Solar Towers

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Jana, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jana

Jana Junior Member

Anyone considered what these mega structures would do to the local climate?

SOLAR TOWER —www.enviromission.com.au/
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tWlP0knKQU

Note that this mega-design could be made on a smaller scale with mirrors pointing to the top of the tower to generate steam engines, as well as the wind turbines inside the tower.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day jana,

to me they would be just as unattractve as windmills and consume vast areas of land, and may still not be anymore reliable at providing power when it is needed as windmills currently are. also those big refelector areas on the ground may look like water to overflying water birds who could crash down onto them. probably still be as unaffordable as the current renewables are power wise.

all land is habitat land not for us to say lets use that for our end, too much of that gone on already.

len

3. springtide

springtide Junior Member

They made a few of these in the 80s - and this one looks the same. A giant hot house down stairs - hot air rises and up the flue to the colder air a few hundred metres up. I liked the 80s idea of the huge greenhouse for growing stuff but they haven't taken off in the last 20 years or so and i don't see how this one is different. Re-hashing a failed idea?

4. Jana

Jana Junior Member

Yes it seems to me we need some women on the design team.
    Whether it is sky scrappers, bombs, rockets or solar towers the guys keep wanting to build huger and huger penises.
    Soon they will create a penis to the moon you know, have you heard about that one.

Where are those implosion geniuses...we need the feminine force!!

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

looks fine works fine so build them

penis envy shouldnt bemoan the fact that in theory it works

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I myself, can't beleive that people would prefer a coal burning plant "somewhere else"

7. gardenlen

g'day ppp,

it comes down to affordability, what do people wan?t power that the poor can't afford and those who are asset wealthy and plastic rich being converted to the poor classes? for me the amount of habitat that those plants would consume bothers me also, as a permaculturist surely we have done too much damage to our habitats already?

might take some latteral thinking but why should small time aussie shut down our few coal fired power stations whilst china with 300 now and planning to add another 300 or so and still we are going to keep mining coal (a polluting industry) to sell coal to the chinese, something doesn't gel for me sounds of a feel good measure in grand scale. let the big boys clean up their act first.

len

8. Jana

Jana Junior Member

MAGNEGAS - Ruggero M. Santilli Hadronic Mechanics
    Magnegas is a high tech fuel instigated by Jimmy Carter...Santilli spent 10 years working out the new math!!! For Hadronic chemistry.
    MAGNEGAS~from sewage to fuel tank, new type of matter produced magnetically from an electric arc, with carbon electrodes. Similar uses to natural gas.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ95cccW9es&mode=related&search=
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0WXkj1Drw
    www.magnegas.com/
    Ruggero M. Santilli: Magnegas / Aquafuel ~ US Patents & articles
    "Recycling Liquid Wastes and Crude Oil into MagneGas and MagneHydrogen": https://magnegas.com/technology/part1.htm Santilli's Scientific Papers:
    www.rexresearch.com/santilli/santilli.htm
    https://www.magnecules.com/ Santilli: Magnegas & Magnecules
    —Dr. Ruggero Maria Santilli, https://www.i-b-r.org, https://www.magnegas.com
    SANTILLI, Ruggero Maria: Foundations of Hadronic Chemistry with Applications to New Clean Energies and Fuels, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston-Dordrecht-London (2001)

9. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Both Liberal and Labour parties seem to enjoy subsidizing our ancient coal industry so it is still cheaper than most renewables, until they get rid of this we aren't going to see much change in Aust. Solar is generally only good in the daytime, 1/2 the population don't like wind turbines and no one really wants to give money to invest in "hot rock" (geothermal - sounds like the best base load option we have) so what ya gonna do?

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    "Be the change you want to see in the world" said someone smart. Can we really afford to wait for the Chinese to lead the way? I think not.

11. springtide

springtide Junior Member

I'm still a bit pessemistic about the "somewhere else" bit - look at the Gunns pulp mill in Tassie, they/we make the woodchips and buy the paper back but would rather send it to asia to be processed in a dodgey old factory with crooked government officials watching over it and using child labour to boot, rather than using aussie labour and world class standards..... Go figure.

12. Jana

Jana Junior Member

13. gardenlen

thanks jana,

but sadly like fule for vehicles there is no or not enough prfit rip off potential in alternatives that work affordably and reliably. look at the huge rip off in solar and it takes a gov' rebate out of taxes ripped off from health and education etc.,. solar at around $10-15k per kilowatt is a dead set rip off as is the grid feed idea a waste of effort, and it only got dearer because of the "being seen to be doing something policy of the gov'". solar runs on gov' subsidies wait until obscelenscence comes along from about year 10 no subsidy for replacing or maintaining componenets along the way.

len