soil improvement methods

Discussion in 'General chat' started by urbanpermasuccess, Aug 1, 2007.

1. urbanpermasuccess

urbanpermasuccess Junior Member

G'Day all.............Ive just been reading some of the posts and have found them all very interesting and informative. It is interesting to hear of all the different soil problems and how gardeners from all over the world are acting to solve their soil problems.

Here on the far north coast of NSW I have a sandy heath soil with a ph of about 4. I've been adding heaps of compost, dolomite, dynamic lifter(composted) and have managed to raise the beds up about 20-25 cm off the ground. The main problem i've had are the root knot nemetodes which are impacting on silverbeet, tomatoes and zuchinni.

My front garden and nature strip is covered in banksias, lilly pillys and beautifull heathland plants that are endemic to the soil. This not only acts as a refuge for wildlife but provides me with a fodder crop which I mechanicaly shred with a 9 hp chipper.

I am in need of more bulk nitrogen to feed the dry mulch prunings and wondering if anyone has any ideas on a high yielding nitrogen crop that would be of value for such a small urban garden. Ive been chook poo, urine, vegi scraps and cardamon leaves. Things are looking good but we all need more compost dont we!!!!

2. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi, Its getting a bit late now to get the maximum potential growth, but you can still plant any peas, beans etc to cut for your nitrogenous material. Any is better than none. For the nematodes, select the area you next want to plant those crops that are now being affected by them. Mass plant marigolds and about 3-4 weeks before you want to plant your crop, dig the marigolds in. Add your chook manure etc at the same time. Give it a good watering and by the time you want to plant, the soil should be pretty clean. If it is a real problem at your place, I would make it a practice to plant, grow and dig in Marigolds anywhere there is a space as an ongoing strategy. Fortunately they are good companion plants for many crops.
    Q:- How do you eat an elephant?
    A:- one bite at a time. :lol: :lol:
    Jackie K

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep sandy soils seem to be a magnet for nematodes/root knot, i found i had to make sure i rotated those susseptable crops, and using heaps of green type mulches helped as did keeping the soil structure active by feeding it with daily kitchen scraps.

len

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Tagasastie trees will do a great job

Try mixing your mulch prunings when still green.or in winter is handy or it can dry out too quickly

Tezza

5. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

G'day,
    Sounds like you'v got quite a challenge.
    Broad beans will kill tomato nematodes if they are dug in. They also send roots deep into the soil and provide lots of nitrogenous OM. They are usually a winter crop but the dwalf (fava bean) type grows through summer in the dryest of conditions. Oats are also renound for cleaning the soil.
    Have you considered planting a patch of comfrey or lucern? Both will provide up to 6 cuts a year of bulk nitrogenous material and draw up lots of nutrients from deep in the soil.
    all the best.
    IG