slaughtering and butchering animals

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by pebble, May 1, 2011.

1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

rabbits: a karate chop to back of head is really quick i guess the same would work for guinea pigs
    i assume this severes the spine at base of neck
    iv seen halal killing of sheep at abittours they stun them ,cut the throat and break the neck at the same moment (i believe the blessing is good insurance and respect to the critter)
    i believe they dont break the neck with kosher kill but im not sure

2. jjwebb123

jjwebb123 Junior Member

Im am only new to this forum,but this thread caught my attention.Firstly it sounds quite normal,but what do you use guinea pigs for ? can you eat them?
    secondly,living on a farm most of my life, i have experienced my fair share of slaughtering.Chickens,goats,cattle,pigs,guinea fouls,and recently camel.I know,at times it is hard to control your emotions.but you must always look at,why you are doing it.For example,i recently was given two pigs.from the day i got them i knew that they were going to be bacon and pork chops.I love pigs i think they are a marvelous animals and pets.but at the same time,i understand that we are killing them,to feed us and supply us with pork for several months.thus saving us money.You cant stop emotions it is natural.Alot of what garnede has said,is what i was going to say.dont stress,love you animals and respect and understand their fate.~Peace out~

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    [video=youtube;A0BTctUfPvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BTctUfPvI[/video]

5. Guineagrower

Guineagrower New Member

Pebble
    The act of slaughtering guinea pigs that you have personally raised and nurtured requires one to treat the pig with respect and kindness.
    All the guinea pigs that you raised should be handled repeatedly so that they are used to being picked up and handled - this ensures that they are not stressed.
    The best method to slaughter a guinea pig is first pick up the pig and calm it down - then place a cloth over it,s head - keep the pig calm and also calm yourself down.
    The next step is to use a small hammer and hit the pig on the top of the head to stun the animal.
    Once stunned quickly cut the animals throat and hang it up upside down to allow the blood to drain.
    This whole process can be quite stressful for a person who has not approached the act in the right frame of mind.
    The pig has to be treated respectfully and the whole process undertaken with a calm mind.
    The rest of the process of skinning is the same as for rabbits.
    Find someone locally who can show you how to skin rabbits and get some practice before trying your skills on a guinea pig.
    Guinea pigs are roughly the size of a half grown rabbit (if grown properly).

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks for putting the video up PP. That's Frank and Elisabeth Fekonia. Frank passed away a few months ago. (No - Elisabeth didn't hit him on the back of the head with a spanner.) Nice to see him immortalized.

7. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Yes - I heard about Franks demise just yesterday. It is real "end of an era" stuff. It was inspiration by Frank and Elizabeth that helped us with the model for Purple Pear and skills for living workshops. I have never met Elizabeth but would like to one day. I may enrol in a Tempe workshop

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Let me know when you do and I'll come too! Have done her seed savers one and the cheese making one. She's a great teacher.

9. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

10. Don Hansford

Don Hansford Junior Member

SWMBO did a cheese making class with Elizabeth, and thoroughly enjoyed it. She would recommend it to anyone.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

id like to swap a sheep.\lamb for a bunch of guinea pigs
    any takers>?