Slug Control Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Anuhea, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Anuhea

Anuhea Junior Member

Any and all slug control suggestions please. I already know about beer, and will not give up mulching my garden.
    Thanks!

2. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

Re: Slug Control Suggestions Please

I find my slug (flatmate) responds poorly to beer. Just leaving the cans everywhere.

I try the guilt trip, and just clean up around the slug, and then say "someones got to do it"

eventually said slug gets up and helps..

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Theres a lot of natural remedies,

Wheat flour around the edge of the bed or plant is susposed to create a barrier.
    Saw dust apparently works in a similar way.
    If its the shelled variety, You could also contact any French resteraunts in your area (Prices average $15 per dozen).

4. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Let the chickens visit the vege patch? Although I suspect the chickens would eat more than the slugs might.

5. Snowtree

Snowtree Guest

Hi

I use what I call my witches brew - in a cup of boiling water dissolve a large teaspoon of vegemite and 3 teaspoons of sugar. use as you would beer baits - pour 1/3 mixture in a small container and top up with cool water - a few days later lots of drowned slugs and slaters. Must be the yeast that attracts them - same as beer.

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day eloise,

no need to give up mulching they will find somewhere else to hide. early morning safaris are good as well as evening torch light safaris, creat hiddy holes lengths of earthenware pipe or blackened poly pipe one end blocked off, lay section of wall sheet or cardboard for them to hid in or under then each day harvest them. the shell models squish easy as do those little cigar shaped models the big flat buggers can be dealt with by dropping into hot water.

also and this worked for us but it takes time and you need to break into their breeding cycle as it works best with the newly hatched ones. spray strong coffee on and around the base of the plants this is "that you wouldn't drink it in a fit coffee el-cheepo instant", mixed strong enough to melt the spoon well not quiet but you get the point, this needs re-applying each few days or after rain or watering, but persistance will work, and i mean hey! it is dirt cheap and non toxic to the environment.

the beer traps are also very good.

len

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I live in the Slug Capital of the World, the U.S. Pacific Northwest coastal area.

I have tried everything, and there are only two good remedies for organic growers: handpicking and iron-phosphate-based slug baits (Sluggo, Escar-Go, probably others). This bait has been authorized by OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) as safe for organic growers. It is safe for pets, birds, and children, and breaks down into a natural fertilizer.

Ducks like snails. If a neighbor has snails, ask if you can give your slugs to them. You can drown slugs in a bucket of soapy water. I collected them in milk cartons, sealed them closed, and put them in the garbage can.

Beer is okay, but I think the slugs breed faster than they drown, and the raccoons and opossums keep emptying the containers and holding wild parties. Beer isn't cheap.

Metaldehyde-based baits (Cory's Slug & Snail Death, Deadline, Slug-Tox, etc) are also deadly to slugs, snails, dogs, birds and small children. DON'T USE IT!

Slugs hate coffee. If you want to use it, ask a local restaurant or expresso stand if you can have their used grounds. Soak in water then strain out the grounds and use a watering can to administer to slug lurking areas. It doesn't need to be full-strength coffee to do the job, weaker is fine. Scatter the used coffee grounds around your important plants or as perimeter control.

If my chickens are any indication, chickens aren't really fond of large slugs (they make their beaks sticky), but they will eat the little pear slugs.

But you have to stick with the program. Slugs can live TWO YEARS without eating, and they can work their way a couple of inches under ground.

They say patience is a virtue. I should try it someday.

Sue

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I didn't realise that most Oz slugs are feral.
    I have long tolerated the leopard slug in the belief that they eat dead vegetable matter (and cat food)
    I now have some huge monsters.

[​IMG]
    https://www.hortjournal.com.au/backissuedisplay.php?issue=August2009
    Page two at
    https://www.hortjournal.com.au/backissuedisplay.php?issue=August2009
    See the bit about the damp sack

Beer works well IF you set it up properly, change it every day and are especially vigilant on damp nights.

One organic garden magazine I read suggested asking for the contents of the 'slops tray' at pubs or clubs. There is supposed to be a dye in the tray to prevent the slops being sold. However you could get an unwelcome reputation if you started wandering around asking Publicans for their beer slops. Then again, its a Classic Perme. Principle--using what others throw away--good luck!

9. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day eloise,

do you do your evening torch light safaris and squash 'em or throw them in hot water? same for early morning before the sun hits the garden. or you could make hidy holes for them laying pieces of wall cladding or cardboard they will hide under there and each day you can collect them, same using poly pipe painted black insite with one end blocked off they will want to hide in there.

also we have had good success using very strong el cheepo coffee sprayed around the base of the plants works particularly well with the young of those cigar shaped little blighters, needs continual application especially after rain. the use of sawdust on the rows between the beds will help stop them migrating from bed to bed keep the sawdust raked loose. keep the beer traps going perserverance of all of the above will put you in the winning seat.

with native slugs i don't think many gardeners are going to have them they have been desimated in suburbia there is a hard shelled small on that is supposed to eat the others of course, but if you had it you would ahve to trust in it doing its work and when you use predators they won't eat out thier food source but keep it to a level so you are still going to get some plant damage, we used to get that native slug whittish colour looks triffid like.

len

10. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

11. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    We find that slugs line up with orange eating season and put the halves of peel left from juicing inverted in the garden. The slugs seem to love going there and we just collect them for the chooks and ducks.

12. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

this one cracks me up because it's eternally free!! They won't go over copper, and I think Australia has copper coins. Ours are pennies. Glue them to sticks as long as you want to make them, 2 meters works, lay the penny strips on either side of the plants. You can glue to them collars of cardboard or any shape you want. they won't cross over. Then when the pennies start to corrode, take them to the bank and ask for new coins!! muhahahaha :)

13. karla_brouwer

karla_brouwer New Member

If you can't beat them, eat them.
    In France they say slugs is just less work then snails.

14. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

OMG! it's a slug invasion!

This seasonal conditions have conspired to create an explosion of very young slugs. I would have to run a coffee lounge and a juice hut to keep up with all of them.

This is going to require some serious diligence I think...

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Or more ducks.

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I invite the country of France to my property for Slugfest 2011 then. They can eat as much as they like. :D

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

My neglected aquaponics beds are full of them and kinda hard to get rid of from there....

18. TheDirtSurgeon

TheDirtSurgeon Junior Member

I'm thrilled I can still add something to this after two pages.

Sand -- coarse, sharp sand -- can make a barrier that slugs and snails won't cross.

19. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Beer traps work well; though they have to be placed so it is easy for the slugs to get into them and have to be replaced every day or two. I have used a small can and collected up to 25 snails and 25 slugs from one night
    I have seen a bottle trap described where a bottle is placed on its side at a 45 degree angle and the beer in the bottom. This may last a bit longer than an open-to-the-rain tin can

It is said that some slugs do not eat growing vegetables only decaying vegetable matter matter (a "detrivore" eg? leopard slug) Yet I am not convinced of this, yet.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As previously mentioned you do not have a slug problem just a shortage of ducks problem.

20. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Um isnt that a picture of the Tiger slug?
    Its supposed to be one of the good guys and eats other slugs and snails.