Sick Drake

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by permup, Aug 7, 2010.

1. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi everyone,

My drake has come down with a bit of a problem. He has an enlarged and rigid abdomen, and can hardly walk. He spends most of his time laying down now.

I took him to the vet last weekend, and she said it might be constipation and gave him some laxitive, which hasn't worked.

I've read that it might be hardware disease (eating something metal which blocks him up and toxifies him) but without an xray and surgery, there is no cure. I'm not going to have a duck anethetised and operated on.

To be honest, I didn't think he would last this long, but he is still alive and eating well.

Does anyone have any suggestions apart from the obvious?

Paula.

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

When you say the laxative didn't work, do you mean he continued shitting and continues being ill?

Perhaps you should urgently consult a poultry vet. You must be able to find one by phone. I'd probably try phoning the DPI to get hooked up with a farm vet, if you are in oz which i vaguely think you are.

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi permup,
    I wish I had some helpful information for you, but I don't.
    However the subject of your post coincides with something I read last night that caused me to smile (because I saw myself in it ... having in the past spent big $$ on vet bills for farm critters that people with more brains & less money would have euthanized).
    I hope you get a smile from it too ... & you never know, something in it may be relevant to your situation.
    Best of luck with the duck.

https://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=822

4. permup

permup Junior Member

Thanks for all of your well-wishes. Unfortunately we had to euthenase Mr C yesterday (He was a beautiful Khaki Campbell). He was in so much pain, and there was no way he was going to get any better. It broke my heart to do it - he has been a member of the family for 5 years now. I left the dead drake with Mrs C for a little while before burying him but she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong at the time. Unfortunately she has been calling for him all morning this morning. Her grieving is so sad and I don't know if there is anything I can do. Does anyone know how long it is likely to last? If I get her another drake is she likely to accept him?

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I'm sorry it turned out that way permup. It always surprises me how attached I get to my critters & how much it hurts when they meet an untimely end. I don't know how long ducks grieve. I've never heard that Campbells mate for life & even species that do will usually find another mate eventually if theirs dies. You could always get another duck for company for her if you were worried.

6. permup

permup Junior Member

Hi Everyone. Mrs C has been grieving fairly solidly for 4 days now. She calls out incessantly at times for Mr C and it breaks my heart. Does anybody know how long this will go on for? I'm bound to get a complaint to the council from a peed off neighbour (believe me it doesn't take much). I don't want to get another drake or duck, as while they are lovely, they are not productive (Mrs C doesn't lay any longer) and we don't like duck eggs much anyway. I think my next step will be to find someone who has ducks who would be happy to have her join the mob (or is that a flock?). I love her dearly and don't really want to give her away, as you never can tell if someone is just taking her in order to have Sunday roast.

Another thought is to take her out to Narrabeen Lake, where there must be about 30 ducks and geese that have obviously been dumped over time, as they are not natives. People come down to feed them all the time, and they all roam around freely and have a lovely life. I don't like the idea, as I believe that if they breed with natives it renders the young flightless and its not ideal as they become easy prey for predators. Still, the problem already seems to exist.

Ideas/suggestions?

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I"d be happy to have her join my mob but we live so far away i think. Why don't you consult your local permie groups or advertise in nearby small towns where people might have ducks.