sites to avoid

Discussion in 'General chat' started by paradisi, Aug 9, 2008.

1. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Re: sites to avoid

Sometimes it's best just to ignore the smuggies. I love to watch 'Gardening Australia' on TV, and most of the presenters are great, but you encounter the occasional 'Lady Bountiful' type, and also garden design advice is sometimes given that is way out of my financial reach. My husband can't see beyond the 'smuggies' and the program annoys him, so I often just avoid watching it. However, when I do watch it, I simply filter out what I don't like, and enjoy the rest. Some people can do that, some can't. Nobody's fault really, we are all different.

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

isnt it obious to everyone that Elliceh is only here to defend her precious mates at ALS and has no interest in this site

if we were like ALS someone would ban her :lol: :lol:

frosty

3. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Seems there is no reasoning with you Paradisi, should have known really.

Enjoy the seeds. I tried to get catnip and cat grass as a joke but couldn't find any seeds for them. :finga: Everyone misses all the news from Dicky Beach too. But.... we'll press on I suppose. :lol: Have a nice life :butthead:

4. Max E

Max E Junior Member

I think the site moderators should put this entire thread in the compost bin, the idea of sites to avoid seemed ok at the start but it has not been about scam sites etc, its been about a personal grudge.
    It does not do a thing for attracting new members to the site, it just makes it look like a soapbox for personal use rather than a forum about permaculture.

Regards

Max

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

the personal grudge (or one of them) just quit the arguement - see the post above yours.

and as for suggesting censoring sites - that's what started the problem on als - - - and this has been mentioned several times throughout the thread

Max E said "It does not do a thing for attracting new members to the site, " since the topic started 7 pages of new members have signed up. The 7 pages of new members before that took 6 or 7 months to fill

there's no way of knowing if this had anything at all to do with new members. but we have got new members.

here's a thoughty - the mods and owners make a quicky manifesto for the site so that the new owners can comment, argue, agree with it?? something simople, a few lines, something to aim for...

6. Max E

Max E Junior Member

As soon as a thread starts attacking people personally rather than questioning their point of veiw i think it should be pulled,
    If you want something to aim for try "Permaculture based threads",

Regards

Max

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Care2 -You might avoid this site but you shouldn't.

I have had arguments with cat lovers on Care2 who really don't understand Australia's problems with feral animals.
    Yanks can't see why the Oz feral cats can't be neutered and re-released into the bush.[​IMG]
    Also arguments re eating "endangered" kangaroos
    Also on sheep crutching. No-one who has seen a sheep eaten alive by maggots would object to crutching. Probably not much more painful than human circumcision and preferable to being eaten alive
    Despite my arguments and blocks from PETA types I have found the admin. of Care2 remarkably tolerant of me and my opinions. Opinions that are often contrary to vegetarian and/or fanatical animal liberation ideas. (eg recipes for kangaroo etc ;) )
    If you join, I would avoid having too many "friends" as they just spam you with their posts/ideas/agenda.

I do like their news service as it often gives me interesting environmental, social and political news that I see no-where else.
    While the vegetarian /Animal Lib thing might put people off joing I think it is worthwhile
    (I think vegetarianism is best for the planet and its people- but not for me at the moment)
    A few more Ozzies on the site, for protection & more S. hemisphere news, would be nice.

It is a busy site but not overwhelmingly so like DIGG
    SEE
    https://www.care2.com/news/
    Environment news
    https://www.care2.com/news/category/environment
    Green lifestyle (? the Yank version)
    https://www.care2.com/news/category/green

You can also send electronic Christmas cards from the site if you wish. Some are quite funny.(and/ or serious is that is your bag)

8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Dead set - I've gotta bite my tongue. Some of the generalisations that have been made in this thread are amazing. Let me just say this - if you judge others then expect to be judged yourself. This thread adds nothing of value - exept maybe in relation to posts which are off the topic of the thread (I too see little value in cats - but then that's just my opinion).

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

and here was me about to start a new cat thread .... :shock:

I was going to ask the forum what they thought about the practise of hanging dead cats off road signs to scare wildlife off the road verges and reduce the horrendous toll that motor cars cause to our native flora.

It was either that or exploring the concept of using liquified mashed cats [and a suitable surfactant] as a deterrent spray around known bird nesting sites.

Cheers,

ho-hum

10. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

contact the ACT government - - google will find the memebrs and I believe there's a greeny as the speaker???

they trialled a sonic scare device along the roads in tuggernanong - - during the 90's - - they scare roos off the roads and stop cars getting damaged. the big hullaballoo about roo culling in the ACT is more about damage to commodores and falcons than it is to do with the welfare of the animals.

maybe with abit of knowledge you can get your local council to fund a "trial" near your place??

11. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I can't talk for the owners of this site.
    For me this is a place to share knowledge, help,advice and even plants among those with an interest in Useful Plants (IMHO Most plants) and those with an interest in the planet ecology, animals,and the environment.
    I am a "herbarist". defined by the American Herb Association as one who is interested in the folklore, history, poetry, literature, archaeology, religions use, medicinal use, food and flavouring use of plants. This forum is about as close as the Internet gets to "herbarist"

i especially like PFs' because it seems to have started in Australia where I am from.
    I guess I have always been a Permaculturalist but never knew it.
    I am not into designing elaborate plans for a "permanent" agriculture.
    I am just trying to find a spot where my second fig tree will grow and how many Camellias (sasaunqua -not even interesting ones!) I can reef out of my newly purchased suburban garden.

12. Tripper

Tripper New Member

HI everyone,

I would have to agree about the Aussies living Simply website.
    At first glance it seems well constructed and usefull site it's only when you try to dissagree or questions peoples ideas or ask for explanations you get ban or booted. I was booted for little more than having an opinion.

I to started a cat thread on www.earthgarden.com.au but insted of making it a obviouse anti cat thread i just asked how many people owned a cat and after 30 something replys i discover most people seemed to understand why i asked. I just don't understand why people who can not look after themselfs keep cat or dogs for that matter and usually more than one animal.

Anyways there's a nice site https://www.seedtherevolution.com/forums it's just started up and it's all Australian and is based in the Fraser coast Queensland.

13. sampsms

sampsms Junior Member

Re: sites to avoid-

What a shame to even have a negative thread like this..
    I'll have to go there now , just to see.
    Every one has something to contribute and even really nasty people, have a positive side.
    Maybe being nasty about a site is a way of promoting it...just wondering.
    My thoughts are learn from everywhere, that way you can sort the best from the chaff.. and heck, even chaff has its usefullness.. like great for compost and even carbon sequestration..