Small success

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Matt_95, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

When I made the switch to permaculture I initially had a few reservations from Mum and Dad so I was given the back yard (but not the lawn) and they kept the front yard. Well needless to say Dad killed off the camellias he was trying to hedge with glysophate. We don't use it anywhere now and I now have had 3 species of frog show up :D I have finally convinced my parents to consider a hedge that has both ornamental value but is also practical. So today I got them to take me to a nursery and we came home with 15 coffee plants and 16 rosemary bushes. I think I have converted them!! I will get pictures up sometime next week :) just thought I would share that with y'all I am very excited :D

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Congrats.

What's next?

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

4. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Next plan is a pond. ATM all the frogs get attracted to the pool which is chlorinated. I need an alternate water source for them so they don't die in it. I am also hoping to convert the pool to salt water as chlorine is a carcinogen and salt would be cheaper in the long run but more $$ up front. I tried convincing them to let me use natural filtration but it is "dirty"

I've read through a fair few threads on here about it. I finally convinced them about how bad it is. Well I think they only do it to humor me but at least they have stopped :)

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Sorry, didn't mean to be so preachy. I am just really freaked out by that chemical and what it is doing worldwide. I to had to explain to my father two days ago how insidious it is. Good luck with the pond.

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Or even this if we are going extreme permaculture!? Convert your eco-unfriendly pool into a biologically attractive fish farm.

You wouldn't like where I work then. They use it like it's lolly-water full of sunshine and goodness for everyone!

8. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I have a wild idea for both in the same pool, though it might be kind of weird to swim with that many fish!

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Kids might not like the biting effect that curious fish may bestow.

For example, my 4 (nearly 5) year old is still freaked out by the 'Kreepy Krawley' or 'Pool Cleaner'. I'm not sure dark depths with flashes of silver while a frog swims past will go down well.

10. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

I've already floated that idea they said it was too "dirty" it's not something they will change their mind on. Oh well, I have my fish inside :)

11. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Fish are not kept in a natural swimming pool. Fish that would be included would be more scared of the human then the human of the fish. They would not bite.

13. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

That's an interesting statement of "fact" which I'm not totally convinced is absolutely true.

"Most natural swimming pools have fish in them, but you don’t have to worry about them bothering you or biting your toes. These fish are friendly, and they’re more interested in getting acquainted with the algae and insects in the pool. Plus, they’re very relaxing to watch, and you can feed them when you’re not swimming!"

https://greenopolis.com/goblog/green-groove/get-closer-nature-all-natural-swimming-pool

In any case, I think one might have a fish side and a human side to the pool (with a division of some sort between, perhaps the shallow filter zone). I've personally decided to have a frog pond instead of a fish pond, I think, and keep the fish to the aquaponics. :)

14. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    My step sister uses a sand filter system for their pool,could this be an option for you.
    I dont know never having had a pool myself.

Might be case of one step at a time, looking at what will move your property closer and closer to how you want it in easily manageble bites.
    I seriously recommend changing things bit by bit rather than going all out like we did.
    That way you get to learn how things need tweaking and can keep ontop of everything rather than having to play catch up cos so many things take off all at once.

15. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

That was in reference to this:

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Actually, it was in reference to the book Ludi cited which explains in detail how to make a natural swimming pool & suggests NOT to keep fish, and I agree. Keeping fish in a swimming area is well beyond the scope of 99% of people to handle due to increased pollution.

It just so happens I read the book Ludi posted and took notes last month, it is in my local library now. 8)

17. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Congrats on the new plants Matt!

Saline pools are very nice to swim in, although I don't know more about them than that.

You can always have a few fish in your frog ponds, which are basically what our ponds are for. 15 cent feeder gold fish keep the mosquitos away, and they also enjoy eating any bugs we throw in there. They devoured the squash bugs that invaded this year.

18. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Fish eat frog eggs and small tadpoles, so it's best not to keep fish in dedicated frog ponds.

19. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Seems to be a wide divergence of opinion about fish in natural swimming pools, from "you shouldn't keep fish in a natural swimming pool" to "most natural swimming pools have fish in them." :think:

20. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Thats why you give the tadpoles some shelter, although you are right. Goldfish eat literally everything. Poor frogs :(