Russia peak oil getting some good evidence

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by greeny, Jul 21, 2006.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

tezza, relax a second.

four weeks ago, the spam was hitting the board at a rate of over 100 a day and it was a full time job to deal with it. i was gettng most of it, but when i was sleeping it would sneak in.

Jimbob was the first member to ever offer to help out. so i gave him delete priviledges to deal with any spam he saw. that's all. i also gave chris delete ability for spam. i didn't ask them to go around deleting people's legitimate posts.

but after this, i don't think this will happen again, right guys? 8)

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I think Tezza, like me, is just peeved that he wasn't offered the delete button too. I mean, we have seniority over those other two bludgers, don't we?

3. murray

murray Junior Member

richard,

you make it sound like i go around handing out delete buttons as a special treat. it's not - believe me. chris and jim offered to help, so they got to do some work for me. i specifically *didn't* give them 'moderator' status so that nobody would get pissed they weren't "chosen".

but now i think i have the spam under control again and because it seems to be upsetting too many people that they weren't offered a delete button too, i think i can safely take back control again.

sweet jesus. :x

m.

4. Richard on Maui

Um, I was totally joking about my desire for "delete" priveleges. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would be happy to help out if it was needed, but you know me Murray, I think that one moderator is more than enough... :wink:
    Fair enough to delete the SPAM, noone is going to disagree with that, but bugger giving anyone editorial powers...

5. Richard on Maui

ps, when I called Christopher and JimBob bludgers I meant it in the nicest possible way. To me it is a term of endearment. It is ironic. The worst thing about the internet, of course, is that it doesn't handle irony very well...

6. murray

murray Junior Member

arrghh... why didn't you use the smile or a wink or something then?

i figured you were serious!

amen sister.

7. Richard on Maui

:lol: sorry :oops:
    but hang on, are you calling me a sissy?! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
    :lol: :wink:

8. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

lol Richard ya crawler! :p

Me thinks Murray has a lot on his plate not to notice the joke.

I say keep the hired hands Murray....just make sure the 'power' doesn't go to their heads! (insert a 'lol')

But seriously....tis a good idea.

:)

9. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

Look, I only offered to become a moderator so I could oppress Richard.

Really.

I wanted to pull on a pair of jackboots, and trample all over his RIGHTS.

I'm totally serious.

Bludger.

10. murray

murray Junior Member

ok, ok.. let's move on... :)

11. frosty

frosty Junior Member

ok then ........ moving on ....... has anyone else bothered to do a little research ....... seems deep oil may be a genuine thing

with fair use in mind here is a snipet from https://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645

12. greeny

greeny Junior Member

Fantastic link frosty. The site and its related sites totally validate most of what vialls said. Nutter or no ! Gold is highly respected.

" The deep-seated oil source at Eugene Island strongly supports T. Gold's theory about The Deep Hot Biosphere. Gold holds:

"that oil is actually a renewable, primordial syrup continually manufactured by the earth under ultrahot conditions and tremendous pressures. As this substance migrates toward the surface, it is attacked by bacteria, making it appear to have an organic origin dating back to the dinosaurs."

The apparent deep-seated oil source at Eugene Island and Gold's ideas make petroleum engineers wonder about a similar situation at the seemingly inexhaustible oil fields of the Middle East.

"The Middle East has more than doubled its reserves in the past 20 years, despite half a century of intense exploitation and relatively few new discoveries. It would take a pretty big pile of dead dinosaurs and prehistoric plants to account for the estimated 660 billion barrels of oil in the region, notes Norman Hyne, a professor at the University of Tulsa in Oklahoma. "Offthe-wall theories often turn out to be right," he says."

(Cooper, Christopher; "It's No Crude Joke: This Oil Field Grows Even as It's Tapped," Wall Street Journal, April 16, 1999. Cr. C. Casale.)

13. greeny

greeny Junior Member

Maybee this guy isn't a nutter. I found this from https://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr64.html It has ref.n sites. Is the possibility there that we could have been conned????
    "On June 21, the Los Angeles Times ran a story that the ever-growing 'Peak Oil' crowd seems to have missed. The article concerned the Shell oil refinery in Bakersfield, California that is scheduled to be shut down on October 1 -- despite the fact that the state of California (and the nation as a whole) is already woefully lacking in refinery capacity.

