Safe Water Pipe Material

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by petal, Aug 3, 2013.

1. petal

petal Junior Member

Iam planning a rural home on rainwater and solar hot water.

Myunderstanding is that the solar system will need to use copper pipebecause of the high temperatures of the water. For the rest of thehouse pipes, (including hot water down stream of a temperaturecontrol value), and supply from the tank, various plastics areavailable, but I am concerned about the health risks.

Iassumed copper would be a good choice, except for the expense. However, acidic conditions, either from thesoil (if buried) or from the water, can cause corrosion, and tankwater tends to be acidic. Too much copper is toxic.

Fromthe tanks to house HDPE plastic is commonly used, and even town mainslines are changing over to this now. Is this safe?

Doesanyone have knowledge of what healthy options are available forhousehold water pipe material?

Cheers,
    Petal

2. Peter

Peter Junior Member

PEX pipe is the easiest and fastest. The good ones can take 10 bar. I don't know what is available in Oz now but if you get Unicor (German) or Accor (French) you can't go wrong.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day petal,

most rural people use drinking water grade poly pipe(has the blue stripe), ys for out flow from hot water you need copper, you could use copper all through, but poly allows for DIY versatility. all said and done what is there that is totally innert? food grade stainless steel(expensive) or baked enamel or glazed porcelain, not practical, we've lived a long time using blue poly, no third eye yet chuckle.

not sure acid in the soil would effect copper, our rain water is more to the alkaline side, i would discount these concerns.

the best healthy option is the free clean unadulterated rain water.

keep us informed

len

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

the pex people don't like showing their prices, i don't have time to dig for a price, but there are recommended distance between fittings eg.,. starting at 1 meter??

len

5. petal

petal Junior Member

Thanks Peter and Len for your thoughts.

Peter, I will see what I can find about PEX. Do you have experience with its reliability, and that of the fittings, long term?

Len, I assume the blue stripped poly is used to get the water to the house, then a smaller diameter, more flexible pipe type is used to get to the taps. Is this correct?
    What have you used in your homes?

i will keep you updated, but it will be a slow process.

Cheers,
    Petal

6. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Hi Petal,
    Pex will last longer than us. The fittings are brass which means it to will be there a long time.