Sky Burials - Is it practiced anywhere outside Tibet and India? Could Australia?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Lumbuck Thornton, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

What about goanna's. I read on the internet one was observed catching and eating a small kangaroo. It appears local eagles are very territorial.
    Might have some difficulty containing the goanna if the food source ever dropped off. I suppose the other alternative is crocodiles in the warmer parts !

2. pierre

pierre Junior Member

My green burial wish

I want to be buried, in the foetal position, in a serene woodland with an acorn stuck up my anus.

There it is in writing now, me missus is going to starve me to death for this public declaration. Right-o, better get searching for that acorn then... :rofl:

ciao, Pierre

3. outcast

outcast Junior Member

4. Swinburne Wee Jasper

Swinburne Wee Jasper New Member

sky burials

Health departments would allow it nor would the police.:n:

5. Callum EHO

Callum EHO Junior Member

Thats what was originally the case with legality greywater diversion!
    I know its a long shot but somehow we have to return to earth at some stage and owe it to the other species !

6. Rebekah Copas

Rebekah Copas New Member

Having just posted about how the flow of mana through the elements of fire Earth water wood and air, requires us to be preventing the wood element from being burned up with fire, it we are to dream enough of trees, to as to find ready motivation for planting trees and reforesting Earth. So no more burning up wooden caskets, right?

The vultures are the best way for managing the flows through mana, and here in Australia, I'd go a croc! (And from within its belly, I could make it lay its eggs where they'll get dug up, and eaten by the birds that way!!)??

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

The amzing thing is, why do US and other (?) funeral directors embalm all the time with formaldehyde?
    It is toxic, makes you indigestible to worms and probably won't do much about preserving you for prosterity either.

Natural burial
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_burial

8. Michaelangelica

The amazing thing is, why do US and other (?) funeral directors embalm all the time with formaldehyde?
    It is toxic, makes you indigestible to worms and probably won't do much about preserving you for prosterity either.

Natural burial
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_burial

9. Michaelangelica

Artist Jae Rhim Lee thinks we’re going about death all wrong. We dress up our deceased loved ones in their favorite outfits (or ours), embalm them with chemicals like formaldehyde (which the US Department of Health and Human Services recently upgraded from a probable carcinogen to a known carcinogen), and put them in a box (with a grave liner) before putting them in the ground. All of these things aim “to preserve the body and protect it from the environment, with the idea that decomposition is something to be avoided,” Lee says. “And it’s a losing battle. Funeral directors will claim that the body will be preserved, and of course it’s not true.”

Lee says she suspects that modern, Western burial ritual is really just a way to distance ourselves from death—and thus our own mortality. She suggests that we should embrace decomposition and has launched the Infinity Burial Project as a way to encourage and accelerate the process. Lee, who did her graduate work in the visual arts program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she maintains an independent research fellowship, is developing a mushroom strain that is specifically trained to digest the tissues of the human body. She’s even designed a prototype of a burial suit that can be seeded with the mushroom’s spores. . . . .
    https://the-scientist.com/2011/09/09/man-eating-mushrooms/

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Make sure its a truffle infused acorn.

11. Michaelangelica

12. Michaelangelica

You don't find many designers working in the funeral business thinking about more creative ways for you to leave this world (and maybe they should be). However, the product designer Gerard Moline has combined the romantic notion of life after death with an eco solution to the dirty business of the actual, you know, transition.

His Bios Urn is a biodegradable urn made from coconut shell, compacted peat and cellulose and inside it contains the seed of a tree. Once your remains have been placed into the urn, it can be planted and then the seed germinates and begins to grow. You even have the choice to pick the type of plant you would like to become, depending on what kind of planting space you prefer.

https://bigthink.com/ideas/38299

13. Lumbuck Thornton

See my proposed logo in my personal profile album

Lumbuck Thornton

Attached Files:

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

My wife & I feel, well, to quote her..."That is fucken awesome! You become part of another being directly!"

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Just bumping this up as it seemed appropriate to revive.

16. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I plan on building my own coffin, having the top removed before burial so it can be backfilled too, and then having a tree planted on top of me. No chemicals, no cremation. I've yet to settle on the species of tree though. Not sure if I want something symbolic or long lived. I'll probably choose a nut species simply because of the possibility of jokes about eating the nuts.

17. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    My guy and I have differing opinions on this...

He wants to be buried as is on the property, in a big hole (screw the box, he says)

Whereas (at the moment, I'm only young!) I'd probably prefer to be cremated first - then you can use me as pot-ash on the garden. (Otherwise I'd probably do the same - chuck me in the ground and put a tree on me)

18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    oh no, eco is starting to raise zombies. protect thy brainz! *nom nom!*

19. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Go grab your tin foil hat songbird. That'll confuse them….

20. Lumbuck Thornton

Gone of the sky burials now and have moved onto my thread of "Biogas Powered Cremation” where you get turned into biogas and the gas can be used to help people who want to be cremated with responsibly sourced renewable gas - and pay accordingly!