Now why do you suppose that Shell would want to close a perfectly good oil refinery? It can't be because there is no market for the goods produced there, since that obviously isn't the case. And it isn't due to a lack of raw materials, since the refinery sits, as the Times noted, atop "prolific oil fields." The Scotsman recently explained just how prolific those fields are:

The best estimates in 1942 indicated that the Kern River field in California had just 54 million barrels of remaining oil. By 1986, the field had produced 736 million barrels, and estimates put the remaining reserves at 970 million barrels. (https://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=578462004)

Times reporters discovered when they got their hands on internal company documents, that the refinery is wildly profitable. How wildly profitable? The Bakersfield plant's "profit of $11 million in May [2004] was 57 times what the company projected and more than double what it made in all of 2003." (Elizabeth Douglas "Shell to Cut Summer Output at Bakersfield Refinery, Papers Say," Los Angeles Times, June 21, 2004)

Go ahead and read that again: "more than double what it made in all of 2003." In a single month! And 2003 wasn't exactly what you would call a slow year at the Bakersfield refinery. According to Shell documents obtained by the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, "Bakersfield's refining margin at $23.01 per barrel, or about 55 cents profit per gallon, topped all of Shell's refineries in the nation."
    (https://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelea ... 4-04062004)

...""""

Given that situation, what response would we normally expect from that facility's parent corporation? Sit back and let the good times roll? Attempt to increase production at the facility and rake in even greater profits? Sell the facility and make a windfall profit? Or, tossing logic and rationality to the wind, shut the facility down and walk away?
    That last one, of course, is what Shell has chosen to do. And this story, believe it or not, gets even better:
    """"
    https://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelea ... 4-04062004)

Can any of you 'Peak Oil' boosters out there think of any legitimate reason why a purely profit-driven corporation would acquire an outrageously profitable asset and then proceed to deliberately destroy that asset? "
    I have deleted bits inbetween.""""
    Check the links, especially https://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr64.html

14. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

thanks to everyone taking time to can the spam.
    It really shitted me to come here and find that trash on line -
    I didn't think to offer to "help fight it - didn't know that it would be possible.

15. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Simple straight up answer Greenie is I don’t know - haven’t a clue… but let me indulge in some wildly unsubstantiated speculation…
    I googled shell and bakersfield to check there REALLY was such a field – the web allows people to make all sorts of unsubstantiated claims – just like I am about to do now.
    As at January 05 Shell sold the oil field to a company known as “Flying J”. I googled Flying J and didn’t learn very much… but its website does say this:

16. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

what absolute waffle this all is.
    fmd, wtf has politics got to do with gardening, permaculture and growing peaches?
    a lot of you's should look for a political forum and waffle your crap there.

no wonder there ain't anything happening here like it should be, the average permie enthusiast would run, who really gives a toss about politics that would come here appart from the few tossers that can't be bothered googling political forums and sign up there.

absolute waffle.

this site has lost the whole point of the excrcise.

Failed miserably.

just another political avenue for numb-nuts to express their political views to others that may listen, your partners and friends must of found your waffle boring years ago and you finding the internet to disperse your waffle has come down to posting it in unrelated forums as you probably don't have the intelligence to post your waffle in a real political forum as yous'd be found out that you's are just numb-nuts.

can't even get a strawberry jam recipe here anymore :(

17. murray

murray Junior Member

hey chickadee,
    hrmmm... not totally sure i agree with you since Geoff saw fit to post this article on peak oil on the main PRI site about 9 months ago now.

peak oil is of huge importance to all the permaculture people i know - david, bill, geoff and nadia.

draw your own conclusions, but i think permaculture is as much about oil as it is about strawberry jam. which is why it's so darn fascinatin'. 8)

cheers

m.

18. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Ben, thank you.

Greeny, the guy is a nutter, a whacko. Check his web site. If you have seen his website and still think maybe he isn't a nutter, then somethng is wrong with your cognitive abilities.

Why did Shell close its refinery in the US? Well, I dunno, it could be, perhaps, just maybe because its cheaper to do it in Mexico, where labour costs are 1/5th the US, and the Mexicans are less troubled by (coming NOW, sarcasm and irony) overly zealous environmental laws..... and the free trade agreements with Mexico make bringing it across the border free from duties. It would make good business sense for Shell (which is a Dutch company, BTW) to move its operation to Mexico or some other country, or mothball the plant until peak oil really hits and oil prices boom and extracting and refining that petroleum becomes more profitable.

Ben, I don't have any strawberry jam recipes, but I have some mango and pineapple recipes. You want those?

C

19. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

20. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Chickadee – you are spot on mate – I DO come here to discuss PO and other “whats happening in the world” concepts – which may or may not be called “politics”.
    And I DO come here because others in my non-cyber word aren't interested or dont want to discuss these things. So you are right. Put the PO posts are not the sum total of what is happening here on the PRI board. There's plenty of other posts covering the broad spectrum of permaculture.

I come here because I really enjoy and value the input of other who are interested in this topic (PO)and are reading and researching widely. Jez, (to name just one and not to overlook others) has posted some brilliant links to other sites to assist those of us with an interest to keep delving into this topic.

If you want to leave a recipe for strawberry jam, we'd all appreciate it – and if you want to request one – start a post with that request.