1. William_Blakers

William_Blakers Junior Member

Hi all,
    I received three chickens (isa browns or Hylines I think) on Saturday night for free from a relative. On Sunday I saw one chook was very ill with a respiratory disease. I have isolated her from the other two. but my question is as these chickens were together for some period before i got them are the eggs safe to eat? the other two seem fine at the moment. But how long would I have to wait to see if they picked up an infection? And would a respiratory infection affect the eggs? i will not eat the eggs from the sick chook.

Thanks in advance

2. annette

annette Junior Member

See how the other two go for a couple of weeks. Sick chooks don't usually lay eggs anyway.

3. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Hi William, if a chook is very ill it is unlikely to lay any eggs in the first place (though it will again if it recovers). The most common respiratory diseases in chickens are infectious bronchitis and coryza. I've done much reading on these as both have made an appearance in my flock at some stage and I have never seen a reference to any issues regarding the patients' eggs (if any are laid at all during illness). However, if you treat the birds with proprietary meds such as antibiotics then there will be egg (and meat) withdrawal periods that must be observed and eggs must be disposed of for a while. There are alternative treatments, such as herbal teas, garlic and so on. I have had good success with propolis added to the drinking water for light infections but did have to resort to antibiotics once. Coryza tends to take about 10 days to infect all birds within a flock. If your other birds show no signs of illness in say two weeks they should be ok.