Sick Paw Paw

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by permup, Aug 30, 2009.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

Does anyone know why my 2 Paw Paw trees are dying? Their leaves are curling, turning yellow and dying. I think they're getting enough water, the soil drains well etc. Any thoughts?

2. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

Re: Sick Paw Paw

They are just having a rest,give them a ring of well rotted manure mixed with some worm casts and a good drink of water re apply mulch they will re invigourate in their own good time.
    :D

3. buff orpington

buff orpington Junior Member

if its just the bottom leaves then thats ok, paw paws like food but more alkaline based rather than manure, if your in the northern beaches area how exposed are they to salt sheer, but yeah the leaves can die back naturally

4. permup

permup Junior Member

No, unfortunately it's all the leaves. I don't get any salt. Interesting about the manure-base, which is what I'm using. Thanks for the tip.

5. ppp

ppp Junior Member

my limited experience with paw paws is that they love lots of water and manure (we stored a bag of horse manure under each tree)

but also that they need to be treated more like vegetables than a tree.. they seem to die for no reason some times. Last garden, I just planted lots from seedlings that grew from shop-bought seeds and most did well, while some just gave up and died.

6. Batz

Batz Junior Member

They drop their leaves during a cold spell, they hate winter, as the weather warms give them a feed, I use that organic stuff that's just organic lifter I think.
    The new fruit will burn as the weather warms, this is until the leaves grow back that is. I'm throwing out fruit ATM, feeding chooks and 4 goats all the same.

I have 300 trees and have been selling fruit all year, for a few months each year I struggle to supply the shops.Liquid fertilizer like seasol or your own mix really help at this time as well.

Batz

7. ppp

ppp Junior Member

sounds great batz! where abouts are you? do you grow other things as well? got any pics to share? would love to see some real productivity going on..

8. Batz

Batz Junior Member

I'm in Kin Kin, I don't grow anything else for sale (just some free range eggs) and then our own food. The Paw Paws where just an experiment, I have to wonder if the work involved is really worth the effort of farming for the markets. Luckily we enjoy it.
    Perhaps I should take a few pics.

Batz

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hi there,

Maybe with your pawpaws the soil may have got too cold. Even though the temperature is rising, to move actual soil temperatures takes a fair while and they may just be getting cold feet. I havent lived in Sydney but I believe you are at the far southern range for successful pawpaw growing and then need a microclimate. If they are mulched, remove the mulch for the time being, let the soil warm, and see if that helps.

I live in the tropical NT and pawpaw grow freely unless stressed by grass which they dont like. Soil temps are not an issue but too much N can set them back in our local conditions. Here with too much N the leaves yellow and it forces the plant. It is all about horses for courses.

Hope this helps,

cheers,
    ho-hum