Sakon Nakhon, Thailand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Erich Sysak, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Erich Sysak

Erich Sysak New Member

Teacher, farmer
    Climate:
    Wet dry tropics
    Hello all,

I'm Erich, an American with Thai family. Have lived here 15 years now and have been working on our 3 acre farm about 5 years. Part time mostly, as I work teaching online and with a local university. I have an account at WWOOF Thailand:

https://wwoofthailand.com/profile/?mid=50242

Do not get many volunteers because we are deep in the Northeast, close to the border and far away from the tourist areas. But, this is a beautiful city and has many wanakaset farms and a small network of which I am the only foreigner. Pics and more details at WWOOF.

In my former life I wrote novels and have just recently felt the urge to write again, but this time about my experiences converting flooded, eroded, lifeless rice fields into a permaculture system...

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Erich and welcome,
    I'll need to start a WWOOF account to view your profile/photos ...
    Very interested to read your accounts of working with your community to build wanakaset systems. Will you be posting your adventures here?

Grace Pignatello and Erich Sysak like this.
  3. Erich Sysak

Erich Sysak New Member

Teacher, farmer
    Climate:
    Wet dry tropics
    A little at a time, yes. In the past I exclusively used the word, permaculture, out of respect for Mollison, but most Thais around here have never heard it. The King has a permaculture system taught and promoted at massive model farms they call either phasan phasom or New Theory. Wanakaset is close to agroforestry, although New Theory also teaches it. I guess the different names developed politically as well as technically. I spend a lot of time sewing them together as the principles are all basically the same....

Grace Pignatello likes this.