Seed savers group

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by heftzwecke, Dec 2, 2011.

1. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

Is someone involved in a local seed savers group?
    What are you doing? How often do you meet?
    Are you organized under the seed savers roof?

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Hmmm, another question... what about the people in these forums as one?

What about PRI-USA? could they do the same both in Hawai'i and on the mainland?

3. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

The seedsavers are usually organized in local groups (those of the "official" organization. However there have been some stories around the seedsavers lately. Any practical experience?

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Permaculture Noosa has a seed savers group - hosted by Elisabeth Fekonia. She teaches a seed saving workshop a couple of times a year, and regularly fronts the mike at meetings reminding us to bring in un-prepared material for the classes to deal with. The seeds are sold at meetings for $2 a packet. And you know that someone within driving distance has actually had success with that particular genetic stock.

5. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

I think one problem seed savers has is some seed savers themselves.
    it's pretty hard to grow 20 different tomato's or pumpkins and keep it all pure.
    the wrong seeds put into the cycle can stuff a whole variety up withing the seed saving group.

I think the best way to save seed is to just grow the one variety of that veg' and master it
    so 1 tomato variety, 1 pumpkin variety, one bean ect ect.
    yeah an organisation like this could support it's own network of seed savers.
    People could list what they would like to grow, save and contribute to the network.
    and in no time there would be a great collection available to all.
    I don't think there should be one for each country, best would be one in all in, balls n all!

dibs on red rocoto & san marzano!

6. FREE Permaculture

local seed savers are ok but the're not strong because they are just local.
    they've had years to get where they are but because it's not all one big thing, it's being held back.
    a permaculure seed swappers group would definately need to be international, it has to be different to what's already there,
    if your totally into locally produced seeds then go local, ok, but it be great if I could select seeds from growers worldwide
    that are part of an official permaculture seed swap group.

then when your growing the seed you can talk with the seed saver one on one about your plant, all in the forum, maybe each seedsaver could have a thread dedicated to their seed so if anyone wants some they reply in the thread.
    just some ideas anyway, nah it be good i reckon.

7. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

I recently joined SLOLA, Seed Library of Los Angeles https://slola.org/ for a local network in my new home area. Some basic education in the fundamentals of seed saving is required for those who wish to participate, so as to prevent saving of inferior seed.

Group of us over at Paul Wheaton's site have started swapping seeds just recently, which will probably offer less locally adapted varieties, but a wide range of permie plants. You can read the thread here: https://www.permies.com/t/11200/resources-seeds-plants-honey-consulting/Seed-swap-via-letter I just arrived home after a long trip to find a couple of seed envelopes in my mail! First thing I opened, my early christmas!

Seed saving, swapping and creating seed libraries are powerful acts. The multiplying power of seeds is unreal, and nothing beats putting seeds in people's hands and heads. Ad hoc swaps are great, and satisfying. But can we design a system for permie seed swapping and saving that will be self-maintaining or require minimal inputs over time? It would be a great thing to be able to leverage our efforts for maximum results.

Here's one format: one person (or perhaps one person in each bioregion, nation or continent?) volunteers to take the lead for a year. All participants send ALL their seeds to that person, along with their prioritized wish list, and a SASBE (self-addressed, stamped bubble envelope). The focalizer sorts the incoming seeds, and, within reason, does their reasonable best to fulfill wish lists. So, you send one envelope and you receive one envelope with, 15 - 30 varieties of seed, rather then many envelopes with 1-3 types of seeds each.

Perhaps 2 dollars is sent by each person as well so the focalizer can cover any minimal costs (mini-seed baggies?), maybe even enough to buy a nice plant at a nursery. Job rotates to someone else the next year, unless we stumble upon a saint, or maybe a community that can share the sorting and mailing tasks.

Following up on the swap, a list could be produced of unfulfilled wishes - then individuals could volunteer to order those seeds from a seed catalog, and grow them out for next year's seed swap. That way, if perennial wheat is desired by many, just one person can obtain it, and a year later we all have it.

You might also offer a "buy-in" option for newbies with no seeds - $7 and you get a damn good start on a garden, as long as you promise to save seed and participate next year.

To me, this is the best I can think of for the least effort and least investment of time and money for the best yield.

Feedback? Any other ideas?

8. FREE Permaculture

that sounds a lot like what's already hapening seed savers wise.
    they end up just being another commercial seed selling thing and selling memberships.
    that's all great but it's everywhere already.

it be a full time job for one person to handle all that and it's pointless to send seeds somewhere if they may not be of use to anyone at the time, seeds expire.

I was thinking more of a simpler method where everyone has somewhere to list their seeds/plants and as people want them, they send direct, just pay postage if it's a one way deal or no postage if your both sending seeds/plants to each other.

so all that's needed is an online middleman, a website, www.permasex.com? ;)
    you should register that domain yukki

9. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Junior Member

I agree with free P. Seed saving is quite an art and processing the saved seeds is only the last step. My impression so far is that people often are not very aware of cross pollination and the number of plants you must grow to keep a variety.
    The fact is that the seed savers hold a huge variety of seeds which is not offered commercially and which they don't sell to non-members either. If you want to have access to this stock, you must be a member, that means often that you run a group. Most knowledge about seed saving you can learn very well reading some books. So the reasons for meeting are only for swaping seeds, which may or may not be true to type.

10. livingwind

livingwind New Member