Setting up a permaculture site in SW Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by taththi, Apr 29, 2013.

1. taththi

taththi Junior Member

What advice would people give for helping scope out a permaculture site in Sri Lanka?

My wife's family has a decent former tea estate near Galle, I think around 2-3 acres on a slope. They are considering selling it (including a beautiful old estate house in need of repair) due to lack of younger family members willing to take it on, and the fact that it's no longer viable as a commercial estate having been divided up too small.

Rather than sell it, I proposed that it could become a permaculture site - providing training to local people, funding itself via training etc. The house could become part of the school or accommodation / kitchen etc.

Some thoughts I'd had on the matter:
    - it would keep the estate maintained and in the family
    - it would provide great educational resource to the local people who would really benefit from more sustainable farming knowledge
    - I am guessing being a non-profit enterprise it would avoid issues with corruption endemic in current Sri Lanka
    - it would see much better use of the land! including a sanctuary and corridor for local monkeys who're rapidly running out of trees
    - it would help forward the grand plan!

My wife's family are not too aware of Permaculture yet other than what I've shown or told, but for them to be keen it would need to be an option that did not involve too mcuh stress or risk on their part. They would be happy to have an organisation organise the plan around the site (if that's the way things usually go?) Please excuse my ignorance on this but I'm not too familar with how this sort of logistics goes on permaculture farms where you have a land-owner who's not actually too involved in the project (but is happy to delegate and lease the land for long term to see it flourish)

2. vdharmraj

vdharmraj Junior Member

Dear Taththi,

I have a permaculture friend in Srilanka who is looking for something that you are looking for. I am giving you his email ID and you may contact him on his email [email protected]
    I have also written to about this and emailed him. You many contact him to explore the possibility of developing this site. I would also be interested in visiting your site and would like to join hands in this venture. You can write to me on my email ID
    [email protected].

Venkatesh Dharmraj.

3. sionzivetz

sionzivetz New Member

Hi Thaththi,

I live in Mt. Lavinia and I have some experience with the things that you are requesting. My partner and I are also going to set up a permaculture (++) site in SL, in the hill country. It would be great to talk with you about your family property and the ideas that you have. I'd be happy to give you input and I also know quite a few people in SL who could be called in to advise on other aspects of agriculture and converting old tea land.

Send me a mail and we can get the discussion going. [email protected]

Hope to hear from you.

Sion