and likely one of the Peregion selections.

[​IMG]

13. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Happy Solstice, and for those who celebrate Christmas I hope y'all have a nice holiday. :)

not too much new here going on, but it has been an interesting end to the gardening season and moving into the winter routine.

just for grins, showing how one garden has changed over the past 15 years...

Spring 2008:

[​IMG]

Summer 2008:

[​IMG]

Summer 2011:

[​IMG]

Summer 2017:

[​IMG]

Spring 2020:

[​IMG]

Summer 2023:

[​IMG]