Someone check my analogy please?BIOCHAR

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ho-hum, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Biochar,

Ok, I have seen the diagrams and explanations etc and acknowledle I am a bit thick.

The analogous situation I want to use is a good old fashioned woodstove I grew up with. If I were to use this to create biochar I would build a nice fire and its products would be heat and ash and a bit of charcoal but not biochar in the ash box/grate.

If I were to fill the oven as well, with carbon based fuel and vent its gases back into the firebox, ultimately, what was left in the woodstove would be biochar?? Given that it hadnt caught fire etc. Is that it? Have I got the process correct?

Same with a bread oven, get it hot then pack it with fuel and seal it but what happens to the methane?

cheers,

ho-hum

2. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Re: Someone check my analogy please?BIOCHAR

I think it would be charcoal but not bio char until soaked in compost tea.the process sounds right to me -cut the oxygen and vent the gas
    . You could be creating a potentially explosive situation ,gotta use or vent the gasses.

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Sounds like a great idea anyway Psculptor.

Soaking charcoal in compost tea and tossing that around the garden.

cheers,

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

There is a yahoo "Stoves list" where people muse about this
    I imagine you could end up with ash rather than charcoal.

I would like a pyrolosis machine that heated my house, cooked my food, heated my water, with enough left over to run my gerator, and dive back power to the grid, and give me low-temp-char for my garden.
    (Maybe i should just become a Mormon and have half-a-dozen wives?):)
    But, I think i am dreaming.
    Though, perhaps, imagining hard enough will make it happen?
    It worked for the communicators on Star Trek (AKA Cell or Mobile phones)

5. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

we have the same dream Michael except mine is solar powered :rolleyes:

6. Noz

Noz Junior Member

Apparently the gases that come off the wood are potent greenhouse gases, so I'd suggest something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8lqes1glAk

I haven't tried anything, but I have heard a few people talk about it & I think that burning the wood gas is important.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Most smoke is not good to breathe.

Humans have been making charcoal since the Iron Age.
    In the UK traditional coppiced forests have been harvested for charcoal making for maybe 1-2,000 years.
    Japan is also way ahead of the game in it's many horticultural uses of charcoal.

The exciting thing is the combination of this ancient practice with modern engineered pyrolosis systems. These not only can make charcoal from anything at low temperatures, but they can also harvest the energy!
    One to run the process
    and
    Two to run a generator or to extract bio-oil from the biomass,

As well as this the new pyrolosis systems trap most of the smoke so you could run a plant at the local tip or in urban areas and connect it, via a generator, to the grid! The Australian technology is said to produce as much exhaust as a family SUV car!

This is one reason people are excited about biochar.
    The other exciting possibility is its ability to sequester CO2 for thousands of years from biomass that now goes to the tip to eventually produce methane!
    (I suspect my local Council actually recycles very little from my feel-good "recycling" bin)
    Add to that the great effects low-temp-char has on soils and the environment (preventing polluting agricultural run off for example) and you have a winner that astounds me that every local council is not installing pyrolosis as part of their waste management. Much better than paying the NSW government over $200 a tonne to dump the stuff. Even if they gave away the charcoal for horticultural and garden use they would have to be ahead finacially as well as environmentally.
    It astounds me how slow we are to take the first step. Much of this pyrolosis engineering has been developed in Australia. An operational large scale demonstration plant is at Somersby NSW. it is unfortunate, that like most Australian Good Ideas, the Yanks have just bought the technology. Even that is is a good sign as the Yanks can always smell a good thing$.

Some recent resech on biochar posted at the Hypography Terra preta sub-forum
    https://hypography.com/forums/terra-pret ... rch-4.html
    https://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1755-1315 ... b0dd982d4e
    Sorry my connection is too slow to look at your video today i will come back -m

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

I think you are too but only a friend would say it
    kind regards