skilled earthworks supv seeks o/s placement

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Paul Kean -Ringo-, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Paul Kean -Ringo- Junior Member

Hi I’m Paul Kean {Ringo}. I’m currently studying Cert 4 in Permaculture Design at the “Permaforest Trust” in Australia and I possess 20 years combined earthworks supervision/heavy equipment operation and training. This includes: dam building, civil earthworks, mining and mining rehabilitation. In 2000 I completed a Permaculture Design Course and am now furthering my education and gaining skills to enable me to teach all aspects of Permaculture design. My other skills include organic agriculture, animal husbandry, composting, seed saving, and rock wall building. I’m an outgoing and enthusiastic person whose goal is to offer my skills where they can benefit people and the Earth the most, and am looking to gain experience working in the third world on Permaculture projects, the next phase of my life.
    From Dec 10th untill Feb 28th I have a break from study and would like to make myself available to any project which will benefit from my extensive skills and experience. My resume and references are available on request.
    Thanks for your time, Paul.

2. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

G'day Paul,

Yep, you can come to my place and build me a small dam and some rock walls please......are you any good at capeweed eradication??? :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, good luck with your course, the summer break and the next exciting phase of your life. :) Maybe Darren will know of a project, or two, for you to get your teeth into...

3. Paul Kean -Ringo-

thanks Tullymoore,gee this system is quick.I appreciate any advice and info you can offer.I can fund my travel and am very well travelled and very spontaneous.Thanks again.Paul

4. ~Tullymoor~

If we keep this bumped up someone's sure to see it....maybe email Darren? He posts as permaculture.biz, he will know of something. He's at the Bendigo PDC this weekend I think.
    Or, what about Belize? (there's BIG spidies there :lol: ) Check out Christopher's posts.....he's a legend and has a residential course coming up that suits your timetable I think. Maybe he could do with a spare pair of hands while all the students are there?? He wants to set up an aquaponics system....
    Steve, who's on well-earned holidays for another week I think, has heaps of jobs he could do with a hand with at Bega, NSW.....fire? weed and tree planting, propogation for the market stall/tree nursery, and a leaky dam too I think, which may be up your alley....
    Frosty is in a wheelchair due to chemical poisoning, her dear husband is flat out like a lizard drinking with jobs on the farm and caring for Frosty....I know they have water issues/dam with algae, fencing needs, solar stuff needed , windmills, aquaponics, goat milking issues....
    So, when I think about it, I can think of quite a few really great things you could do for some really great people.....never mind the third world....we got some really worthy and worthwhile projects right here in our own backyard. (I mean no offence to anyone working overseas)
    Post again over in general chat as well....more traffic there :D

5. ~Tullymoor~

BUT, you DID say "overseas" so, just ignore me LOL, I got carried away 'cos I know lots of us are battling with not enough time/hands/money/skills/energy etc etc.

6. ~Tullymoor~

7. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Thanks Tullymoore,
    you are certainly a wealth of info.I will endevour to contact these people to either give a hand or to swap ideas.
    I realise there are some great people here in Oz that need a hand but at the moment I am guided to help those that are far less fortunate than we are in this country.My aim is to get to some of these underdeveloped countries before they get to developed and can't make the transition after relience of ever depleting fossil fuel reserves.People are starving all over the world and hopefully I can help to redesign the landscape to make water available and educate people how to use and store this resourse.
    Ringo be my nicknameo due to several peircings.
    Thanks again Ringo.

8. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day Ringo,

Its taken me 12 years to break into overseas work, with a similar, background. That said I never really pushed myself to network out the possibilities, which you are obviously keen to do and good on you for doing so. You should perhaps try the different aid/ngo organisations for a start and see what potential there is there. Otherwise email the PRI I get your name down and you never know.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for the ticket (that is if you are looking for paid work and not going to shoot off os on a voluntary basis), you could start working round the traps as a designer consultant/developer/operator. There is always plenty of work for those who are canny enough, especially if you can actually combine design with development. Now you have the APT training you should be able to handle the former and the latter, well that's been your bread and butter for the last 20 years.

