Soil Erosion May Get Us

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by 9anda1f, Dec 3, 2014.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    ... Before Climate Change Does

This is a great article, not only for the ideas it conveys, but for the links to old documents (free!) that describe the reasons for the downfall of many civilizations: erosion! Found references to "permanent agriculture" in the Conquest of the Land report, maybe a predecessor to Bill Mollison's Permaculture! Anyhow excellent reference materials for your library and very interesting reading.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2014-12-01/soil-erosion-may-get-us-before-climate-change-does

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    check out the book_Dirt_, by David Montgomery 2007 at the library. Covers much of the same topic.

all very interesting and fitting to permaculture applications.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Attached Files:

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Very Cool, I have original copies of both of these books. I received them back in 1970 from one of my horticulture professors because of my beliefs in not disturbing soil for farming or any other reason. I remember him telling the lecture hall that I was expounding on Ideas that, while not ahead of the times, were in fact recognition of historical facts. Pretty awesome to see that they are now available to everyone. Every where in the world that people have created civilizations you can find the evidence of erosion. It is what led to the demise of the Anasazi, and many other pre-history civilizations. In fact I believe that only a few civilizations did not meet their demise by other means.