Some plants / crops dying when planting out, I think its the soil

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Diggman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hi,
    some of the plants Im placing outside seem to be dying off quite quickly this year, the peppers have been attacked by slugs so no worries there really but I planted some corn and about 5 of them out of the 12 have all died off, my soil is quite alkaline +-7-8.0, many worms around, but beneath is med - heavy clay, I have been cultivating the soil over the last few months forking in well rotted horse manure and quite a bit of goose manure (fresh) ...
    The seedlings were started off in finely sieved, well rotted horse manure and seemed fine in that until planting out, I planted out only if they were atleast 10-15 cm high and it looks like only 1 or 2 were attacked by slugs. this is London UK weather and over the last week - 10 days it really has been grey skies and quite wet.

Today I bought peat free grow bag compost as this worked well in my first year growing so transplanted many into that today too

any advice expert opinions welcome

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I have never planted corn from seedlings I think it is much better to grow direct from seed. You plant the seed and do not water initially no matter how tempting it is. They like lots of water but only once they are up reasonably big and growing. The corn seedlings probably got a bit too wet. But I'm no expert, that is just what works here and we have very sandy soil and VERY dry hot weather in spring/summer.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I grow corn from seedlings as they seed gets eaten in the ground otherwise.

I'd be wary of fresh goose manure straight on the beds - a bit strong. Use it to make home grown compost and put the compost on instead.

Slug traps? A duck trained to eat slugs?

My approach is never to get too hung up when stuff dies. Just keep planting things until something works, then repeat!

4. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

Get a laboratory soil test, and go to Yahoo Groups "Soil and Health" facilitated by Steve Solomon for the background to the need for the soil test and what to do with it to scientifically establish the needed mineral balance.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

All of that manure is very alkaline, and needs quite a few months to break down and make it okay for plant roots. Check out what weeds are growing in it, and see if they are weeds that like alkaline conditions. Since you already know it's 7.8, it's crucial to bring it back down with coffee grounds and compost tea, doing thick leaf and weed mulch (shovel's depth) kept wet to bring the worms up.

With a pH that high it is locking up nutrients that the plants need, so until you get it slightly acidic it will probably be quite frustrating to plant in.

6. linasteve

linasteve Junior Member

You can test the soil and check for the soil quality, the percentage of nutrients in the soil and other required contents like minerals, water holding capacity etc. If there is a lack of nutrients, then you can try adding it externally by nutritious and organic cocopeat. Cocopeat can also improve the water holding capacity of soil. I use it in my garden for growing veggies.