For myself, well I have myself and the projects on the horizon are not needing anybody else in my capacity. As for earthmovers I tend to use local earthmovers for obvious reasons. In my overseas project we have ostensibly completed the earthworks and are now setting out the planting. The go from the donors is typically to build local capacity which means a person like yourself would be typically in a designer/project management/training position as opposed to 10hrs a day on the machines.

Anyway good luck and feel free to correspond with me further.

Ciao Darren Doherty

9. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Hey Darren,

thanks for your advice and info.I have heard about your work and am honoured that you have replied.I will be in touch via e-mail.

10. ~Tullymoor~

I just *knew* you were a good bloke Ringo, that was a really lovely thing to say :)

Tully is happy :)

11. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Me too Ringo....(always loved Ringo)..if you decide to do any short stay work here in Aus can offer board and small wage....have lots of unused ground to develop as well as my 5acs around the house.
    Cathy

12. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Thanks Tullymoor for the kind words.

Hi Cathy,thanks for the interest.I would like to know more about your proposal.You can contact me via e-mail:[email protected]
    If you have an aerial photo,can you e-mail it to me.
    thanks,Ringo

13. Paul Kean -Ringo-

thanks everyone

Hi to everyone who replied to my situation. I would just like to thank all for the info that was shared and to give an update on my progress.

Through much time on the internet and making heaps of contacts I have found a placement in Aceh,Indonesia.I leave next week for Bali and then to Banda Aceh where I will meet with a local ngo I.D.E.P(Indonesian Department of Education of Permaculture).They are set up and are doing VDC's(Village Development Course)and I will be volunteering and hopefully get my hands dirty on some teaching as well.

Steve Cran is heading the operation and I am excited to be working with him.He is doing some pretty amazing stuff there after the devastation earlier this year.

I receintly completed the C.O.W with Robyn Francis and the C.A.L.F with Robin Clayfield in A.P.T and am greatful to have attended with two great fascilitators in education and feel ready to use the skills taught.Thanks ladies.

I was also very fortunate to have attended the course with some other great permaculturists and was greatly inspired by them.The knowledge,experience and information exchanged was truely amazing.

If anyone wishes to know more of what I am doing in Aceh feel free to contact me and I will pass on contact details and info as soon as I can.

Ringo

[email protected][/u]

14. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Just like to concur with Ringo that the COW & CALF @ Djanbung was a great success. Very intensive and very professionally led by Robyn and Robin.

Getting to know Ringo @ the course was a lot of fun and its always great to put a face to a name! Good luck in Aceh and keep us all up to date on the happenings there.

Ciao Darren Doherty

15. ~Tullymoor~

Way to go Ringo! Good luck and have fun!
    Please keep us posted as to what you're up to.

16. Paul Kean -Ringo-

Tsunami relief in Aceh

Hi all,

Ringo here and I’m here in Aceh. About a month ago I contacted Steve Cran after reading about the Green Hand Field School on IDEP’s web site. I was studying permaculture in Australia under the new APT(Accredited Permaculture Training)system and was looking for a placement during a three month study break from Dec 2005-Feb 2006 where I was able to further my studies and gain practical on the ground experience in developing countries. It took a while to make contact due to the remote nature of the project Steve is managing but once he read about my skills he gave me a green light to come and join his team of field trainers as a volunteer. Learning to teach permaculture is my goal and to come somewhere that is at it’s grassroots level of development is a great opportunity to gain the skills that I require. Once I got the go ahead I was in Aceh with-in a week.

The first thing that struck me in Indonesia is the people and how friendly and inviting they are. I had initial thoughts of hostilities toward westerners through media in Australia and events like the bombing of the Sari Club in Kuta and the Australian Embasy in Jakarta. These thoughts were soon dismissed once I interacted with people and I found that they will bend over backwards to help in any way possible.

Anyway, IDEP sorted out my flight from Denpasar to Banda Aceh which cost 2,500,000Rp($320.00AUD).Last minute bookings can be a bit expensive but I wanted to get to the field asap. Archie takes care of flight bookings and she a did a great job fitting into such a tight schedule running all over Bali to get things sorted.

