Small success

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Matt_95, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

If I was to use goldfish I will be using the best quality show goldfish we can get in Australia. They will have lots of problems eating taddies. I will probably just use delicate blue eyes as I love that species.

I use plants to filter the water of most of my fish tanks, the amount of waste they produce is realy not much. I don't think adding a few fish would really have an noticable effect. It would be a different story if it was highly stocked to grow fish for food though.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I went with the books recommendation. /shrug

However, as a child I spent summers near West Point, NY and there were man made lakes stocked with bass and other fish that I swam in regularly.

It literally comes down to how much care a person wants to put in, will they need an actual filter system as opposed to only needing plants. Are you going to have a mud bottom or not? The amount of variables can be overwhelming.

Additionally, fish will attract predators such as racoons, and skunks at the very least in the US, and deer exceptionally often in the suburban parts of many places I lived in the US as well thus a fence is needed. With fish you also have the added bonus of flying predators as well, so a person will need bird scares over the pond.

3. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Actually plants will filter the water fine if you want to stock fish, their roots act as a biological filter, housing bacteria and taking up the waste. They will also trap the fish waste in their roots/media :)

4. Shawburn

Shawburn Junior Member

Hedge with Rosemary and Coffee sounds interesting.
    Have you planted it yet? Did you include other plants in the hedge?
    I'm like hedges for the habitat and food it creates while utilitarian too.

5. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Very late reply here, yes I have the rosemary hedge is growing well a fair few died though as when I planted them it rained far to much for them and they succumbed to the wet. The coffee is looking pretty ratty, I think it's either getting to much sun, the soil is to poor or maybe something else, I will get a photo this weekend for advice.