Seed saving

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by living simple, Sep 26, 2006.

1. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Hi all,

While i'm on a roll i thought i would pose the question about seed saving.

Can anyone recommend a really good book about this topic? I haven't searched the library or the internet yet, but thought i'd go straight to the experts! Vegetable seeds is what i'm interested in. I've planted a garden for the last couple years, but this year i thought i'd let some plants 'go to seed' for next years garden (instead of buying new seed each year!) - but alas i know nothing about collecting seeds!! Time to start researching again -

Help would be much appreciated . . .

Cheers
    Lyn

p.s
    So much to learn, so little time! : )

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Lyn :)

The Seed Savers' Handbook by Michel & Jude Fanton (1993) would have to be one of the best books I've ever read concerning this topic. It's prefaced by Bill Mollison and gives an in-depth account to saving the seeds of 117 vegetables, edible flowers and culinary herbs.

Cheerio, Mark.

3. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

Yeah a great read :)
    I'm not the most organised with labeling seeds and by the time next season comes, basil turns out as pak choi and tomatoes are chilli's.
    beans are a good one, i keep 4 colors, black is butter, brown is purple, white is green and spotty is mad.

Ben

4. living simple

living simple Junior Member

Seed saving

Thanks Mark, will definitely be looking at purchasing a copy while in town today! Exactly what i was after.

Ben, not too sure if i'll be very good at keeping everything organised either, but at least i can't have an excuse now for going to the nursery to buy seeds every year! I spend an absolute fortune in that place!!

Thanks guys,

Cheers
    Lyn