Flying into Banda Aceh and seeing the first signs of tsunami devestation was truly a verv moving experience. Reconstruction is well underway after 12 months with a heap of NGO’s doing relief work all over Aceh. Houses are going up fairly quickly but two real problems are that the houses are being made from bricks and cement in the same places that houses were before the tsunami or right along the edges of new roads, and that any timber being used comes from illegal logging operations that a lot of aid organizations are indirectly supporting. Instead of recycling timber from the tsunami zone for building the locals were given cash for work to clean up some areas and burn whole trees wiped out by the tsunami.

Once I got to Green Hand HQ at Lamsujin everybody made me feel very much at home and were proud to offer me a meal of spaghetti which apparently was a good change from the usual deep fried dishes. Either way I was happy to get something in my belly after traveling all day.

First impressions of the work already done on the project were of amazement. Gardens everywhere and a classroom, shed, toilet block and a house under construction. Steve gave me a quick run down on what is wanting to be achieved in for the project and the local people and I think that all is very achievable seeing what has already been done. The work is done by students that are now being trained to be trainers and even though they are making mistakes in some areas they are also learning from those mistakes.

Steve gives positive criticism in the areas of misunderstanding and once he explains the appropriate method I could see the comprehension hitting the students like a light bulb being turned on and then with nodding of agreeance by all.

Since I have been here we have done a Levi bank around a small fish fond to stop the creek flooding the sewage system. Machines can be hired locally and there just happened to be a 20 tonne excavator working on a nearby dam construction. We got it for 300,000Rp an hour and the job lasted about an hour. I gave direction on the job as I have 20 years earthmoving experience and Afnan, one of the trainees, translated for me. As in earthworks sign language always prevails and the operator and I were speaking the the same language. The job turned out really well and we have since planted bananas, cassava, taro and maringgy to stabilize it as a measure against flooding. In time we will get a buffalo or two in the fish fond to seal it with their manure.

Another great thing the trainees are learning is construction. One product that can be found over here is a triplex made from palm fronds. At Green Hand they call it Ali Triplex after one of the students, Ali, who is a real go-getter and loves putting his hands to building. Anyway, using this triplex and skam (rice husks that would normally be washed down the river), clay and cement(Cran Skam) we are building walls and floors for houses, filling wheel barrow tyres so we don’t get punctures anymore and the list could go on. It is very multi functional and we will be testing ourselves on what else we can use it for.

The students are all very keen to be learning permaculture and there are signs of some potential leaders amongst then. Some have taken on the principles well and with the intensive 3 month training they are doing at the moment they will be able to teach confidently and go out to their own villages and start projects of their own with the support of Green Hand through a network system. It’s great to be a part of moulding these individuals to become aware of their role to spread permaculture and help the people of Aceh to help themselves.

I got my first opportunity to do some training the other day when Steve wet to Banda Aceh to get supplies and use the internet. A nursery has been designed for the property using the dimensions of a hexagon. The task was to find a central point in the area we wanted to use and then using a compass find the structure spacings to fit into the design criteria. The students were all very keen to use the compass as many had not seen one before and when they got confused with working out the angles one student used the pythagarous method to get right angles of the structure. This demonstrated to me the ability of the problem solving Steve has been instilling in to them. We had fun doing the exercise and we all learnt something new and useful.

Ringo

17. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Sounds great Ringo, thanks for letting us know about how things are progressing over there. Sounds exactly like what you were looking for...

Love the idea of sealing the fish pond with buffalo manure, where as over here we'de be trucking in clay or using expensive liners.. One question. What is the triplex your talking about, is it woven palm fronds?

Keep up the good work mate.
    Joel

18. Paul Kean -Ringo-

hi Joel,

yeh, the stuff is the skin of the palm branch sliced off then woven in a checker board fashion. Its extremely strong and long wearing and even stronnger when rendered with clay and skam(rice husk)

Ringo

19. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

ringo in Aceh

:eek: Great to see what you have been up to Ringo...Kathleen here from the far south coast....Have made it back home after the year at Djanbung....are you still o/s? Hope all's well. Will post more info soon.

Cheers Kathleen