Soil from gum tree forest

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by summit1966, Aug 18, 2018.

1. summit1966

summit1966 New Member

Climate:
    temperate.
    Hi all,
    New to this forum, so thanks for having me.

I have a parcel of land In northern Victoria, the land is in dry land area with an average rainfall of 450mm. The property has quite a few stands of Yellow Gum trees which have been shedding leaves for many years. I have noticed that the leaves have decomposed and left what seems like some quite good soil underneath. In some places, some good pasture has developed as a result of this soil. My question is, would it be ok to scrape the soil under the gum trees and disperse and mix it in other locations on my property to add some fertility? Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

2. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

You’d be spreading the soil life (bacteria, fungi and so on) of a eucalypt forest floor so to my mind, I’d only be moving it to areas where I intend there to be a eucalypt forest. For example, an area newly planted with trees and shrubs would be ideal. This would help to inoculate the newly planted area. There may be other goodies in this soil that would benefit other habitats. You could experiment and move some to an area and see whether there is any noticeable impact.

9anda1f likes this.
  3. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Since yellow gum is as Raymondo mentioned a member of the Eucalypt family and this family is known for allopathic compounds in their exudates I would suggest you use small amounts of the soil to bolster compost heaps and then use that compost to build soil. This method allows you to gather and propagate the microorganisms without bringing too much of the allopathic compounds to new areas of your land.